It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Matt LaPorta
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:56 am 

With LaPorta to be called up, will he be an every day player? Or at least 4-5 games a week? Should we expect big things from him? AKA is he a better option than Lewis for me?

Post subject: Re: Matt LaPorta
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:59 am 

marcheese wrote:
With LaPorta to be called up, will he be an every day player? Or at least 4-5 games a week? Should we expect big things from him? AKA is he a better option than Lewis for me?

I think 4 days a week might be the best case scenario at first. From there, he sinks or swims. If he hits well, he plays more often. Doesn't hit, back to the minors. Has more upside than Lewis. Has no speed. I'd like him over Lewis.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:25 am 

So in a H2H league with no bench and players must remain on the roster at all times, would you still recommend LaPorta over Lewis at this point and hope he pans out? If I wait, he probably won't be there in a few days when he comes off waivers.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:44 am 

Yeah, give him a shot for a week or two.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:47 pm 

They're saying he'll play against lefties so its fairly easy to calculate how many at-bats he's expected to see in a given week. Being their top prospect he'll either stick or he'll get sent back down when Hafner comes back (I'd bet on the latter). Lewis isn't doing much right now and they just dropped him in the order so he'll probably sit in free agency until he picks up his game unless you're in a very deep league.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 am 

They made him super 2 eligable by calling him up - starting his arb clock a year early.

That doesn't sound like a move you make if you're going to send him down after a couple of weeks....

2nd-Weeks ($9)
SS-Zobrost ($15)
3rd-Moustakes ($6)
MI-M.Young ($3)
CI-Goldschmidt ($25)
OF-J.Upton ($35)
OF-Cain (FA)
OF-A.Gordon ($15)
OF-Pence ($7)
OF-Victorino (Trade)
Util-Rizzo ($14)
B-Maybin ($2), C.Carter ($1), Dido (FA), Bourjos (FA), Cespedes ($27), Ackley (FA)

SP-Price (trade), Medlen ($13)
RP-Balfour ($2), Frieri ($3)
P- R.Cook ($1), Buchholz (FA), Russell (FA), Mujica (FA)
B-Samardzija ($9), Minor ($6), H.Bailey ($3), Beachy (DL)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:52 am 

maybe interesting too:

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/a ... p&c_id=cle

this doesn't sound encouraging for LaPorta owners...

C Soto
1B Fielder
2B Pedroia
3B Sandoval
SS Hardy
MI Andrus
CI MiggyCabrera
4xOF Kemp,Braun,Manny,CarGonzalez,
Ut Heyward
SP Beckett,Hanson,Price,JoshJohnson,Baker,Ervin,Cueto,Masterson
RP K-Rod,Soria
BN Snider,AlcidesEscobar,Headley,SeanRodriguez

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:12 am 

It doesn't make much sense to bring up your number one hitting prospect to play a couple of times a week. Wedge has stated several times since the promotion "His time will come". You have to get LaPorta at bats and obviously Wedge doesn't think he's ready to be an everyday contributor.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1241339509256840.xml&coll=2

I'm not saying he won't stick. It's certainly an option if he hits well. But don't think this is a Braun or Bruce situation where he's definitely not going to have to ride that dirty little minor league bus again.

Its a reactionary move for a team that's struggling. Wedge is quickly joining my list of Manajerks who treat their rosters like impatient fantasy baseball owners and ultimately cost their team wins. See also: Bob Melvin, Ozzie Guillen, Manny Acta, Clint Hurdle, Dusty Baker and maybe Joe Girardi?