It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Baseball books
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:53 pm 

Ha! That is awesome.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:57 pm 

BTW, have you read the Jacques Jones stuff yet?

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:01 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

There's a bit right at the beginning about when he talks to him during Spring Training. There may be some in-season stuff to come, but if there is, I haven't reached it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:33 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Reading Fantasyland convinced me to never join a fantasy baseball league (I think this is what my wife intended when giving it to me, although she did read it first). My resolve lasted a whole year!

Similarly, watching Super Size Me made me vow to never go to a fast food place again. So far I've altered that resolution to allow In N Out, taco trucks and bacon-wrapped hot dog stands (which are illegal in LA yet somehow continue to flourish). I think I may have been better off before, when there was at least an outside chance that I would choose Subway over some McNuggets.

C- Martin
1B- Rizzo
2B- Pedroia
3B- Miggy
SS- Zobrist
IF- Cuddyer
OF- Heyward
OF- Joyce
OF- Ethier
OF- Kelly Johnson
UTIL- Berkman
BN- Dee Gordon
BN- Frazier
DL= Ajax

SP-Zimmermann
SP-Peavy
RP-Chapman
RP-Holland
RP-Bell
RP-A. Bailey
P-Ryu
P-Cobb
P-Odorizzi
BN-McCarthy
BN- Milone
BN-Wheeler
BN-Gausman
DL- Lewis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:15 pm 

Here's hoping you never since the movie, Seven.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:39 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Nah, it's cool, I don't like spaghetti anyways...

In all seriousness, The Bad Guys Won is also a great read, especially for Mets fans. Or fans of drugs and booze and womanizing. And bar fights.

C- Martin
1B- Rizzo
2B- Pedroia
3B- Miggy
SS- Zobrist
IF- Cuddyer
OF- Heyward
OF- Joyce
OF- Ethier
OF- Kelly Johnson
UTIL- Berkman
BN- Dee Gordon
BN- Frazier
DL= Ajax

SP-Zimmermann
SP-Peavy
RP-Chapman
RP-Holland
RP-Bell
RP-A. Bailey
P-Ryu
P-Cobb
P-Odorizzi
BN-McCarthy
BN- Milone
BN-Wheeler
BN-Gausman
DL- Lewis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:47 pm 

I've been meaning to read that, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the reminder.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:44 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Veeck as in Wreck is amazing. The tone is definitely dated, but it really conveys how much richer the world is due to the contributions of one baseball fanatic. I've also been looking for a biography of Veeck- I read a short essay about him recently but it seemed like it was only passing on myths -- I mean, who drinks and smokes constantly and still manages to read a book every other day? (That along with running a major league team).

C- Martin
1B- Rizzo
2B- Pedroia
3B- Miggy
SS- Zobrist
IF- Cuddyer
OF- Heyward
OF- Joyce
OF- Ethier
OF- Kelly Johnson
UTIL- Berkman
BN- Dee Gordon
BN- Frazier
DL= Ajax

SP-Zimmermann
SP-Peavy
RP-Chapman
RP-Holland
RP-Bell
RP-A. Bailey
P-Ryu
P-Cobb
P-Odorizzi
BN-McCarthy
BN- Milone
BN-Wheeler
BN-Gausman
DL- Lewis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:08 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I have read Fantasyland and am a huge fan. I also read The Baseball Economist and really enjoyed that, especially as an economics major. I have a few suggestions if you guys are still looking for reads:

The Long Ball-Tom Adelman
Black and Blue-Tom Adelman
Crazy 08-Cait Murphy
The Last Best League-Jim Collins

I loved all of them. Black and Blue is about the 1966 World Series. The Long Ball is about the 1975 World Series. Crazy 08 is a very well researched/documented account of the 1908 pennant race between the Giants, Cubs, and Pirates. The Last Best League is about the Cape Cod League. They're all very good.

2b-Hill
3b-Longoria
ss-Reyes
of-Werth,Jennings, Choo
util-Byrd
util-Alex Gordon
sp-Kershaw, Harvey, Minor, Bailey, Ryu, Jose Fernandez, Garza, Kazmir
rp-Soriano, Janssen, Holland
dl-CarGo, Moore
n/a-Braun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:45 am 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QC ... B001QCYUF2

For $3.31, this is a great compilation of some great writing. There's an article on Greg Maddux that just blew me away.

Quote:
On one occasion while sitting on the bench, Maddux once told his teammates, "Watch this, we might need to call an ambulance for the first base coach." The batter, Los Angeles' José Hernández, drove the next pitch into the chest of the Dodgers' first base coach. Maddux had noticed that Hernandez, who'd been pitched inside by Braves pitching during the series, had shifted his batting stance slightly.

All kinds of great stuff in the book on Fidrych, Yogi Berra, too much to name. Really great writing going back at least 50 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next