It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The Lords of Razzball
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:19 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

At home. Safe in the Shire. Yet, sometimes I feel as if I am on a quest as part of the Fellowship of the Ring. (Quoted passages are either from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy, or directly from RazzBall postings.)

Galadriel: “...and the Lady Galadriel is above all the jewels that lie beneath the earth.” Paulie Allnuts: “But my excuse was I had only been introduced to Razzball several weeks previously, by Ashley....”

Frodo: “I should like to save the Shire, if I could...” Rudy Gamble: “This post picks out 20 starting pitchers who look like risky propositions in 2009.”

Aragorn: “Farewell, Gandalf! Did I not say to you: if you pass the doors of Moria, beware?...What hope have we without you?”
Stephen: “Seriously, July is here and my pitching has disappeared.”

Aragorn: “Let us gird ourselves and weep no more! Come! We have a long road and much to do.” Grey: “Gotta keep on scrappin’.”

Treebeard: “Hrum, Hoo. Very odd indeed! Do not be hasty, that is my motto.”
ThePoonTycoon: “the key in those sitautions is to stay patient. in my 5 man, 12 team h2h keeper league i am somehow 2nd in my division and 2nd overall, despite erratic (at best) contribution from my 5 keepers (aroid, rollins, bj upton, hamilton, and braun). only braun has performed near his normal standards. i’ve also been lucky as my breakdown indicates my record should be around the middle of the pack instead of 2nd, but instead of panicking, i’m confident eventually my studs will at least produce at 80% of their normal levels. it wouldn’t be the first time i’ve made a huge push in the 2nd half due to being patient with slow first half performances. just don’t be the guy that trade away rollins just in time to watch him put up an mvp caliber 2nd half.”

Bilbo: “I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
Baron Von Vulturewins: “Fuggit! Just picked up Fox. If only for the pleasure of knowing 11 other owners will run to pick him up and see I got there first.”
Steve: “Not that I’m the kind of guy who takes pleasure in the misfortune of others.”
BigFatHippo: “Aww screw you guys……………..”

Bilbo: “All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not whither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken: The crownless again shall be king.”
Paulie Allnuts: “Sounds like you are struggling with an existentialist dilemna. If Bruce hid a grand slam, and no one was there to observe it, did it ever really take place? Einstein stated that God does not play dice, but why did my fantasy team, averaging close to .300 for the year, suddenly decide seemingly as a cohesive unit to hit .120 for two weeks? Sounds like Jungian synchronicity to me, which is one of the reason’s I find fantasy sports so fascinating. How does momentum develop with a number of disparate parts? Sometimes the fantasy gods appear to actively intervene in a fashion akin to Jehovah, and at other times like an impartial Deist God. And at still other times, paying homage to Jobu seems to work. Sabermetrics may work over an extended course of time, but inbetween are the numerous tidbits of the miraculous and inscrutable.”

Tom Bombadil: “Hey! Come derry dol! Hop along, my hearties! Hobbits! Ponies all! We are fond of parties. Now let the fun begin! Let us sing together!”
Doc: “Did you notice the different colored triangles in the corner of the fantasycast live scoring?”

Concerning hobbits: “...but they seldom wore shoes, since their feet had tough leathery soles and were clad in a thick curling hair...”
Teef (feet backwards): “I only have 3 starters this week and we have a max of 7 starts. So I’m walking through the minefield that is spot starting 4 waiver dudes.”

“...so the creatures of Sauron, orc or troll or beast spell-enslaved ran hither and thither mindless; and some slew themselves....”
big o: “too many teams wearing red and white . cincy ok … redbirds ok … everyone else (maybe i missed one or 2 at the MOST) take a hike … smoke a joint , if you have to , but get creative !!! …. even the sawx st loo … your team is red and white , every fan is red and white …. do the seats have to be red ?? what are you , a bunch of commies ?? and bring back AMERICAN beer .”

“One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.”
Paulie Allnuts: “...he is the greatest pure hitter...he seems like a great guy, involved in helping others, and his wife states that she will personally kill him if he is on the needle or the cream...a freak of nature”
BigFatHippo: “Seriously Grey, we’re witnessing the greatest player of our generation and his name is Al. Bert. Spell it out for your bro, tell him Hippo said so…………..”

