LOGIN

We’ve recently devoted a bit of time to the discussion college ballers, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to lead with this absurdly awesome catch from Derrick Salberg of Lower Columbia College.  The context of the moment makes the grab even more unbelievable:  two outs, bottom of the ninth, one runner on, LCC leading 4-2.  If Salberg is available in your NWAACC (Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges) leagues, I probably wouldn’t grab him (.262 AVG, 4 XBH in 120 PA).  But if you haven’t yet seen the catch, please check out that link — it’s truly one of the more amazing plays you’ll ever see in baseball.  Now, some real prospects:

Anthony Gose | OF, Blue Jays — Colby Rasmus has been pretty much worthless.  Gose hasn’t been overly impressive either (.281/.360/.413), but he leads the Pacific Coast League in stolen bases with 17, and he’s been blazing hot at the plate over the last ten games.  He could offer better production than Rasmus immediately, and I wonder how long the Jays will keep Rasmus in the lineup should he continue at his current pace.

Danny Hultzen | LHP, Mariners — Hultzen has been dominant in Double-A, posting a 1.78 ERA, a .987 WHIP, and a 9.9 K/9 through 50.2 IP.  Many thought Hultzen would be advanced enough to open 2012 with the Mariners, and perhaps they weren’t far off.  It’s only a matter of time until he’s starting games in the spacious Safeco Field.

Shelby Miller | RHP, Cardinals — With a BB rate approaching 10%, Miller has struggled with command at Triple-A.  On the flip side, his K/9 sits at 10.6 and he’s shown instances of brilliance at various times this year.  Coming off his worst outing of the season, Miller needs to string together some good starts if he’s to resurface as a viable 2nd half option for the Cardinals.

Carlos Peguero | OF, Mariners —  Peguero’s played just 18 games this year, all at Triple-A Tacoma.  With 9 homers and an OPS over 1.300, he’s done about as well as anyone could possibly do during an 18 game stretch.  The 25-year-old earned big league time last season, and he’s certainly on pace to get some more this year.

Jonathan Singleton | 1B, Astros — Many figured Singleton’s .917 OPS in High-A last year was a California League anomaly.  Doesn’t seem to be the case, as he’s putting up even better numbers in 2012 at Double-A Corpus Christi in the Texas League.  Through 184 PA, Singleton has hit .321/.424/.564.

Anthony Rizzo | 1B, Cubs — He’s still murdering the ball at Triple-A Iowa.  Jed Hoyer, however, has remained steady on a patient development plan for Rizzo.  Remember, Rizzo was on a similar tear a year ago in the San Diego system when Hoyer promoted him to the bigs, only to see him struggle severely.  I doubt he’s anxious to make the same mistake twice.

Wil Myers | OF, Royals — If it seems like I write about Anthony Rizzo and Wil Myers ever week, it’s because I do.  Get over it.  Myers hasn’t slowed down since his promotion to Omaha, hitting .333/.405/.697 with 3 homers in just 37 PA.  His arrival in KC is imminent.

Dylan Bundy | RHP, Orioles — Bundy was tremendous through his first eight outings at Low-A Delmarva, striking out 40 batters in 30 IP, while allowing only five baserunners and zero runs.  The Orioles promoted him to High-A Frederick this past week, and he made his debut yesterday versus Salem.  Bundy allowed his first runs of the year during the start thanks to a two-run HR in the fourth.  He ended up lasting five innings, striking out six, walking none.  At the time of this writing, he’s in line for the W.

Chuckie Fick | RHP, Cardinals — My old friend was called up by the Cardinals yesterday to help out their struggling ‘pen.  We shared some fun times at Quad Cities in 2008 and I couldn’t be happier that he’s found himself in the big leagues.  One of the friendiest and hardest hardworking guys I’ve ever come across.  Best of luck, Chuckie!