It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Mike Gonzalez
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:50 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Gonzalez has been taken off the DL and Bobby Cox has hinted that he might put him directly into the closer role.

Who's his competition?

Smoltz - done.
Acosta - been there and done that.
Soriano - he's currently on the DL and will likely never been be able to go back to back days (i.e., better in the 8th).
Boyer - Um. That's a stretch, particularly with Gonzalez lurking in the shadows.

Or, they could go with the CBC. But I think Cox may be done with that.

Conclusion: Gonzalez will be the full-time closer within ten days (7=Acosta/Boyer, 8=Soriano, 9=Gonzalez), and will hold the job as long as he's healthy (and, if I'm correct, he wasn't rushed back from his TJ surgery).

Grab him NOW!

Post subject: Re: Mike Gonzalez
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:10 pm 

Yup, good call.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:44 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

I agree, in part. If you need saves, yeah, go pick up Gonzalez right away. He's going to be in the mix. But I think it's going to be difficult to predict who gets regular saves for the Braves unless Soriano is out of commission (btw, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that he's likely available to pitch the first day he's eligible - this Saturday). But even if Soriano stays healthy (ha!), Cox is going to baby him - but not so much that he's not at least in the mix for saves. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he babies Gonzalez, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:31 am 

I like Gonzalez to get 25 saves going forward. I'd take him over quite a few closers out there already. I'm looking at you Sherill, Street, Gregg, Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:44 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Rollobobo wrote:
I like Gonzalez to get 25 saves going forward. I'd take him over quite a few closers out there already. I'm looking at you Sherill, Street, Gregg, Wilson

Wow. That would have him rising above TJ and Soriano's DL dance and collecting saves at a pretty brisk pace for the rest of the season. Chances are that not even K-Rod gets 25 saves from now, onward. Place my bet on no one guy in the Braves 'pen getting more than 15 saves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:30 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

If you read what's coming out of Atlanta, it seems that the bullpen-by-committee may be over. It was dealt another blow today when Boyer and Bennett blew today's game. I think we're basically where we were with Kerry Wood at the beginning of the year. It is not a bullpen by committee; Gonzalez will close if he is available, but he will be designated unavailable on certain days. When he can't go, maybe Soriano goes, just like Marmol is the designated closer on days Kerry is unavailable.

By the way, Gonzo's already risen above Soriano's DL dance. Gonzo is a mensch; Soriano, not so much. Did you hear Bobby Cox the other day? When asked when Soriano would throw again, he responded: "I don't know when he wants to throw." Ouch. The word is that Soriano refuses to pitch at less than 100% and it's not going over well in the clubhouse.

I see 16 saves for Gonzo, 4-5 spread around amongst the others.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:18 pm 

peter wrote:
Rollobobo wrote:

Wow. That would have him rising above TJ and Soriano's DL dance and collecting saves at a pretty brisk pace for the rest of the season. Chances are that not even K-Rod gets 25 saves from now, onward. Place my bet on no one guy in the Braves 'pen getting more than 15 saves.

I think you would be surprised at how well Gonzalez will do. He was 24 for 24 not to long ago with Pittsburgh and Atlanta should generate a bunch of save opportunities. We will have to revisit this later and see.