LOGIN

Stephen Strasburg gave up 6 hits and 5 ER versus Miami last night,  just when you needed him most. The Strasborg showed his human side and had a major malfunction in what should be his final home start, getting shelled by Giancarlo Stanton (2-for-5 with his 31st HR) and the Marlins. Ouch, the Stream-O-Nator really loved this start too. There are few players that get me more excited than Stephen Strasburg, but Giancarlo “More POWER” Stanton is one of them. So this one was bittersweet for me. If anyone’s gonna beat him, might as well be Mike. This is the second start in the past 3 where Miami put a 5-spot up on St. Rasburg, and he certainly isn’t ending his season as strong as fantasy owners would like. Is it possible that maybe possibly, just maybe Nats GM Mike Rizzo was right all along to shut him down before the postseason? Someone give that man a large trophy. But wait — what’s this, Washington’s Manager Davey Johnson said Strasburg’s shortened start yesterday could possibly open the door to a BONUS start? Spit-take!? Fantasy owners rejoice. Or worse, after his poor performance, the Nats may decide to shut him down for good. Oh no! Davey insists the shutdown is tearing Strassy apart, he feels like he’s letting his bros down, it’s affecting his focus and it showed last night. We’ll have to wait and see what they decide to do but in all likelihood Strasburg has just one start left and I have a feeling he ain’t going out like that. Look for him to bring the greatness Wednesday versus the Mets.

Here’s what else happened in fantasy baseball Friday night:

Alex Rodriguez — 2-for-4 with a 2-run HR. A-Rod gets a lot of criticism for this contract, his durability, his attitude, his hair, his taste in women, etc., but the guy likely made it back just in time for your head-to-head playoffs, and he’s got a hit in each of his 5 games back to go along with 4 RBIs. So yeah, how about that, A-Rod owners?

Manny Machado — 2-for-4 with his 4th home run. Macho Manny Machado credits his early big league success to his pre-game “eat 10 slim jims” ritual. Oh yeeeah! I am definitely drafting you next year.

Derek Jeter — 3-for-5 with an RBI. By now everyone knows about those gift baskets filled with memorabilia Jeter gives out to those ladies luck enough to bed the Yankees shortstop. Am I a jerk for thinking this is awesome? “No Minka Kelly, I’m sorry you can’t stay for breakfast but here’s a whole bunch of crap I autographed…” Uhh, heck yeah I’m gonna take a bunch of shizz signed by one of the greatest shortstops ever, and I’m not even a Yankee fan. Why don’t you see that, Minka?

Jose Altuve — 1-for-2 with a run and a SB. Left in the 3rd inning with an abdominal strain, it isn’t thought to be too serious but he likely will sit Saturday. I love me some J.altuve, but if he’s set to miss any extended amount of time I won’t hesitate to find a replacement quick. It’s the playoffs, brah!

Matt Dominguez — 2-for-3 with a 3-run HR. Came in to replace Altuve and ended up hitting the game winning bomb off The One Who Closes, Aroldis Chapman (1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 ER) . The craziest part about this is the untouchable Aroldis blew a save against the AAAstros! Bwha?!? He did what!? But how? At this point he is more closer than man.

Jason Heyward — 2-for-4 with a HR. Jay-Hey is batting .277 with 25 HRs and 19 SBs. I will — nay, must own him next year. I will probably draft him way too early. And I then will win the championship. I already can’t wait.

Derek Holland — 8.0 IP, 1 ER, 11Ks. Holland still isn’t owned in half of ESPN fantasy leagues and he’s been as solid as they come and the Ks are there (36 Ks in 7 starts since August). In the right match ups, he’s definitely worth owning, and next Wednesday versus Cleveland is the right match up.

Michael Young — 1-for-4 with his 7th HR. Now has 8 hits and 3 HRs in his past 6 games, i.e. since you dropped him.

Ben Zobrist — 1-for-4 with the game-winning 2-run HR in the 11th inning. Another player I want on my team(s) next year, especially with that sweet, sweet shortstop eligibility. BenZo knows what I’m talking about.

Starlin Castro — 3-for-5 with 4 RBIs and a SB. Oh Starlin. Please believe me. I didn’t drop you yet , but I thought about it. Not a great day for the SELLs this week, Starlin had a huge game and Dan Uggla was 2-for4 with a HR as well. I still ain’t gonna be mad at you if you go with better options if they’re available.

Travis Wood — 6.0 IP, 1 H, 5 Ks and his 5th win. I can only imagine the wood Travis got from pitching this game. Can you believe this Pirates team was in contention just a few weeks ago?

Jeff Francis — 5.2 IP, 0 ER , 7 Ks. Yes, that line looks real nice but beware — he is not to be trusted.

Dewayne Wise — 2-for-4 with his 7th HR as he hit third. Alright, alright I’m pick him up already. Quit nagging me. Grey told you BUY him, not sure what took me so long.

Lorenzo Cain — 2-for-5 with 2 HRs and 3 RBIs. He stole 2 bases Thursday. I instantly like anyone named Lorenzo, but this could be the start of a hot schmotato beginning to spud. Leading off, he could be valuable in the stretch, I’d keep my eye on him.

Felix Hernandez — 4.2 IP, 11 H, 5 ER. Real tough breaks for the Stream-O-Nator tonight with the Strasburg, A.J. Burnett and even Felix’s outings going to shizz. I blame the A’s, those Billy Beaners defy the stats!

Chris Perez — 1.0 IP, 1 ER and his 35th save. Assured management post game that were he on the Detroit Tigers he’d have twice as many (70) saves. Can you imagine? 70 saves!

Josh Willingham — 2-for-3 with 3 RBIs. No wonder Perez likes him so much.

Russ Canzler — 3-for-4 with a HR. Has had a hit in every game he’s played since being called up September 1. I had an incredibly tasteless joke here, but instead I’m going to let you wonder what could have been. I am a good person!

Andrew Cashner — 5.0, 2 ER, 5 Ks.  Grey told you to BUY him and I agree. Straight Cash-ner, homey. I’m a sucker for those Ks, plus he’ll get Colorado at Petco next week, so what’s not to love.

Tom Layne — Blew the save in the 8th inning, but this one was really Dale Thayer’s fault, and Layne didn’t get the chance to stick around and save face. My boy Luke Gregerson pitched the ninth for his 5th save and remains the best option for  saves in San Diego and the one who could bring balance back to the Padres bullpen. (I realize now I am incapable of not making a Star Wars reference with any player named Luke. Luke Scott, you’ve been warned!) Use the force Luke!

A.J. Griffin — 5.1, 1 ER, 7 Ks. Grey told you to BUY him, too! And pick him up quickly, I’ll wait. Like the mythical creature with whom he shares his name, Griffin was a beast last night and grabbed his 5th win, lowering his ERA to 2.21 in just 10 games started.

Tim Lincecum — 6.1 IP, 2 ER, 7 K. Timmy also walked 7 in this one! Sheesh. He got the no decision, but Lincecum won the battle of which pitcher would you rather own this year if you must own one of them (someone who is way too into fantasy baseball is holding a gun to your head), defeating Josh Beckett (6.1 IP, 4 ER, 3 Ks), who has managed to be a colossal disappointment across two leagues. Hard to believe these guys are barely ownable in 10 team leagues.

Ervin Santana — 6.2 IP, 2 ER, 10 Ks. Two of the MLB’s most prolific offenses combined to strikeout 22 times. That’s just good baseball right there, folks.

Join us next Saturday for another Friday recap, as fantasy baseball continues next week, all week long!