It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Grey, what is it going to take for ESPN to buy you?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:34 am 

I guess I don't see you writing here for much longer. Of course it's a sweet little corner of the internets, but I can only imagine the work you put in just to get some Daquiris.

Won't mention any names but I've seen first hand another fantasy writer plucked from his site where people knew his content was superior to his forum.

Maybe it's not ESPN. Maybe it's yahoo. Or CNNSI. Someone with money. But let's say ESPN, because that's most fun. :)

Where do you have to draw the line and pack your bags?

1) ESPN offers you $100k a year to post a cheatsheet and write a weekly article.

2) ESPN offers you $100k plus tickets to any sporting events you want to go to as long as you write a page 2 article on your adventures.

3) ESPN offers you $200k, tickets to whatever you want, fires their whole fantasy staff (suck it Mass and Berry!), and lets you bring in whoever you want for projections, war room, etc.

4) ESPN offers you $200k, tickets, staff control, and Berry has to stay on and do assistant things like fetch you coffee, take photos of Erin Andrews, and search for birth certificates of Latin players. (See, this is getting good!) :twisted:

5) Everybody has their price, Grey. What is yours?

Been wanting to ask this. Figured this would be the best forum to hide it from the masses....and the Mass'

(No, I'm not an ESPN exec.)

8-)

Last edited by Terrence Mann on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Grey, what is it going to take for ESPN to buy you?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:30 am 

Terrence Mann wrote:
I guess I don't see you writing here for much longer. Of course it's a sweet little corner of the internets, but I can only imagine the work you put in just to get some Daqiris.

Won't mention any names but I've seen first hand another fantasy writer plucked from his site where people knew his content was superior to his forum.

Maybe it's not ESPN. Maybe it's yahoo. Or CNNSI. Someone with money. But let's say ESPN, because that's most fun. :)

Where do you have to draw the line and pack your bags?

1) ESPN offers you $100k a year to post a cheatsheet and write a weekly article.

2) ESPN offers you $100k plus tickets to any sporting events you want to go to as long as you write a page 2 article on your adventures.

3) ESPN offers you $200k, tickets to whatever you want, fires their whole fantasy staff (suck it Mass and Berry!), and lets you bring in whoever you want for projections, war room, etc.

4) ESPN offers you $200k, tickets, staff control, and Berry has to stay on and do assistant things like fetch you coffee, take photos of Erin Andrews, and search for birth certificates of Latin players. (See, this is getting good!) :twisted:

5) Everybody has their price, Grey. What is yours?

Been wanting to ask this. Figured this would be the best forum to hide it from the masses....and the Mass'

(No, I'm not an ESPN exec.)

8-)

4 sounds nice.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:18 pm 

I can see it now... Grey listens to a message from an ESPN executive, expressing interest in purchasing Razzball and acquiring his services. "We'll need to go over the site in a bit more detail, Mr. Albright, but it seems like you've got a ton of great content and it's all delivered with an interesting edge." Grey rushes to the computer...

find: looks like Michael Bolton from Office Space
replace with: exudes King Solomon like wisdom

Hello, ESPN? Yes, I received your message and I'd be happy to discuss this matter in more detail.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:06 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

HA! Move razzhq to Disneyland. A 4 way cube in the Enchanted Castle with Rudy, Grey, Karabel, and AJ Mass. That would produce some enchanted content and alcohol abuse.

c: Mauer
1b: Votto
2b: BP
ss:
3b: Longoria
OF: Cargo, Heyward,
Utilx2:Huff
B:
DL:

SP: Kershaw
Sp: Verlander
Sp: John Danks
Sp: Doc
Sp: Cahill
SP: Ted Lilly
Sp: Ian Kennedy
Sp: Hammel
Sp: Lowe
Sp: Anibal, Garland, Narvy,Zambrano, Niese, & Duensing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:28 pm 

Terrence Mann wrote:

No, ESPN knew that TMR's content was superior to its own. TMR's forum is what it was - awesome. It was always evolving and was simply too good to be true. Most of the fantasy content you see over there was copied from the TMR site.

I registered recently and enjoy this site. If the WWL gets a hold of Grey, I hope you long-time Razzball members aren't to attatched to razzball.com, because it will be gone!

yahoo! public H2H 520690
C napoli 1B m.cabrera 2B kendrick 3B beltre SS jeter OF ethier/bay/hamilton UT fielder/abreu BN ellsbury/j.lopez
SP greinke/lee RP bell/clippard P jenks/rauch/price/burnett BN j.garcia/latos/correia DL street

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:38 pm 

I still don't think the style here works for the WWL (in a good way) although money will always talk. They saw TMR as having a "cult" following, knowledgeable, and possessing a personality edge to spice things up around their dull fantasy department. However, he was also seen as moldable, still having a desire for the spotlight, and ultimately could be completely turned into a company man.

When TMR closed up shop I think it left a bitter taste in quite a few people's mouths who were completely left behind. However, he brought many of his staff members along for the ride to help re-shape the fantasy department over at ESPN... with a staff of two here I see the impact and/or threat to the WWL being much less.

I also just recently signed up (been a reader for about a year) with jump after attempting (semi-unsuccessfully) to run our own boards since the TMR site shutdown. Let's hope that Razzy doesn't go down the same road and that we can continue a long life here.

"The worst thing that can happen to a gambler is to win."

"When you bet on a dog only three things can happen; two of them are good."

Follow all my tweeting nonsense @TheRealestDan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:06 am 

I'm with jumphook and havok on this issue.

The old TMR site was great - but the boards there were awesome! Questions got attention almost immediately, and the answers were well thought out and quite helpful.

There was spirited debate that (mostly) stayed above the "you suck" mentality that tWWL boards have devolved to.

There was a core group of TMR.com board members who ran their own board after TMR shut down. Their site was also very good, but membership never really took off.

Now I see many of those posters have come to Razzball. I hope they stick around, because I think the RB boards could use a few more voices/viewpoints, and could really be a nice complement to what Grey and Rudy are doing on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:24 am 

bookiebob wrote:
Now I see many of those posters have come to Razzball. I hope they stick around, because I think the RB boards could use a few more voices/viewpoints, and could really be a nice complement to what Grey and Rudy are doing on a daily basis.

^^That would be awesome.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:00 am 

I'm in it for the long haul now bookie, but you know this.

"The worst thing that can happen to a gambler is to win."

"When you bet on a dog only three things can happen; two of them are good."

Follow all my tweeting nonsense @TheRealestDan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:48 pm 

jumphook14 wrote:
Terrence Mann wrote:

No, ESPN knew that TMR's content was superior to its own. TMR's forum is what it was - awesome. It was always evolving and was simply too good to be true. Most of the fantasy content you see over there was copied from the TMR site.

I registered recently and enjoy this site. If the WWL gets a hold of Grey, I hope you long-time Razzball members aren't to attatched to razzball.com, because it will be gone!

I'm not referring to TMR. Rather, a guy I know that jumped ship on a site and moved on to greener pastures. I don't really blame him. Like I mentioned, his writing and content were superior to his forum.