LOGIN

Fancy meeting you here, and look at you: all dressed up with no place to go. As the season winds down, some are focused on last-minute playoff help (I try to appease you below), while others are reflecting on the past season. Let’s try to focus on the positives and learn a little something. I’m curious to hear which player you think is most deserving of the “OPS League MVP Award”. Let’s stay away from Miguel Cabrera, who was obviously great, but cost you a high draft pick. I’m looking for guys who provided value that far exceeded what they cost you on draft day and were truly a gift from the fantasy baseball gods. This will ideally help to provide us with a list of potential targets for next season (don’t worry; nobody else besides us will see this). Anyway, for those of you fortunate enough to still be in contention, here are some potential targets:

Matt Joyce – I want to use him to address a larger point. Sorry for using you, Matt! Here’s the deal, as the season winds down, each remaining day is that much more important. You want to fill those empty spots in your lineup on days with few games and play the matchups, where it appears to provide a clear advantage. Joyce is one of the best because he is the proud owner of an .850 OPS against righties. This season, I’ve repeatedly said, “He’s probably on your waiver wire. If you can bench him against lefties, pick him up and do so.” You know what to do.

Jason Castro – What’s hotter than being hot? Ice cold! Err, I mean, Castro!

Carlos Ruiz – What’s a lesser degree of being hot relative to Jason Castro? Carlos Ruiz! That rolls right off the tongue, doesn’t it?

Darin Ruf – Just because he surfaced in the majors later than the typically successful major leaguer, doesn’t mean that he has to fall off a cliff soon. And who would want that anyway? Player age is overrated. Did I just say that aloud? No, it merely looks like I typed it…

Dustin Ackley – Don’t look now, but Ackley’s having a nice month. Ok, go ahead and look. I’ll still be here when you come back.

Adam Eaton – Oh, Adam. I’d been lusting after you all season and now that the year is nearly over you decide to be all, “Now I’m healthy and I’ll hit.” That’s cruel, Adam. Not quite Carlos Quentin cruel, but cruel nonetheless. Although you know that I could never stay mad at you. Don’t worry, I won’t randomly bench you to teach you a lesson. Just please continue to hit and save my playoff aspirations. Or at the very least, figure out a way to keep David Ortiz healthy for the rest of the season, because that would certainly save my team. (End scene).

Nick Swisher – He’s had an up and down year, and probably another cliché or two as well. Somehow he’s available in a few leagues, so I’m obligated to list him per my contract.

Donnie Murphy – I don’t understand it either. Next question?

Tom Jacks is sporadically on Twitter @votetomjacks