LOGIN

The Minor League Baseball season has reached it’s glorious culmination.  Well, actually, it’s not very glorious.  No, no one really cares who wins in the New York-Penn semis, or the International League title, or the Midwest League championship.  It’s just not that interesting.  Not even for me.  Sure, organizations do their best to instill winning attitudes throughout their farm systems, and I absolutely agree that’s important.  It’s why Jeff Luhnow is still tweeting crap like “#JETHAWKS WIN”.  Yay, Jethawks… It’s fun for the players, I suppose.  It’s fun for the small-town fans, too.  And it’s a small source of pride for player development types.  But that’s about the extent of it.  All that said, the various MiLB playoffs are still worth keeping an eye on, if only for the handful of real-deal prospects who’re performing on a slightly grander stage than usual.  So, to wrap up this year’s Minor Accomplishments series, I leave you with a brief rundown of what’s happening with some of the more notable prospects in their respective postseasons:

Mike Zunino | C, Mariners — The third overall pick this past June has been simply incredible since signing.  His dominance has continued in the Double-A Southern League playoffs:  Zunino’s blasted 3 homers and posted a .400+ AVG for Jackson.

Jose Fernandez | RHP, Marlins — My breakout pitching prospect of the year didn’t seem rattled by the rowdy atmosphere (maybe?) of the Florida State League playoffs, allowing only four baserunners in his most recent outing.  Fernandez will rocket up into the top ten of many prospect lists this offseason after allowing a miniscule .191 BAA on the year.

Wil Myers | OF, Royals — Myers has collected some big hits in the PCL playoffs, including two long balls.  Alas, KC refuses to start his big league service clock, and I’m thinking we won’t see him ’til next May.

Andrew Heaney | LHP, Marlins — I told y’all about Heaney back in May as part of my pre-draft primer.  The 9th overall pick whiffed 9 batters in 4.2 frames earlier this week in the Low-A South Atlantic League playoffs.

James Paxton | LHP, Mariners — Paxton put together a quietly decent year at Double-A Jackson, but there was nothing subtle about his outing earlier this week:  7 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K.

Carlos Martinez | RHP, Cardinals — Martinez allowed only 5 baserunners through seven scoreless frames, striking out 7 in his most recent outing for Double-A Springfield.  The undersized flame-thrower has been outstanding on the year, but I’m concerned about his durability going forward, and I’m afraid high-leverage relief may be his destiny.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

Christian Yelich | OF, Marlins — Yelich’s hit tool is first-rate, and it’s been on display this postseason.  The 20-year-old posted a .400+ AVG in the Florida State League playoffs.

Taijuan Walker | RHP, Mariners — Walker flashed some of his limitless potential on Thursday, striking out 9 and walking zero through 5.1 scoreless.

Brandon Weeden | QB, Browns — Weeden’s career-long command troubles were on full display last Sunday as he offered up four interceptions versus Philly.  Shouldn’t his 1.57 WHIP over five seasons in MiLB have tipped Cleveland off to the fact that this dude can’t hit his spots?