It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: League Draft Help
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:38 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Sorry! I'm just so excited and I can't hide it! Around here the celebration was on par with VE-day and VJ-day. I get real football for the first time since Ron Turner's tour with Erik Kramer. Real screen passes! A mobile quarterback! And the chance to convert on third down! WOOT! WOOT!

Now if we can just get Devin a brain....

OK... and I get a timeout for using too many exclamation marks.

c: Mauer
1b: Votto
2b: BP
ss:
3b: Longoria
OF: Cargo, Heyward,
Utilx2:Huff
B:
DL:

SP: Kershaw
Sp: Verlander
Sp: John Danks
Sp: Doc
Sp: Cahill
SP: Ted Lilly
Sp: Ian Kennedy
Sp: Hammel
Sp: Lowe
Sp: Anibal, Garland, Narvy,Zambrano, Niese, & Duensing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:05 am 

I take it your not too concerned about losing Kyle Orton.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:09 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Kyle was serviceable but Cutler's #s from his first three years put him in exclusive NFL qb company.

ss:
B:
DL:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:43 pm 

Sounds good.

I'll look for an approach of

Round 1: Tier one RB
Round 2: Tier one QB
Round 3: Tier two RB
Round 4: Tier two QB
Round 5: Tier three RB, Tier two WR (if available)
Round 6: Depending on your previous pick RB or WR

I'm looking to set some rankings/projections. What resources do you use (website/magazine/etc.) Or do you base a lot of your projections on your own instincts? I figure the common approach is to use your own instincts along with the guidance of another source.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:28 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

RB = All offensive line and injury proneness.

ss:
B:
DL:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:55 pm 

cws05nuts wrote:
RB = All offensive line and injury proneness.

agreed

I generally use any rankings I can get my hands on. I really used to like Melnick and Greco before they formed Fantasy 911. Now anything useful costs money but they used to have football nailed. Now I just read everything I can and compare and contrast the rankings, set my tiers, and have to trust my knowledge of the players.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:07 am 

32 starting QBs in the league? i'd take the best QB available in the 1st, and look for a decent one with job security whenever it gets there, probably around #20 QB. don't know when that would be, never been in a 2 QB league. Someone like Flacco, Campbell, or Garrard. Noone that will light up the stat sheet, but someone that won't lose the job. If you get stuck with a #2 QB ranked around 25, you'll have to pick up a backup or 2 because they'll probably lose their job. If you get 2 reliable guys, you can use those picks in the later rounds to get the Tim Hightowers, Pierre Thomas's, Chris Johnsons, and Darren Sproles. All drafted in the last 2 rounds (19&20) of my 12 team league last year. It's pretty much a crapshoot (RD 17 and 18 saw aundrae allison, jacoby jones, and shaun macdonald go off the board), but if you can nab 1 or 2 (i was lucky enough to draft hightower and thomas with my last 2 picks, ended up taking 1st place and won the points total 6 of the 13 weeks in the regular season), then you're in great shape.

If you get a pick in the top half of the draft, and go with a RB/WR, then you'd have to wait til picks 25-32 (only the end of round 2 in a 16 team) for your second pick, and your best options probably wont be better than the 10 or 15th best QB. Maybe a Hasselbeck/Cassel/Delhomme. Then you almost have to take another QB in the 3rd or you'll be waiting til pick 57-64 to get your QB2. then you're probably looking at around the 25th or so QB.

Again, i've never drafted a 2QB league, so i could be way off base. but i wouldn't take a chance and wait on QBs. I say grab an elite QB, and then you can atleast sit back and wait to see what's left and when you can grab a QB2.

Last year i had the 12th pick in my mostly standard, PPR league. Moss and TO at the turn (1st/2nd WR's taken). 3/4/5 i got Jacobs, T.Jones, L.White. Those would have been picks 36/37/60. You can still get pretty good talent at RB in what would be the 4th round of your league if you do your research.

I'd say go QB-RB/WR-RB/WR, then see what QBs are left.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:39 pm 

Thanks for the input. Just to re-iterate for new readers in case they wanna help..

16 teams, H2H
Roster Positions: QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, DL, DL, LB, BN, BN, BN, BN

Offense
Passing Yards 25 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 6
Interceptions -2
Rushing Yards 10
Rushing Touchdowns 6
Reception Yards 10 yards per point
Reception Touchdowns 6
Return Yards 20 yards per poin
Return Touchdowns 6
2-Point Conversions 2
Fumbles Lost -2
Offensive Fumble Return TD 6

Freak, I noticed you mentioned something about taking WR. I draft 16th overall in this league. I was thinking of going QB/QB/WR/WR in the first 4 rounds. What do you guys think of that?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:21 pm 

marcheese wrote:
Thanks for the input. Just to re-iterate for new readers in case they wanna help..

16 teams, H2H
Roster Positions: QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, DL, DL, LB, BN, BN, BN, BN

Offense
Passing Yards 25 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 6
Interceptions -2
Rushing Yards 10
Rushing Touchdowns 6
Reception Yards 10 yards per point
Reception Touchdowns 6
Return Yards 20 yards per poin
Return Touchdowns 6
2-Point Conversions 2
Fumbles Lost -2
Offensive Fumble Return TD 6

Freak, I noticed you mentioned something about taking WR. I draft 16th overall in this league. I was thinking of going QB/QB/WR/WR in the first 4 rounds. What do you guys think of that?

you'll likely get a top notch QB @ 16, Brees/Peyton/Brady. you dont need 2 of them. While it would put your team a notch above the rest, it could easily kill you. Your starting RBs and WRs would be far less than most others. Take Brady/Brees, and Bernard Pollard could end your fantasy season in the first quarter of week 1. I'd look QB/WR on the first turn. you'll probably have 10 RBs gone, and 2-3 QBs and WRs. I'd assume Brees and Fitz are gone by then. That means you're looking at something like Brady/Peyton and Moss/Calvin/Andre. Any duo out of them would be great to anchor your team around. Brady and Moss probably wont be setting records again, but a 35-15 season is very reasonable if they stay on the field.

Then on the 2nd turn (48/49) i'd look RB/RB. Since it's not a point per reception league, and if you use a pick on the first turn on an elite WR, you dont need 2 WR just yet. plus if you wait til the next turn, you're looking at picks 80/81 before you get your first RB. you need atleast 1 RB after the 3/4 turn...i'd prefer both, especially if you already have an elite QB and WR.

Now this is all dependent on what's left on the board at the 1/2 turn. If the top 3-4 QBs are gone by the time the 1/2 turn comes around, you might be better of going RB/WR or even RB/RB. With 4 QBs gone, you'll be getting a top 8-10 RB, and a few elite WRs will be on the board. RB/RB and your set at the position and can fill out the rest of your starting lineup before looking for a backup. Strategically, probably the easiest way to fill out your team. then you'd be looking at QB/WR the 3/4 and 5/6 turns. As long as you can stay awake for the half hour between each pick, drafting shouldn't be too stressful.

I love that last pick. Drafted 12th last year. Moss/TO, T.Jones/Jacobs, L.White/DMac, Gonzalez/Minny D, DeSean Jackson/Bryant Johnson, Slaton/Ray Rice...remember the draft like it was yesterday. And i can't forget Pierre Thomas/Time Hightower on the 19/20 turn, last 2 picks of my draft were the best 2 picks.