LOGIN

There’s no Reyes, Rollins or Hanley on this list of shortstops.  This list is guys that can be had later in your drafts if you’ve punted shortstop or still are looking for a middle infielder.  Look at this as a supplement to the top 20 shortstops of 2009 fantasy baseball list.  If you’re feeling especially industrious, click on the players name to read more about them or to see their 2009 projections.  Anyway, here’s some shortstops to target for 2009 fantasy baseball:

Ryan Theriot/Jason Bartlett – Exactly the kind of late-round shortstop you should be targeting when you’re feeling light on speed.  They’d be a nice MI complement if you had Hardy as your shortstop.  And if you get scooped on Theriot, just grab Bartlett.

Brandon Wood – Earlier this offseason, I said this, “Not sure yet what the Angels of Bobby Grichville have planned for Wood in 2009, but he has eligibility at 3rd and SS, which gives him the Superfecta eligibility of MI and CI.  Keep in mind that he was booted from a winter league for his poor performance. (The same league where convicted pedophile Luis Polonia is now the career hits leader. No lie; he’s the Pete Rose of the Dominican.)”  And that’s me quoting me!

Clint Barmes – What if I told you he was going to out produce Yunel?  You’d say, “Is that a compliment?”

Julio Lugo/Jed Lowrie – I wanted Lowrie to get the job just to put some flare in my MI spot, but it doesn’t look like it’s happening.  Lugo looks like the man to beat at shortstop and he’s good for 25 steals.  Either man could be a late round sleeper for an MI spot in deep leagues.

Asdrubal Cabrera – Remember that movie Clueless when they said, “As IF!”  When I read this shortstop’s name, I always hear it with that inflection, “As DRUBAL!”  Hmm… I’m pushing the Drubal pretty hard this offseason.  Well, he’s a cheap MI candidate so put that in your pipe and smoke it!  If you were, ya know, Popeye or Sherlock Holmes.