It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Sonovabench problem
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:02 pm 

So, with the playoffs starting and me having a bye, I need to take care of my sonofabench problem.

C: Martin
1B: Ad. Laroche
2B: Utley
3B: Atkins
SS: Hardy
OF: Sizemore
OF: Markakis
OF: Dunn
UT: Victorino
UT: B.J. Upton
B: Al. Ramirez
B: Cano

Yeah, my bench is a little too potent. I figured it would work itself out by September and I was completely wrong. I'm not sure I even need to upgrade from the FA pool, but I would like a little advice on how to handle this. As I write this, Cano's already 2/3 with a homer.

RP Street Hanrahan Fuentes E. Sanchez
BN T. Wood J-Zimm Lilly Beachy

Post subject: Re: Sonovabench problem
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:20 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

This is a weekly h2h, right? What week is the first round in which you will compete? And is the second round two weeks?

C- Martin
1B- Rizzo
2B- Pedroia
3B- Miggy
SS- Zobrist
IF- Cuddyer
OF- Heyward
OF- Joyce
OF- Ethier
OF- Kelly Johnson
UTIL- Berkman
BN- Dee Gordon
BN- Frazier
DL= Ajax

SP-Zimmermann
SP-Peavy
RP-Chapman
RP-Holland
RP-Bell
RP-A. Bailey
P-Ryu
P-Cobb
P-Odorizzi
BN-McCarthy
BN- Milone
BN-Wheeler
BN-Gausman
DL- Lewis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:43 pm 

AConstipatedMonkey wrote:
So, with the playoffs starting and me having a bye, I need to take care of my sonofabench problem.

C: Martin
1B: Ad. Laroche
2B: Utley
3B: Atkins
SS: Hardy
OF: Sizemore
OF: Markakis
OF: Dunn
UT: Victorino
UT: B.J. Upton
B: Al. Ramirez
B: Cano

Yeah, my bench is a little too potent. I figured it would work itself out by September and I was completely wrong. I'm not sure I even need to upgrade from the FA pool, but I would like a little advice on how to handle this. As I write this, Cano's already 2/3 with a homer.

Royce!'s question would help. Also, I'm having a hard time knowing what the problem is. You would prefer Cano hit a HR on your bench than on someone else's team, right? Are you asking if you should drop someone for someone else? If so, who are the other options that you would be picking up from -- preferably pitchers.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:46 pm 

I'd play Ramirez over Hardy. I would drop Hardy for a 1b - perhaps someone who can play when Laroche faces a lefty. If the trade deadline isn't done, i would try get a 1b for Utley and let Cano play. It is hard to waste him on the bench. Atkins is a 1b possibility if you can trade or pick up a 3b instead. I trust a guy like Beltre over Laroche if he can be found as a fa. You have a lot of options, and wasting a good hitter on your bench could end up costing you unless you have the balls to sit your better players with poor match-ups throughout the playoffs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:13 pm 

I apologize for the vagueness. The trade deadline has already passed, and other teams I'll see in the playoffs have dire needs at 2B and SS. I guess my question is "Should I keep these guys, or pick up more pitching? I'd hate to drop one of them, then someone gets injured and it weakens my team (especially since I've bee n very lucky in that department this season) in 2 weeks. This is my pitching Staff

SP: Lincecum
SP: E. Santana
RP: C. Perez
RP: F. Franscisco
RP: Capps
P: Fuentes
P: Danks
P: Shields
P: Maholm
BN: Y. Petit
BN: A. Harang
DL: Duchsherer
DL: Chamberlain

Konerko and Votto are the best 1B options. SPs are Wakefield, Blackburn, Cueto, Volstad, and Jurrjens (a whole lotta crap). I don't see dropping Cano or Al Ramirez for these guys.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:25 pm 

I think you should hold pat. Don't think of it being sonavabenched as much as not letting other teams get those guys.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:55 am 

Thanks, I appreciate the help. Of course there's a new development...Dunn's starts at first base (and this league counts BB for batters and pitchers.) This might be enough to solve all of my problems. If (when) Dunn gets the necessary requirements for 1B, what pitcher do you suggest I look at adding for LaRoche? These are the available options, looking for W and ERA (my K:BB ratio is a little over 3 for the season so a few walks wouldn't hurt much):

Wakefield, Blackburn, Carmona, Marcum (had him on my team the whole year until the minors stint, I can always go back and pray for hope), Jurrjens, Pedro, J. Francis, and Wandy.

Oh and I picked up Kershaw for Danks (it was fun while it lasted).

P.S. Is anyone else as amazed as I am that Ervin "Motherfucker, Recognize the new Johan" Santana has a K:BB of 4.25 and a K/9 of 9? And he almost didn't start the season as a starter? And he seems to be getting even better? I mean, this is more surprising in my mind than any other pitching performance this season. It's probably not fair to the rest of the league to have that kind of stuff and control combination that he currently has. And I was trying to GIVE him away while he was hot. He'll probably always give up the longball, but it might not matter anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:33 am 

AConstipatedMonkey wrote:
Wakefield, Blackburn, Carmona, Marcum (had him on my team the whole year until the minors stint, I can always go back and pray for hope), Jurrjens, Pedro, J. Francis, and Wandy.

I'd go Blackburn, Pedro, Wakefield (but not his next start), Francis, Carmona, Jurrjens, punt.

re: Ervin -- So true. He's a legit ace for the Angels and people will probably not draft him next year thinking this year was a fluke. Yet, his numbers don't say he's a fluke at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:41 am 

Thanks for all the help.........I might have to send you some cash if i win this league.

Watching the Angels/Tigers game now while I'm at lunch.........Ervin's got 2.0 IP, 3 K, one meekly hit prayer double by Renteria, painting corners with 97 mph fastballs. I'll be happy to take him in the 9th/10th round next year if people don't believe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:42 am 

I hear ya. I'm watching the Fogg/Gorz massacre. Only because I grabbed Bruce as a spot starter in one league.