LOGIN

These are the leading pitchers in the major leagues for last three July’s.  Do I think every pitcher does the same thing every year?  No, I don’t.  But pitchers do tend to follow patterns.  If these players were good in July for the last three years, there’s at least a chance they will be good this year.  I emphasized last year’s July over the previous years and omitted names that I thought wouldn’t be available anywhere.  Then I wrote the names on bingo balls, threw them in a large rotating cage and had a priest pick them out.  What?  That’s how I always do it.  Anyway, here’s some top fantasy baseball pitchers for the month of July:

Carlos Zambrano – Has an ERA of 1.93 for the last three July’s.  By far his best month.  Except for maybe December when the Big Z can be seen drinking Mai Tais on the white sand beaches of Bermuda.  Keep in mind Z gets so amped up in July that he loses his shizz in August, which is his worse ERA month over the last three years.

Wandy Rodriguez – Over the last three years his July ERA is 3.14, and last year it was 0.75 (2.60 FIP).  June has also proven to be a bad month for Wandy historically.  The only issue with hopping on the Wandwagon is I think he might be hiding an injury or having a mechanics problem because these last two months have been egregious.  Like off the charts tizzerrible.

Tommy Hunter – Only has one year to go on, last year, when he threw a 1.11 ERA in July.  He’s coming off a short start when he was pulled for precautionary reasons and says he should be good to go tonight.  I don’t like non-K pitchers or Ranger pitchers, so I wouldn’t touch him outside of AL-Only leagues.

Edwin Jackson – Last year, Edwin posted a 3.16 ERA in July.  Even in 2008 when he wasn’t particularly good he posted a respectable (for that season) 3.77 ERA.  His next start vs. the Rays isn’t pretty, but then he gets the Cards, Cubs and Marlins.

Matt Garza – Had a 3.12 ERA in July of 2008 and a 3.16 FIP last year.  How’s that for cherrypicking stats?  Hey, I own him so I’m trying to stay optimistic.

Scott Baker – His ERA last July wasn’t great at 4.45, but his FIP was 3.16 and his ERA in July of 2008 was 3.46.  He’s also been benefiting from Hubert H. Homerfree Retrodome.