LOGIN

Yeah, I’ll be that guy. Maybe it’s because I don’t own Zack Greinke in any leagues, but I’m not exactly outraged by the whole “incident.” In fact, this has only led to Carlos Quentin being available nearly everywhere, so OPS league owners should be grateful in a way (unless, of course, they own Greinke or are a Dodgers’ fan). Do I feel sorry for Zack? Sure, but that might be what you get for making a deal with the Devil Scott Boras. Also, it’s not the worst thing to make about a million bucks a week while you’re on the disabled list. Last time I messed up my collarbone, I just got a big hospital bill…

So I wrote about Carlos a couple weeks ago, before you know what, and said, “Why is he available in so many leagues? Please pick him up for me. The Padres are benching him a little initially, but he appears to be healthy, so his playing time should become more frequent in the near future. In February, I said, “A .250/.350/.490 line should be attainable when healthy.” I still think that’s his baseline, which might be the best OPS guy you can find on waivers in most leagues.” I’m going to stand by my quote within a quote and strongly recommend picking him up unless your league has “being a nice guy” as a category. In which case, you should value Nick Swisher even more. Anyway, here are a few other players that I’m following every breath they take in OPS leagues:

Joey Votto – Isn’t he just dreamy? I’ve written before about how his walk rate has continued to increase each year and he hasn’t disappointed me this season. As of when I’m writing this, he has 25 walks, while the entire Chicago White Sox team has 31 walks. What makes him even more remarkable is that no other hitter has more than 15. Could he have a walk rate above 20% on the year? Yes sir. Ok, I’ll stop my fawning, but I just wanted to point out how impressive and valuable he is, especially in OBP leagues and considering that Dusty is probably telling him to bunt.

J.P. Arencibia – All he does is hit home runs and that’s fine with me. Somehow he’s still available in 40% of ESPN leagues. I wouldn’t bet against him hitting 30 homers this year, albeit with a low OBP, but you wouldn’t complain about a .500 slugging, would you?

Kyle Seager – I almost wrote about him last week, but then I yawned. People are dropping him for whatever reason, so he’s a good buy low (free?) option. I expect slight improvement upon last year’s numbers and believe that he should be owned in all but the shallowest of leagues. Don’t fear the Seager.

Matt Joyce – He’s probably on your waiver wire. If you can bench him against lefties, pick him up and do so. I’m not at all worried by his slow start and expect him to produce at a similar level to last season going forward. Although, I’d pick up Seth Smith first, if he’s also available.

Mark Reynolds – His value is about as high as it’s going to get. Sell high while (and if) you can. There’s a storm coming and it’s going to include heavy wind from Mark’s whiffs, with a high chance of golden sombreros.

Adam Dunn – Can I really bring myself to recommend Adam Dunn? No, not really, but I’m all for backhanded compliments. Let’s just say that I think he won’t be much worse than Reynolds for the rest of the season. Mark or Harold? Your choice.