It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Behold the Baron's Terrible Team and Tremble! (and evaluate)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:29 am 

League: Shallow 12-team mixed, non-keeper, 6x6 (OBP and QS both added this year)

The Situation: I was assigned Pick #2. Clearly, cause for celebration, yes? Except I never really worked out a draft strategy in which I draft an SS in the first round, b/c I had a 1 in 12 chance of that. In fact, I'd planned to punt SS until late and take Alcides Escobar. My original goal was to get out of Rnds 1-5 with 1B/3B/OF/OF/SP, depending on slot/availability.

Anyskadoodle, here's the team, with round/pick in parens:

C: Jeff Clement (Rnd 21/242)
1B: Justin Morneau (4/47)
2B: Ian Stewart (8/95)
3B: Adrian Beltre (17/194)
SS: Hanley Ramirez (1/2)
OF: Grady Sizemore (2/23)
OF: Julio Borbon (10/119)
OF: Adam Lind (5/50)
UTIL: Adam Dunn (6/71)

SP: Felix Hernandez (3/26)
SP: Clayton Kershaw (7/74)
SP: Ricky Nolasco (9/98)
SP: Kevin Slowey (15/170)
SP: Francisco Liriano (18/215)

RP: Carlos Marmol (11/122)
RP: Jon Rauch (12/143)
RP: Jason Frasor (14/167)
RP: Octavio Dotel (16/191)
RP: Matt Crapps-the-Bed (20/239)
RP: Franklin Morales (FA)

BENCH: Sean Rodrigez Future ALMVP (19/218)

DL: Carlos Beltran (13/146)

Decisive Draft Moments: The 2/23 pick in a snake draft is a bitch, which explains some mild reaches -- I'd rather take a guy early if I know there's no way he, or an equivalent, will be available on the backswing... Opted/reached for Stewart at pick 95, with Uggla still on the board -- I had 2B and 3B still open, and figured with Uggla I know what I get. Plus, he's boring. And ugly. And prone to long hatred-inspiring slumps. Plus, the Mini-Donkey factor. All of which = STEWART.... Chipper Jones stayed on the board a long time -- I could have had him instead of Slowey in the 15th, but only one other team needed a 3B man, so I waited... hopefully Beltre won't make me regret it.... Opted for Kershaw over some safer choices in the 7th (e.g. Matt Cain & Cliff Lee still on the board -- but do I want two Mariner SPs?) Liked Kershaw's K/9, plus I have an upside boner....

All in all, it looks fairly balanced and such on paper, with some good upside, but I'm feeling kind of mixed. I feel like I'm relying on too many players to either do what they've never done before (Kershaw/Stewart/Borbon/Slowey) or what they've only done once before (Lind/Nolasco).

Then again, last year I LOVED the team I drafted, and it sucked. So there you go.

Post subject: Re: Behold the Baron's Terrible Team and Tremble! (and evaluate)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:00 am 

BaronVonVulturewins wrote:
League: Shallow 12-team mixed, non-keeper, 6x6 (OBP and QS both added this year)

The Situation: I was assigned Pick #2. Clearly, cause for celebration, yes? Except I never really worked out a draft strategy in which I draft an SS in the first round, b/c I had a 1 in 12 chance of that. In fact, I'd planned to punt SS until late and take Alcides Escobar. My original goal was to get out of Rnds 1-5 with 1B/3B/OF/OF/SP, depending on slot/availability.

Anyskadoodle, here's the team, with round/pick in parens:

C: Jeff Clement (Rnd 21/242)
1B: Justin Morneau (4/47)
2B: Ian Stewart (8/95)
3B: Adrian Beltre (17/194)
SS: Hanley Ramirez (1/2)
OF: Grady Sizemore (2/23)
OF: Julio Borbon (10/119)
OF: Adam Lind (5/50)
UTIL: Adam Dunn (6/71)

SP: Felix Hernandez (3/26)
SP: Clayton Kershaw (7/74)
SP: Ricky Nolasco (9/98)
SP: Kevin Slowey (15/170)
SP: Francisco Liriano (18/215)

RP: Carlos Marmol (11/122)
RP: Jon Rauch (12/143)
RP: Jason Frasor (14/167)
RP: Octavio Dotel (16/191)
RP: Matt Crapps-the-Bed (20/239)
RP: Franklin Morales (FA)

BENCH: Sean Rodrigez Future ALMVP (19/218)

DL: Carlos Beltran (13/146)

Decisive Draft Moments: The 2/23 pick in a snake draft is a bitch, which explains some mild reaches -- I'd rather take a guy early if I know there's no way he, or an equivalent, will be available on the backswing... Opted/reached for Stewart at pick 95, with Uggla still on the board -- I had 2B and 3B still open, and figured with Uggla I know what I get. Plus, he's boring. And ugly. And prone to long hatred-inspiring slumps. Plus, the Mini-Donkey factor. All of which = STEWART.... Chipper Jones stayed on the board a long time -- I could have had him instead of Slowey in the 15th, but only one other team needed a 3B man, so I waited... hopefully Beltre won't make me regret it.... Opted for Kershaw over some safer choices in the 7th (e.g. Matt Cain & Cliff Lee still on the board -- but do I want two Mariner SPs?) Liked Kershaw's K/9, plus I have an upside boner....

All in all, it looks fairly balanced and such on paper, with some good upside, but I'm feeling kind of mixed. I feel like I'm relying on too many players to either do what they've never done before (Kershaw/Stewart/Borbon/Slowey) or what they've only done once before (Lind/Nolasco).

Then again, last year I LOVED the team I drafted, and it sucked. So there you go.

I thought you were going for ugly this year. You went pretty and sexy and Mini-mini-Donkey. Lindy too, doesn't seem unsexy. Kershaw doesn't seem unsexy. Okay, I'd be worried about your offense. Seems like you have a balanced unbalanced team to me. Meaning, you have the homers and the speed, but they're coming from separate places. Never shall the twain meet and all that. That means if something happens to Lind, you're in trouble for power. Or if something happens to Borbon you're in trouble for speed. Your pitching is very strong. Potentially too strong and you might be able to trade an SP in a month or so.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:17 am 

I hear you. I like the potential combos of Dunn/Lind/Sizemore = 100 HRs, and Sizemore/Borbon/Hanley = 100 steals, but then, everything has to go right (as opposed to my OF last year of Dye, Bruce and VWells, in which everything went very, very wrong).

I'd really hoped either AGonzo or JUpton had fallen to me at pick #23 -- but they didn't (JUpton got picked by an autodrafter -- DAMN YOU ROBOTS!!) so, figuring OF was kind of thin this year, I went Sizemore, hoping to get the 30/30 version of yore, not the 25/22 version of more recent yore.

That said, a healthy Sizemore + Hanley should be good for 50HR/50SB, as a base for the rest of the team. If Borbon really is Ellsbury10roundslater, I'll be golden. If he's Breaking Bonifacio, I'll be bronzen. Or betterlucknexttimen.

Also, this league is so shallow that winning usually requires a) no busts in the first 5 rounds and b) a few good pick-ups along the way, a la Lind/Hill/Kendry Morales/JUpton last year.

Available FAs currently include Chase Headley, Chris Davis and Jason Heyward. Or any of them more interesting to you than SeanRod or Capps? I'm kind of hoping to use the mix'n'match approach with 2B/3B, hoping two of Stewart/Beltre/SeanRod/Davis?/Headley?/FA-TBA pans out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:21 am 

I think Davis and/or Heyward do well in April their value will skyrocket. I'm not sure I see that happening with Sean-Rod.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.