It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Potential terms
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:47 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Throwing a lot out here, seeing what sticks...

Star Mitzvah: That point when the consensus agrees that a promising player has become a bonafide, top-3 rounds stud (i.e; Carlos Gonzalez' was in mid-July).
(Scott) Downs Syndrome: A guy who has the talent and situation to close, but it just never works out.
Co-Cain: Lincecum's nickname as the other ace starter on the team.
Brandon Wood: The erection you get each offseason from prospects that have yet to match their potential.
Kerry Wood: The erection you get from nabbing a fairly solid closer in the 12th round and beyond.
Stras-pect: A singularly elite potential talent.
Gamel Toe: Lacking the footwork to adequately man a position in the major leagues.

Post subject: Re: Potential terms
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:36 pm 

misterflak wrote:
Throwing a lot out here, seeing what sticks...

Star Mitzvah: That point when the consensus agrees that a promising player has become a bonafide, top-3 rounds stud (i.e; Carlos Gonzalez' was in mid-July).
(Scott) Downs Syndrome: A guy who has the talent and situation to close, but it just never works out.
Co-Cain: Lincecum's nickname as the other ace starter on the team.
Brandon Wood: The erection you get each offseason from prospects that have yet to match their potential.
Kerry Wood: The erection you get from nabbing a fairly solid closer in the 12th round and beyond.
Stras-pect: A singularly elite potential talent.
Gamel Toe: Lacking the footwork to adequately man a position in the major leagues.

Downs Syndrome is already a term.

Not crazy about Co-Cain... The term.

Brandon Wood - Eh

Kerry Wood - Eh

Straspect - Eh

Gamel Toe - Eh

Star Mitzvah is great. I'll run it by Rudy for the coronation but I think he'd agree. Well played.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:07 am 

I like Star Mitzvah and Gamel Toe.

Definition tweaks:

Star Mitzvah: When a baseball bubala realizes his potential and becomes a man in the eyes of fantasy baseball players drafting in the first three rounds. Example: Carlos Gonzalez had his Star Mitzvah in mid-July 2010....mazel tov!).

Gamel Toe: When a player's prominent lack of defensive skills becomes awkwardly visible for all to see. In some cases, a change of position will alleviate the situation but, in more chronic cases, it requires the player turn in their uniform. Example: Mat Gamel has such Gamel Toe that the second T in his first name got sucked into it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:32 am 

after review, star mitzvah added. gamel toe declined b/c we shy way from singling out a player to preserve the timelessness of the glossary....

in its place, we're going with:

LUZR - A player whose defensive value (aka UZR) is so low that he's limited to DHing or a team so desperate to suffer the defensive consequences (see Jack Cust, Brad Hawpe, Travis Hafner)

thanks for the good suggestions!
rudy