It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Should I go to this?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:20 am 

Ha, that's awesome! "And here's Berry wearing a Razzball t-shirt... What? No, not Photoshopped at all."

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:40 pm 

Has anybody picked up how miserable Merril Hoge appears whenever he is on the same set as Matthew Berry? It's seriously the most awkward pairing on the New England based network. Hoge has little interest in fantasy football and even less respect for Matthew Berry's knowledge of football. It is really painful to watch -- even more than hearing that Michael Turner is the best option in fantasy football this year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:13 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I agree with some of the criticism directed at Berry. And am pretty anti-Disney network. But hats off to the dude for banking on the fantasy industry early and then parlaying that into ownership of Rotowire and a Disney check.

c: Mauer
1b: Votto
2b: BP
ss:
3b: Longoria
OF: Cargo, Heyward,
Utilx2:Huff
B:
DL:

SP: Kershaw
Sp: Verlander
Sp: John Danks
Sp: Doc
Sp: Cahill
SP: Ted Lilly
Sp: Ian Kennedy
Sp: Hammel
Sp: Lowe
Sp: Anibal, Garland, Narvy,Zambrano, Niese, & Duensing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:36 pm 

He has some really good insights and makes very good arguments based on a mixture of statistics, trends, and organizational dynamics. I read a lot of his stuff because quite frankly I almost always find something very useful.

The issue I have with his writing is that he tries to use as many words as possible rather than just being direct. A lot of people just aren't willing to wade through his diatrabs/lame jokes in order to find the diamonds in the rough. To be honest I can't blame them for it either; a sports column shouldn't take 1/2 hour to read. I think he believes that his wordiness and quirkiness is what makes people read him.

On a visceral level he just reminds me of the kids in middle school that we used to give swirlies to (turn someone upside down, put their head in a toilet, flush). Now I'm saying that shouldn't count against him but it does. I would love to be a fly on the wall at ESPN when the ex-NFL players are talking about him. Can you imagine? I mean John Clayton is probably giving him tittie twister while Sage Steele gives him a wedgie. I hate saying all this stuff but it's true. Every time he's on TV I cringe.... I mean the impending baldness, screeching voice.

C- Wieters
1B- Cabrera
2B- Cuddyer
SS- Hanley
3B- Beltre
CI: Ike Davis
MI: Andrus
LF- Tabata
CF- BJ Upton
RF- De Aza
UTIL- Maybin
UTIL-Lind
B: Ackley
B: Dunn
B: Ryan Roberts

P- Greinke
P- Bumgarner
P- Josh Johnson
P- Cain
P- Marcum
P- Walden
P- League
P- Guerra
B- Balfour
B- Johnson
B- Broxton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:50 pm 

Total respect to Berry for landing the gig at ESPN. He owns Rotowire? I learn something new everyday.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:22 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

YouthofToday wrote:
Has anybody picked up how miserable Merril Hoge appears whenever he is on the same set as Matthew Berry? It's seriously the most awkward pairing on the New England based network. Hoge has little interest in fantasy football and even less respect for Matthew Berry's knowledge of football. It is really painful to watch -- even more than hearing that Michael Turner is the best option in fantasy football this year.

Completely agree. I'm a big fan of Hoge and to see him relegated to Berry Duty makes me sad.

Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry...