It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Keeps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:00 pm 

Hi guys,

I'm in a 14-team (ML universe), 5X5 league. We keep 4 players from year to year --- nothing tied to dollar values or draft picks, so it's really all about talent and upside. My current options are as follows:

Reyes
Markakis
Hart
Quentin
Soto
Pedroia

I'm thinking Reyes, Markakis and Quentin are locks, but the last one is giving me trouble a bit. Hart is 5-tool paradise, but do I really want to keep 3 outfielders? Is there more value in keeping Soto (or maybe even Pedroia) who are at thin positions and have upside as well?

Post subject: Re: Keeps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:13 pm 

Corey Hart's a 25/25/.280 hitter. You gotta keep him. Looks like you'll have a kickass OF next year. Not the worst thing to have.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:28 pm 

Thanks.

And I hope someone on staff will take the time to dissect the keeper genius over at ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball...tory?id=3525205

Quentin at 65? Really?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:53 am 

Just wanted to see if your mind is changing on my list. Mine might be. With Pedroia's two steals yesterday, he's up to #13 in the ESPN player rater. I've gotta keep him, right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:22 am 

Corey is at 41 and Pedroia's getting powered by an average that is .40 above Hart. Personally I'd want a potential 30/30/.285 guy in my OF then a 15/15/.320 guy at 2nd. The positional advantage Pedroia has doesn't sway me enough to his side. They're a bit closer now, but I still want Hart.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:36 pm 

Also, HArt can get better and Pedroia is maxed out at what his numbers will be this year. When planning keepers in a league that doesn't allow many I would never worry about position. There will be too many guys available at all positions to think about that. You need your keepers to be as good as possible to have a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:10 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Gotta side with Grey here, Hart's upside is Sizemore, downside is Crawford. Dustin Pedroia's upside is, well, Dustin Pedroia.

I've always called Corey Hart a poor mans Grady Sizemore, as long as he doesn't wear his sunglasses at night. OOMMPAA

10 team Roto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:03 am 

Thanks, guys. I'm glad I won't have to make any decisions until next Spring. It will give me time to get rational again. I have a midget man crush on Pedroia right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:40 am 

I'm really down on Corey Hart now. He didn't even finish top-30 in OF on ESPN Player Rater. Not sure he can win back my love in the offseason. I know he still has potential, but he really does look like the white Torii Hunter in his ability to throw up a crap average and ruin your season. I'm going with Pedroia, for sure. Unless you can convince me to keep Rios.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:05 am 

They definitely moved closer to each other as Hart did everything in his power to look like he should've been benched in those final weeks as he put together the worst month of his career. Meanwhile, Pedroia put together an MVP season. All I'm going to say for now, if Pedroia hits 3 home runs and steals 3 bases a month next year, he'll be very valuable as a 2nd basemen. He won't be the least bit exciting. If you ignore Hart's final month, he's still a plus or minus 25/25/.280 player. Pedroia is a plus or minus 15/15/.310 player. At his position, he's valuable, for sure. But I still want Hart for next year.