LOGIN

Adrian Beltre signed with the Rangers for five years plus one contract year.  Hopefully, El Senator can turn the local economy around in 2016, until then don’t expect roads to be paved or new schools to open.  “We just don’t have the funding right now for more than 17 home runs.”  That’s Beltre next October talking to his constituents.  The problem Beltre threw at us with this signing is he’s going to be hitting in a park he historically does well in.  So on one hand, a guy that coasts for five years.  On the other hand, a comfortable hitting environment.  On a third hand that some of you might call a foot with finger toes, he’s really just a 25 homer, .275 hitter with some speed.  The steals give him a nice added boost, but are also pretty fickle.  He shouldn’t be counted on for anything over 7 steals.  Might get 12, might get 2.  The rankings that start on Monday will have my projections for everyone, but conservatively I’ll give Beltre 80/24/95/.285/7.  Definitely gives him more value than I expected from him about a month ago when I thought he would go to The Los Angeles Suburb of Los Angeles Angels and hit 18 homers and be a bust.  Of course, him even playing for the Rangers is contingent on no one rubbing his head.  Anyway, here’s some more moves around the league and what they mean for fantasy baseball:

Michael Young – Should play the majority of his time at DH, which will cause a domino effect.  Everyone will be going up to bat while Getto Jam plays.  Wait, checking Wikipedia.  No, that’s the Domino effect.  The Young to DH domino effect will mean Vladdy isn’t long for the pah-tee, as told through Mayor Quimby.

Kevin Gregg – Signed with the O’s.  As frequent commenter, Steve, sorta said, this move comes after Alfredo Simon did what any good closer should do and finished his man off.  Even if Simon is cleared of all charges, it’s not going to happen for seven years, according to the TV show, Locked Up Abroad.  Now that Gregg is in O’s-town, he’s the closer.  That could go one of two ways.  He’ll lose the job by May or he’ll be terrible by May and keep the job all year while I keep yelling for the O’s to use Mike G.

Adam LaRoche – In what was one of the most highly anticipated signings this offseason (by Adam LaRoche and his family), he signed with the Nats.  So now a boring player to own is on a boring team to watch.  I got goose pimples just typing that!  Putting aside my cup of snark, I wouldn’t have owned LaRoche if he went to Coors.  This move does nothing positive for his fantasy value.

Octavio Dotel – Signed on to become the Blue Jays closer.  Love Dotel for fantasy since he’s an overlooked strikeout closer.  That’s a donkeycorn to you and me.

Brandon Webb – Signed with the Rangers.  Love this move for Webb because now people may draft him yet again.  In Arlington, I wouldn’t draft a healthy Webb.

Aroldis Chapman – Jocketty read a prepared statement that Aroldis’s arm will be saved by working out of the bullpen in 2011.  At least that’s what most reports said of the statement, it was hard to hear over Dusty Baker’s maniacal laugh.