LOGIN

Hey, Stephen here. Everyone, “Hey, Stephen!” In addition to my Wednesday afternoon look at prospects, through the incredible generosity of Rudy (nice fro!) and Grey (love the stache!), I’m going to write a Sunday post each week about players that are currently performing well in the minors and may get called up sooner than later that could help your fantasy baseball team. You’re gonna like this!

Devin Mesoraco – The Red’s newly anointed stud catching prospect and a preliminary grab in Grey/Rudy’s NL LABR league. Mesoraco has started the season on fire. He started the season with three solo home runs and on 4/13/11 he had 5 RBI. He’s slashing .320/.393/.800 in 25 early Triple-A at-bats.  (Rudy:  LOVE Mesoraco but it’ll take an injury to Hanigan or Ramon Hernandez for him to make the team.  And even then he’d get half the starts.  A must stash for keeper and NL-only leagues but useless otherwise.)

Jerry Sands – It’s only a matter of time before the Dodgers click L1 to rewind on their journey with the Loney-bin and replace him with the Sands-of-time. Jerry has bashed four early home runs and is at the top of the leaders boards with 15 RBI as of 4/14/11. With only two strikeouts to start the year in 33 at-bats, Sands is looking more and more like smooth choice for the shores of California.

Jesus Montero – Baseball’s Baby-Jesus, Jesus has slashed .448/.448/.655 in 29 at-bats playing in Triple-A.  That’s Mauer-esque average but, so far, Mauer-esque power – 1 home run and 3 doubles to combine with 9 singles. He could be an early season call-up who can hit like Buster Posey.

Dee Gordon – Hello, my name is Dee and I have a problem. Thadda boy, the first step is to admit your problem. Shhh! I’m not Alcides Escobar. My name is Dee Gordon and I have a problem, the problem is the Dodgers won’t call me up to replace Furcal. It might be your strikeouts or raw defense. SHH! I’ve got speed and Davey Lopes is the King of SAGNOF.

Dustin Ackley – Spending time in the minors to improve his offensive defense at second base (defense in the outfield is good). Has moderate 2011 fantasy upside, especially if given second base eligibility.  (Rudy:  I drafted him in an AL-only league.  He’s definitely called up in late May/early June.  But I agree with Stephen – best case is maybe 7 Hrs and 10 SB with decent average)

Brandon Allen – Can’t buy a break. First Juan Miranda then Russell Branyan. Better start hitting at Reno or the early season wager wasn’t worth the gamble.

Paul Goldschmidt – The time to invest in gold was 2009. It’s now 2011, gold is at its peak and your physical therapist couldn’t sell unidentified “flaxseed oil” to Jose Canseco. However, Goldschmidt – brought to you by the Gold Guys – has hit four early home runs with a 6:3 K:BB ratio at Double-A. This might be the time to buy (my) hype while the media slowly picks up on him. Blocked by several Diamondbacks, only Brandon Allen can be more exciting in Arizona. (That’s from a prospect perspective of course.)

Kyle Gibson – Call me a fanboy, but I don’t think Blackburn or Duensing will stay in the Twins rotation the whole year. Gibson should be the first one called up.

Brett Lawrie – Lawrie is the other end of the ‘Marcum to the Brewers’ trade.  Currently struggling to play defense at third.  Who needs defense in Toronto when you can hit home runs, steal bases and strikeout? Could easily be a mini-Drew Stubbs if given 100 games. Not see mention that Edwin Encarnacion hasn’t done anything to sustain an everyday job and Jayson Nix is just a utility type.

Brett Jackson – I’ve heard he yells, “Fukudome Infidels!” during each hit and “Stitches,” when he reaches second after a steal. The tin can in his back pocket is his voodoo doll of Fukudome and Soriano. Not that a doll is needed when Fukudome can’t hit in May and Soriano will be injured come June.  Guess Jackson is just showing off his early slash line of .480/.563/.720 in 25 at-bats with one home run, four steals and his saboteur skills.  (Rudy:  A great prospect but he’s only in Double-A right now.  I don’t see him with the team until September unless 2 of the Cubs 4 OFs get hurt.)

Jenrry Mejia – Has started the year on a hot streak. No runs allowed in 12 2/3 innings with a total of 11 baserunners and 11 strikeouts at Triple-A. Dillion Gee is getting a spot start on 4/17/11, but Mejia has the better upside. It may be the Mets but I still want part of this Mejia Fajita.

Andrew Oliver – The Tiger’s farmhand throws a mid 90s fastball that tops out at 96 MPH and a good slider. Might explain his 14 strikeouts in 12 innings; only 10 baserunners all year too.  Oliver has a high possibility to start for the Tigers by May and feast on the AL Central if Porcello or Penny continues to struggle.

Manny Banuelos/Dellin Betances – Both just were placed on the DL. Both expected to miss only a week or so. Could called up by the middle of the summer depending on progress and the Yankees needs. Just don’t be surprised if they’re not pitching for the Bronx Bombers when they are called up.  (Rudy:  I think there’s close to zero chance that the Yankees trade either of these two.  Jesus Montero is much more likely to be traded since they need to keep DH open for A-Rod/Jeter, 1B is set, and they have two other Catcher prospects.)