Merriadoc Brandybuck concerning “Pipeweed”: “The best home-grown still comes from that district, especially the varieties now known as Longbottom Leaf, Old Toby, and Southern Star.”
Al Koholic: “i wont tell,because what goes on in vegas ,,stays in vegasi got started about 1 1/2 years ago,bought the gurkha special,cutter,humidor 20 cigars etc.ive since tried a bunch of $10 cigars only to find that about any gurkha is the best(for the money)i still like a few other brands but it`s kinda like drafting Albert,you know its going to be good,most small smokeshops dont sell them ,you have to order them20 at a time or pay 12-15 bucks for onew\,a buddy called me and informed me that a place by churchill downs had them in but only had 3 left.i went grabbed those 3 and the box plus 3 or 4 others,told the guy i wanted the box(usually if you buy $50-100 worth they give you the box)smoked them all,a month later im dusting off the boxes and feal a rattle,the box had a 2nd compartment i didnt know about,10 more cigars(had i found this within a few days,i would have returned them,seriously but after a month,someone is getting free cigars,might as well be me.)GURKHA black dragon`s ,If you`d like one let me know and ill send it to you,they are better with bourbon,but tonight its vodka,kinda like having huff,,take what you can get,”

Gollum: “What had it got in its pocketses? It wouldn't say, no precious. Little cheat. Not a fair question. It cheated first, it did. It broke the rules. We ought to have squeezed it, yes precious. And, we will precious!”
Pops: “This trade just went down in my league. I’m not very happy about it, as it involves the first place team that sits directly above me in the standings....Do I need to post the – I Protest This Trade open letter that Grey posted last month? Seriously?”

Frodo: “—though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable.”
Adam: “While there, he will encounter a dragon, and slay it using only a fungo.”

Sam Gamgee: “Save me, Mr. Frodo” gasped Sam. “I'm drownded.”
Tony Y: “Got offered CC SABATHIA for my carpenter/chris davis? I have aramis coming back real soon (2 weeks?), davis is a nice source of power, HORRIBLE AVG as we all know, but like grey mentioned one HOT month and its all forgotten, and carpenter… well i like him, but he’s a tweak away from the DL, as we’ve already seen….? Of course davis is 6-11 and Carp hasn’t given up more than 3 ER’s all year as of now… ughhh…. pay for the name, deal the risk? Ughhhhhhhhhh help

Gandalf on Gollum: “There was a little corner of his mind that was still his own, and light came through it, as through a chink in the dark: light out of the past.” (OR ... is he just an orc?)
Tbatter: “Nary a message on Matt Cain? How convenient Grey. FAIL”

Legolas: “But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Gloin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions....”
Baron VonVulturewins: “Here was my weekend: Not only did I lose Peavy, but my offense — which isn’t a bunch of nancy boys, at least on paper (Wright, Miggy, Dye, Bruce, Brandon Phillips, Holliday) has one RBI in five days. One RBI. In five days.”

Sam: “Me, sir! Me go and see Elves and all! Hooray!”
WE WHO ARE ON THIS QUEST TOGETHER!

Post subject: Re: The Lords of Razzball
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:34 am 

How come Rudy's Frodo?

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:02 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Because you are Gandalf the GREY! (currently tied up fighting Balrogs)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:56 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Simply Fred-

Don't think that I deserve to be with the legendary Lords of Razzball, but I had a great read all the same. Perhaps I could be someone obscure, such as one of the Blue Wizards. You obviously did a lot of work preserving the Words of the Wise.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

My favorite quote from LOTR. I actually used this quote in my opening welcome as Commish of my Yahoo League. And with some of the characters who wound up in this league, the statement was prophetic!

My user name is no1gandolf, so it is obvious I am a big fan. My Razzball team is ASHA'MAN, from one of my other fav fantasy series.

Great job

Paulie Allnuts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:58 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

BTW, is Berry one of the Balrogs?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:05 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

So pleased you approve. I never saw any reference to No1 Gandalf, only the Paulie Allnuts. You provided a wealth of choices.

RE: Berry, I don't read the man (but know who he is and have read the comments this site). Likely a deserving nod.

I don't recognize the 'ASHA'MAN' reference. What is it from? My equal favorite is the Apprentice Assassin series by Robin Hobbs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:51 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

ASHA'MAN comes from the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan. It is a massive work - 11 books, a pre-quil; then unfortunately, the author died after a long illness. Each book is anywhere from 600-over 900 pages. Book number 12 and possibly 13 are being written by a close friend and designated author. There are also numerous web-sites devoted to the series. The last book should come out in the fall.

I was introduced to the series about 2 years ago. I read the first book, and was hooked. There are some parallels to Tolkien in the first book. Is it too long? Very much so. I think that when he started writing the novels, he fell in love with them, and just didn't want to end it. Several books towards the end of the series are not quite of the same quality of writing. But the man is extremely imaginative, and if you like fantasy, it comes highly recommended.

The sad part is that the guy who recommended the series to me recently passed away. He had re-read the entire series many times over, and was breathlessly awaiting the final book(s), which he will now never get to read. Such is life.

Paulie Allnuts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:09 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Will head to the library this week.

Have you read Assassin's Apprentice (corrected) by Robin Hobbs?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:20 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

No I haven't - will have to look it up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:25 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

You won't be able to put it down. It is a trilogy and truly rivals TLOR.