It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: .5 PPR Draft
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:30 am 

12 teams. Start QB, 2 RBs, 3 WR, W/R, TE, K, Def. - 6 pt TD passes, .5 PPR, and defenses are bumped up a little bit. Everything else normal.

I drafted 9th and went completely unconventional. It's scary and kind of sweet at the same time. What do you think?

1-9 - WR Andre Johnson
2-4 - WR Greg Jennings
3-9 - WR Wes Welker
4-4 - QB Philip RIvers
5-9 - RB LJ
6-4 - TE Antonio Gates
7-9 - RB Leon Washington
8-4 - RB LenDale White
9-9 - RB Rashard Mendenhall
10-4 - RB Shonn Greene
11-9 - WR Justin Gage
12-4 - Minny D
13-9 - WR Robert Meachem
14-4 - QB Brett Favre (Week 5 bye for Rivers = Favre @ St. Louis)
15-9 - K John Carney

Starting Lineup (for now)
QB P. Rivers
WR A Johnson
WR G Jennings
WR W Welker
RB L Johnson
RB L Washington
W/R LenDale White
TE Antonio Gates
K Carney
Def Minnesota

Post subject: Re: .5 PPR Draft
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:40 am 

I love what you've done. So much differential at WR it's ridiculous. DO NOT trade any of those WR's. From here you have to be committed to Sleeper RB's. You're going to want to roster like 5 of them at a time. One of those RB's will make it big and you'll dominate your league.

At this point what I'd do is target a starting RB that's going to have a lot of opportunity. I know you want Favre for that Bye week but you're only in a 1 QB league. That one start isn't worth what you can do with his trade value & that roster spot otherwise. Trade him & when the bye week rolls around pick up whatever QB has the best matchup. It'll be just as good.

I'd start knocking on the door of MacFadden & Benson's owners. See if they like Brett Favre. Maybe you have to give up him & a little additional value but it'd set your team up like crazy. Honestly if you end up w/ 2 good starting RB's I don't see how you won't make the playoffs & have a great chance to win it all.

C- Wieters
1B- Cabrera
2B- Cuddyer
SS- Hanley
3B- Beltre
CI: Ike Davis
MI: Andrus
LF- Tabata
CF- BJ Upton
RF- De Aza
UTIL- Maybin
UTIL-Lind
B: Ackley
B: Dunn
B: Ryan Roberts

P- Greinke
P- Bumgarner
P- Josh Johnson
P- Cain
P- Marcum
P- Walden
P- League
P- Guerra
B- Balfour
B- Johnson
B- Broxton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:50 am 

I know. I had both McFadden and Benson lined up at some point and they got snagged right before me. Woulda been a perfect fit. I was looking for carries at that point.

Thats what I figured with the RB's. Get studs everywhere else and hope to strike gold on one or two of those RB's later.

I honestly don't know if Favre has much if any trade value. I could always just drop him and scoop up another sleeper to try and ride out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:08 am 

My argument with Favre is that people just can't help themselves. You are logically correct. No one should be willing to give you anything for Favre. But people are more emotion than logic. The 4-Letter (ESPN) is spending 20 minutes every Sportscenter reminding everyone that Favre "knows this Offense so well he could teach it" and blah, blah, blah. So if he comes out & has a good game to start the season a lot of people are going to get all loopy about it and you'll be able to trade and get some value out of him. I start shopping him now and wouldn't give up and drop him until like week 3 just because of the potential for his trade value to artificially inflate.

C- Wieters
1B- Cabrera
2B- Cuddyer
SS- Hanley
3B- Beltre
LF- Tabata
CF- BJ Upton
RF- De Aza
UTIL- Maybin
UTIL-Lind

P- Greinke
P- Bumgarner
P- Josh Johnson
P- Cain
P- Marcum
P- Walden
P- League
P- Guerra
B- Balfour
B- Johnson
B- Broxton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:23 pm 

Am I better off keeping Gage and Meachem as 4th and 5th wideouts or should I stash another RB in the like of Hillis, Morris, Buckhalter, Wynn, or Gado, or anyone else you can think of that may be left.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:46 pm 

I would lose Meachem for Buckhalter because he's starting right now and probably will be for at least the first game. You interested in joining another league? I have one drafting tonight @ 8:30 PM Eastern & I need a few more ppl.

Yahoo of course...

League ID: 759977

Password: apple

C- Wieters
1B- Cabrera
2B- Cuddyer
SS- Hanley
3B- Beltre
LF- Tabata
CF- BJ Upton
RF- De Aza
UTIL- Maybin
UTIL-Lind

P- Greinke
P- Bumgarner
P- Josh Johnson
P- Cain
P- Marcum
P- Walden
P- League
P- Guerra
B- Balfour
B- Johnson
B- Broxton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:33 pm 

Sorry, man. Can't do it tonight. Appreciate the invite, as well as your advice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:20 pm 

You took a huge gamble going after all those WRs. I think you could have easily ended up with a 3rd-tier QB and an even bigger question mark than LJ (if that's possible) as your RB1 if the picks had fallen differently. With that said, well done, especially in a 3 WR league. Personally I stayed away from LJ in all of my drafts, but I also targeted at least one top tier guy. And who knows, LJ could be serviceable if your WRs carry your team every week. Washington could be fine in a PPR league, too. Do you get points for return yards? If LenDale pumps in TDs like he did last year I think you'll be sittin pretty.

That's a lot of "ifs" but the ceiling for your team is very high.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:25 am 

Unfortunately no for the return yards. Obviously, return TD's though.

I do fully realize the riskiness. But I did consider all the options.

1st of all, I didn't have the intention of doing this. Second of all, the reason I did it was because every guy I targeted kept getting snagged. 3rd round, perhaps I shoulda passed on Welker and grabbed McFadden or Lynch. I fully expected at least one to get back to me in the 4th. Neither did, leaving me with options of Addai, Rice, Bush, or Moreno (question marks), or to just take the only top 5 QB (Rivers) left on the board. (I also half hoped that one of these RBs would come back). My greed never panned out.

In the sixth, in a .5 PPR, do you take a borderline RB (granted, would've been only my second RB) or grab an elite TE? I was really going for value more than anything throughout the draft. We will see, I am trying to swing some trades for some more upside RBs. In the end, if I really have to trade one of those wideouts for an RB, I will. But I think Ill be ok.