It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: struggling for direction after round 1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:36 am 

I pick 3rd overall in a ppr redraft league tonight. we have 12 teams and start 2qb, 3rb, 4wr, 2te per week.

I am going to select Maurice Jones-Drew with my 1st pick. After that, I have not a clue where to go.

In my second pick I can grab Ronnie Brown, Kevin Smith, or anyone from a group of receivers that includes White, Colston, Boldin and Jennings. I am also looking at those same receivers with my 3rd pick.

I guess my question is would you pick MJD, Brown and Kevin Smith/Ryan Grant with your first 3 picks if you could? And then take like an Ocho Cino and Houshmanzadeh with your 4th and 5th picks?

OR would it be better to pick MJD/Brown at 1 and 2 with a Roddy White at 3. And then go with Housmandzadeh or Ocho at 4 and my third RB (Moreno, LJ, Lynch) at pick 5.

which do you like better?

Post subject: Re: struggling for direction after round 1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:14 am 

Getting MJD at 3 in a PPR is all ready giving you the best bang for your buck. MJD should go number one, but that is neither here not there. I like the idea of having 3 solid RB's to start your team, however since it is a PPR league, I think you need to take a top notch WR. Boldin(who could have numbers better than Fitzgerald) or Colston (a 16 game healthy season would probably make him number one WR) would make a fine addition to MJD. That being said, if you think you can get brown in the third, go WR in the 2nd. If not, grab brown then take the best remaining WR in the third. It depends on how badly you want brown as your RB2. IF you will be happy with Smith or Grant, i would definately go WR in the 2nd round.

Just remember that every year there is a handful of RB who suprise everyone and have fantastic years. The same can't really be said for WR. WR don't normally "explode" over the course of a season, it usually takes a few years of building up. There is always the exception, (Randy Moss, Eddie Royal, etc...) I like having more solid WR than RB, because if you are good on the waiver wire, you can find good RB if something happens to yours. Try finding a top WR on the waiver wire.....unlikley.

12 team 1 PPR, 5 bonus points for 100 yard rec. and rushing, and 300 yard passing

QB - eli manning
RB - CJ, Ronnie Brown
Flex - Bradshaw
WR - Fitz, hines ward, Louis Murphy
TE - celek
Def - Texans
K - akers
bench - micheal bush, ricky williams, mcfadden, malcolm floyd, Roy Williams, Mike williams (sea)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:28 am 

With a top end RB (AP, MoJo, Forte) i like to get 2 WR in rounds 2 and 3. Then you can come back with RB-RB on the next turn. There, you're still looking at Lynch, Bush, LJ, Moreno. Decent chance you can even get 2 of them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:31 am 

which group of 5 do you like better?

Team A

rb-MJD
rb-R. Brown
rb-Grant
wr-Houshmandzadeh
wr-Ocho Cino

Team B
rb-MJD
rb-Moreno
rb-Lynch
wr-Colston
wr-White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:34 pm 

You start 2 QB. Why aren't you targetting a QB earlier?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:39 pm 

Hebrew Hammer wrote:
which group of 5 do you like better?

Team A

rb-MJD
rb-R. Brown
rb-Grant
wr-Houshmandzadeh
wr-Ocho Cino

Team B
rb-MJD
rb-Moreno
rb-Lynch
wr-Colston
wr-White

Definitely B. While Moreno and Lynch carry more risk than Brown and Grant, the WRs are MUCH safer options.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:42 pm 

I presume standard scoring (4 points passing TD) in addition to PPR. Also, 2 QB league? If you wait till round 6 your going to end up with Hasselback and Edwards. You definitely need to draft a QB in first 5 rounds.

-I would definitely go WR 2/3 pick, unless Rivers or Rodgers were available with the #3 pick. White should be a beast with Atlanta needing to throw more this year.
-If you go WR/QB in 2/3 go with WR/RB 4/5, WR/WR 2/3 go with QB/RB 4/5.
-With more and more RBBC you can pick up RBs later. Also, Grant may not even end up as the #1 RB by the end of year, he really is a marginal starting talent for the NFL at RB.
- I would secure my starting two QBs by round 6.

In a 1 QB league I wait real late for my QBs as the difference between #10 and #1 is manageable. The difference between #11 and #20 is pretty steep. Having to rely on a Kyle Orton, Delhomme, Cassell or Eli Manning would be painful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:14 pm 

or is group C the best

rb-Jones-Drew
rb-R. Brown
rb-Moreno/LJ
wr-Colston
wr-Houshmandzadeh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:54 pm 

Hebrew Hammer wrote:
or is group C the best

rb-Jones-Drew
rb-R. Brown
rb-Moreno/LJ
wr-Colston
wr-Houshmandzadeh

I believe the gap b/t White and Housh is greater than the gap between Brown and Lynch, so i give a slight edge to B. C is close behind B though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:16 pm 

ok rate the squad. its 12 teams and ppr. we do not deduct points for interceptions.

qb-Hasselbeck
qb-S. Hill
rb-Jones-Drew
rb-R. Grant
rb-Lynch
wr-R. White
wr-A. Gonzalez
wr-Royal
wr-Bess
te-D. Lee
te-Shiancoe
k-Graham
k-Nedney
d-Pittsburgh
d-Indianapolis

bench
qb-Russell
rb-Donald Brown
rb-Betts
rb-Coffee
rb-Bradshaw
wr-Steve Smith (NYG)

I am weak at qb for sure. I tried to target receivers that will catch a lot of balls. I think i accomplished that. My running back corps is especially solid, and Lynch will give my team a huge boost once he returns. If Brown, Coffee, Betts, or Bradshaw work out I have some leverage for a qb or wr trade.