It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Draft thoughts?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:26 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Meant to post last week. 12-team, H2H, points-based (hitters: +1 BB, -1 K)(pitchers: +10 w, -3 L, +1 K/IP, -1 BB), 3 keepers. 15 starters, 23-player roster.

C: K. Suzuki (12th rd)
1B: M. Cabrera (1st rd), Helton (10th)
2B: G. Beckham (15th rd keeper)
3B: Aramis Ramirez (5th rd), M. Young (11th), Headley (22nd)
SS: Bartlett (8th)
OF: Ellsbury (2nd rd), M. Ramirez (3rd rd), Span (16th rd keeper), Ludwick (20th)
SP: Vazquez (4th rd), S. Baker (6th), Garza (7th), De La Rosa (9th), Cliff Lee (13th rd keeper), E. Santana (18th), Lowe (19th), Hochevar (23rd)
RP: F. Cordero (14th), Hoffman (21st)
U: V. Guerrero (17th), every other hitter

Overall, I'm happy with my draft. Didn't care for Manny as my 3rd rder. I had to decide between him and Jason Bay. I like Manny's upside in a contract year hitting in the Dodgers lineup. He put up 535 points in 08 whereas Bay hasn't broken the 500 point barrier yet in his career. I landed Ellsbury at a nice spot (19th overall), considering he put up 522 pts last year, #2 OF and #6 hitter overall.

The Helton pick is a bit questionable, given he may lose at-bats to Giambi. He did put up 448 pts last season though, 7th 1B overall (ahead of Morneau, Votto, Morales, Youkilis, Berkman, Butler).

I landed Bartlett, K. Suzuki and F. Cordero on the front side of position runs, so those picks were Ok by me, even if slight reaches.

Once Cliff Lee is off the DL, I'd like to think my rotation will be solid, especially with the late E. Santana and Hochevar picks as potential surprises. If some combination of Garza, Baker and De La Rosa takes another step up, watch out. Vazquez won't repeat his 09 ERA, but maybe he'll get a couple more wins and avoid a couple losses to make up for it.

Also like my late round hitters: Vlad, Ludwick and Headley. All three hit in the middle of the order and could surprise some people. Good risk/reward picks.

Trying to trade Lowe + Helton for either a bat or an arm, but nothing yet. One owner is starting Glaus, another Butler and another Dunn (remember Ks are -1), so if Helton gets a decent start, I think he'll be attractive. A couple owners also have some shaky SPs, either due to injury or youth risk...so Lowe could also become attractive as well. Since I'm not getting any decent offers, I'll hold onto them for a bit.

Any thoughts on my draft?

Start one player at each position + utility, 4 SPs, 2 RPs. 8 reserves.

C: M. Montero
1B: Allen Craig
2B: Kinsler
3B: Longoria
SS: Segura
OF: Bautista, Holliday, Melky Cabrera
U: one of Pedroia, Blackmon, Dickerson or Carlos Beltran
SP: Wainwright, Iwakuma, Sonny Gray, Cobb
RP: Kimbrel, F. Rodney
Bench: Archer, Kennedy, Arrieta, McHugh

Post subject: Re: Draft thoughts?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:31 pm 

Deltron wrote:
Meant to post last week. 12-team, H2H, points-based (hitters: +1 BB, -1 K)(pitchers: +10 w, -3 L, +1 K/IP, -1 BB), 3 keepers. 15 starters, 23-player roster.

C: K. Suzuki (12th rd)
1B: M. Cabrera (1st rd), Helton (10th)
2B: G. Beckham (15th rd keeper)
3B: Aramis Ramirez (5th rd), M. Young (11th), Headley (22nd)
SS: Bartlett (8th)
OF: Ellsbury (2nd rd), M. Ramirez (3rd rd), Span (16th rd keeper), Ludwick (20th)
SP: Vazquez (4th rd), S. Baker (6th), Garza (7th), De La Rosa (9th), Cliff Lee (13th rd keeper), E. Santana (18th), Lowe (19th), Hochevar (23rd)
RP: F. Cordero (14th), Hoffman (21st)
U: V. Guerrero (17th), every other hitter

Overall, I'm happy with my draft. Didn't care for Manny as my 3rd rder. I had to decide between him and Jason Bay. I like Manny's upside in a contract year hitting in the Dodgers lineup. He put up 535 points in 08 whereas Bay hasn't broken the 500 point barrier yet in his career. I landed Ellsbury at a nice spot (19th overall), considering he put up 522 pts last year, #2 OF and #6 hitter overall.

The Helton pick is a bit questionable, given he may lose at-bats to Giambi. He did put up 448 pts last season though, 7th 1B overall (ahead of Morneau, Votto, Morales, Youkilis, Berkman, Butler).

I landed Bartlett, K. Suzuki and F. Cordero on the front side of position runs, so those picks were Ok by me, even if slight reaches.

Once Cliff Lee is off the DL, I'd like to think my rotation will be solid, especially with the late E. Santana and Hochevar picks as potential surprises. If some combination of Garza, Baker and De La Rosa takes another step up, watch out. Vazquez won't repeat his 09 ERA, but maybe he'll get a couple more wins and avoid a couple losses to make up for it.

Also like my late round hitters: Vlad, Ludwick and Headley. All three hit in the middle of the order and could surprise some people. Good risk/reward picks.

Trying to trade Lowe + Helton for either a bat or an arm, but nothing yet. One owner is starting Glaus, another Butler and another Dunn (remember Ks are -1), so if Helton gets a decent start, I think he'll be attractive. A couple owners also have some shaky SPs, either due to injury or youth risk...so Lowe could also become attractive as well. Since I'm not getting any decent offers, I'll hold onto them for a bit.

Any thoughts on my draft?

I think you covered everything, except I'd add your starting pitching isn't without its risks. Hochevar is also terrible.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

Post subject: Re: Draft thoughts?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

If Hochevar has figured out how to pitch out of the stretch, he could surprise. That has been his biggest issue. It's all mental. He has the upside to become a solid starter, evidenced by his 80-pitch complete game against the Reds, 13 strikeouts and no walks in seven scoreless against the Rangers, and a three-hit shutout against the White Sox. He has pitched well this spring, posting a 3.15 ERA. However, I agree that he has been terrible overall thus far in his career. Keep it in mind he was my last pick in the draft, a risk/reward selection.

Start one player at each position + utility, 4 SPs, 2 RPs. 8 reserves.

C: M. Montero
1B: Allen Craig
2B: Kinsler
3B: Longoria
SS: Segura
OF: Bautista, Holliday, Melky Cabrera
U: one of Pedroia, Blackmon, Dickerson or Carlos Beltran
SP: Wainwright, Iwakuma, Sonny Gray, Cobb
RP: Kimbrel, F. Rodney
Bench: Archer, Kennedy, Arrieta, McHugh