It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: The Lords of Razzball
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:55 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Cool, I'll take Tom Bombadil any day! I can take out Barrow Wights like crazy!

Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:46 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Don't doubt your abilities with Barrow Wights a bit!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:54 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Simply Fred- If you want to read a great recap of the entire series, go to Tor.com
http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com ... %20re-read

A lady named Liz Butler does chapter by chapter reviews, with loads of comments, and plans to have the entire series completed before the last and final book in the series comes out later this year. As Jordan passed after a long illness about two years ago, he handed the task to a fellow writer, who will go through Jordan's notes, with assistance from Jordan's wife, and hopefully the book (probably two books, as there are a lot of loose ends) will do justice to the series. However, be careful as you read Butler's comments, as there are a lot of Spoilers attached.

Paulie Allnuts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:56 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

note -I'm talking about the Wheel of Time Series (abbreviated as W.O.T.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:46 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Simply Fred - i believe that you attempted to contact me by private message. I clicked on the page, but couldn't find any message. I don't know if it got screwed up sending it, or my attempting to receive it - it is a bit complicated for me, as I am below average when it comes to computer literacy. If you want my e-mail address, go to the RCL league a Latin Nine, and you will find me. My team is ASHA'MAN. E-mails are listed under members. Hope that works - it's a lot easier then muddling through this maze.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:03 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

how to get to rcl leagues? I clicked on Razzball Commentator Leagues in the left column but only got the article. Yeah, I did try PM, for the first time, but that didn't work for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Go to top right, click on RCL Master Standings. Write below you will see all of the leagues, and underneath, the league standings. You will see A Latin 9 Division. Click on League Page. Then click on League, to the top left. Then click members, also on the top. You will get a list of all the members and their e-mail. Click on the E-Mail across from ASHA'MAN, and then you have it.
That should work. If you have any more problems, just keep on asking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:02 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

When I clicked on members it wanted an ESPN login. I think we are cool now anyway. Grey got the spreadsheet loaded. You and I have exchanged fantasy reads. And, I KNOW I WILL ENJOY The Eye of The World and subsequent books.

I really enjoy your contributions to Razzball. Grey, Rudy, you and the rest of the crew are scary-smart and witty! (I am a pretender.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:17 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Simply Fred - I plan to pick up the Assassin's Apprentice in the next several weeks, as well. Googled it, and reviews seemed very positive. Keep me posted as you go through Eye of the World. I am presently re-reading the series, in order to be up to snuff when the last book(s) come up, and am picking up so much more this time around. What is amazing is that Jordan will throw something out in the early books, such as a prophecy or a dream/vision, and not have it fulfilled until many books later. The complexity is enormous. I have no idea how he kept everything in order. There are literally thousands of characters; some of them are blips, others evolve into major characters; some appear early on, and then pop up in books far down the road. As I mentioned, I believe that there are major flaws in his work, but I won't influence you before you have a chance to read at least some of the books. He is no Tolkien; then again, no one is. Not even close, in my mind.

BTW, I was able to download your Spread Sheet. If anything, I think that you were too conservative in giving Grey credit for decisions. What I would suggest is revisit this in mid-September. I would bet that Grey will come out with a higher score at the end of the season then. The sample size of major trades is just too little to measure. For instance, one of the early trades was "Tommy Hanson Erik Bedard for Cole Hamels Or Erik Bedard for Nolasco and Inge/Porcello". Grey liked the Hamels trade. Now, this is something that can only be evaluated at the end of the year. Hamels pitched great in his last game, and could easily be an awesome pitcher the rest of the season. In fact, I just picked him up as part of a blockbuster trade in one league: I traded Reynolds and Utley for Santana, Hamels, and Uggla. I needed more starting pitching, and could cover for Reynolds as I have A-Ram coming off the DL. This, like all trades, could backfire on me, but it also has the potential of giving me the championship. (Of course, I cleared it with Rudy before making a move of this proportion.)

Finally, don't underestimate yourself. Razzball has a great many members who are witty, astute and talented, and you are obviously one of them. All of us have different gifts and areas of expertise. It is an evolving cybernetic community, and it is exciting to be part of this. I have a great deal of knowledge of baseball history, but don't know much about sabermetrics, outside of BABIP and a few other concepts. I will leave that to Rudy. I am still new to fantasy sports, although I am undoubtably an addict. I am good at writing, and have the beginnings of a baseball book going on. If I discipline myself to complete it, it will be a fun read. But I couldn't do what you have done with the spread sheets.

Talk to you soon
Paulie Allnuts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:23 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

A kind post, friend.

Already have it on my calendar to re-evaluate come September. I agree; am sure The Wizard will fair much better in the end game.