LOGIN

This week we’re starting a new weekly column that will be here every Thursday afternoon, it will be all about 2012 fantasy baseball keepers. The column will then move to Friday in the offseason.  Since many fantasy baseball keeper leagues don’t decide on their keepers until the start of the new season, I figured I’d go over some fantasy baseball keepers from now until next spring.  These aren’t guys that are obviously keepers.  You won’t find Braun or Pujols here.  These are guys that you might’ve been able to grab in deep leagues and hold onto for next year on the cheap.  Who doesn’t love a bargain?!  My dead grandmother loved a bargain.  Her death and bargains were in no way related.  Filene’s Basement was completely acquitted in that case.  Though me and Grandpa we believe.  We believe…

Mike Stanton is gonna be a Hall of Famer in 25 years.  Me, you and the Mayans may not be around to see it, but if a tree falls in the forest does it not make a sound?  It does when Stanton bumps into said tree, picks it up and uses it as a toothpick.  I was too distracted by drugs, girls and hormones to fully appreciate Frank Thomas coming onto the scene back in 1991.  But let’s say I wasn’t, let’s also say I had a webblog back then when they didn’t exist and, finally, let’s say my web admin was Al Gore.  I would’ve wrote this, “Instead of Herman, you’re inside Frank Thomas’s head, here’s what you’d see.  A cobbler with crooked fingernails and stumpy legs writing on a chalkboard the equation for the perfect swing.  You’d also see hitting coach Charley Lau bitching out Yeardley Smith for her outright refusal in letting Frank Thomas eat a whole cow.  Finally, you’d see this Hank Azaria guy who might have a big future if I could just hear him and not see him.”  And that’s me fabricating me!  Stanton’s Frank Thomas without the stupid walks (no offense to real baseball) and it’s not like he can’t take a walk, but what he does is mollywhop with his pony sticks.  He could hit 40 homers with ten steals as early as next year.  The average may stay in the .260 to .280 range, but whatever.  Next year, he’ll only be 22 years old.  For keepers, that’s a slam dunk.  Whether it’s 2012 fantasy baseball, 2013 fantasy baseball or 1991 fantasy baseball.