LOGIN

The Marlins firesale continued as they traded Kevin Gregg to the Chicago Cubs for Jose Ceda. Gregg was arbitration-eligible so rather than pay anything more to their highest paid player at $2.5 million, the Marlins traded him for a guy who will be happy to be paid with a season pass to Six Flags. I love The Batman Ride!™ I wonder if the Marlins use a stolen credit card to pay their players. Did they use a calling card and a stolen cellphone to call the Cubs? Did the Marlins make this trade because Ceda promised to help with concession sales? The 2009 Marlins salary is looking like it’ll be about the same price it is to greenlight a low-budget slasher film. I’m sure the fans for both will have similar reactions. Put your hands in front of your eyes, and scream. This will mean there’s a change afoot for the 2009 closers in both Wrigleyville and Miami-ville. Let’s look at the 2009 fantasy baseball implications for this trade:

Kevin Gregg – Piniella, “I know we have Marmol, but I need someone to screw up the 9th inning!” The Cubs GM says they’re keeping their options open about who will be the closer in 2009. I have a sneaking suspicion it’s going to be a case where Piniella says something like, “Gregg has closed before and Marmol is good in the 7th and 8th innings, why should we change anything?”  This doesn’t mean Marmol won’t be the 2009 closer. It just means I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cubs lean towards Gregg being the 2009 closer. Closing really has little to do with being the better pitcher; it’s all about opportunity.

Kerry Wood – Wood’s definitely on the way out now. I’m sure this will bring up mixed emotions for any levelheaded Cubs fans (<–oxymoron).  It will be interesting to see where he lands. Conjecture called and said, “Maybe San Diego.”

Carlos Marmol – See Gregg, Kevin or about an inch above. In addition, I will say Marmol should be the closer. Hopefully the right thing happens here and Piniella goes with Marmol.

Jose Ceda – Actually has really good stuff as he averaged more than a K an inning in Double-A. Double-A?! Did I stutter? Yes, he’s still very raw at 21. Does it surprise you at all that the Marlins would acquire a very cheap, raw minor leaguer?

Matt Lindstrom – Matt Lindstrom will prolly (BTW, if you weren’t aware, I have fully embraced “Prolly” as a shortened form of “Probably.” “Seriously” may soon become “Srsly.” Stay tuned!) receive the biggest value bump from this trade. Lindstrom was set to be the Marlins 2009 closer when they gave him the job at the end of September and now it looks to be official. This is not to say he’ll succeed, but as always SAGNOF. If Lindstrom’s the closer, which it looks like he will be, then he’s the one that needs to be drafted in 2009.