LOGIN

I went over the fantasy baseball implications of the Holliday trade for Holliday the other day. Now that the deal has been finalized, approximately three days later, I’ll go other the other parts of the trade. This part of the trade is also known as, “The Players That the Rockies Received from Beane as He Played the MLB Version of Let’s Make A Deal.” Dan O’Dowd, “I’ll take Door Number 3!” Announcer, “It’s…. Huston Street!” The Rockies fans groan. Anyway, here’s the other schmohawks that the Rockies received in the trade for Matt Holliday and some other fantasy baseball implications:

Huston Street
– 2009 Vegas line for Huston Street is an Over/Under of 15 saves and a 60-Day DL trip. You need to know more? Okay, side note. At some point during the 2008 season, I mentioned that I owned Kerry Wood on a team. People commented that they were surprised since in the preseason of 2008 I was down on Wood. I said I owned Wood because everyone was down on Wood. He ended up being a late-round bargain. They’re zigging, man! Then zag. If the Rockies are saying Street is the closer and if he falls far enough to me, then I’m drafting him.  As always, SAGNOF.  I just know I’m going to end up with Street on a team or two or three. No one thinks he’s going to make it the whole season or get many saves. Whatevs, he might not. I’m still drafting him real late and taking his 15 saves. What, you don’t have a DL slot?

Joey Devine – I’ve already shown you my campaign pin for Devine in 2009. Unfortunately, the louder I sing his praises, the more Devine is going to be hyped up going into 2009 drafts. Make no mistake, this will not make him better, just more hyped. Make sure to keep those two separate in your mind.

Brad Ziegler – No one has come out and said Devine will be the A’s closer in 2009. I just think he will. Ziegler has “Setup man” written all over him. It was written on him by Devine while Ziegler was passed out drunk.

Carlos Gonzalez – Last year, Gonzalez did not show one sign that he was ready for the majors. He’s a decent prospect that needs to be grabbed in keeper and NL-Only leagues as an endgame option. He may not do a thing in 2009. His role will have to be watched in spring training.

Greg Smith – He was the recipient of terrible run support on the A’s (Shocker!), but now that the Rockies gave away their offensive centerpiece, they may look like the 2008 A’s in 2009. Greg Smith is a flyball pitcher heading to Coors — Hey, Gus, leave the balls in the humidor for another twenty minutes. I don’t think they’re done yet. — and Smith doesn’t strikeout many hitters. I want Ubaldo and Francis before Smith on my fantasy teams in 2009 and I don’t really want them either. Understand? Or am I being obtuse?