LOGIN

Jose Tabata, the Latin 21, one-time lauded Yankee prospect, was initially heralded as a power corner-OF but wrist issues have seem to have inspired Tabata to become the next Nyjer Morgan.  He’ll likely have a harder time outrunning MLB catcher throws than those in AAA.  And, much like his doughelganger ciabatta, the rest of his stats may be tough to swallow.  (BTW, does he realize that the B in SB stands for base, not baby?  Similar misconception for Kris Benson when he found out that SO stands for strikeouts and not slutty outfits.)  Tabata went 2-for-4 with a steal, leaving with a leg cramp.  He’ll be fine.  I’d grab him in all but the shallowest leagues for steals.  You could get some power.  What’s the worst that happens?  He goes 0-for-35 and steals your baby?  Big whoop!  Anyway, here’s what else I saw yesterday in fantasy baseball:

Brad Lincoln – 6 IP, 5 ER, 9 baserunners, 3 Ks.  The Nats were treated to another major league debut… Jose Tabata.  Oh, and Lincoln.  I just went over Brad Lincoln for fantasy.  After watching him, he didn’t change my mind about only grabbing him in NL-Only leagues.

Neil Walker – 2-for-5 and a steal, batting .327 in 55 ABs since his call-up while hitting in the 2-hole.  Speaking of two holes…

Aramis Ramirez – To the Disgraceful List.  March Grey is meeting with James Cameron to figure out a BP fix, but read what he had to say back then.

Geovany Soto – 2-for-4 with 2 homers.  It’s why you Ron Popeil your catchers and “Set it and forget it.”

Marlon Byrd – 2-for-5 and 2 homers to give him 9 on the year.  Hey, career year, what’s going on?  Say hello to your mother for me!

Randy Wolf – 4 2/3 IP, 8 ER and gave up 5 homers.  Wolfman jacked!  I figured he’d fall back to earth hard after last year, but I didn’t even think it would be this bad.

Nate McLouth – Collided with Jason Heyward in a sickening McOuch.  Sickening for Heyward owners.  Heyward’s fine.  McLousy could be out for a while.

John Ely – Torre said he wanted to start “taking care of Ely.”  So he’s skipping his next turn so Ely can face the Red Sox next in Fenway.  Thanks, Torre!

Jake Arrieta – As frequent commenter, 3FingersBrown, said in the comments, “Arrieta makes his debut (today) against the Yanks because that’s a great lineup for a young pitcher to gain confidence against in his first big league start.  It’s as though they watched Strasburg and said, “That worked out great!  Let’s do the opposite.”  He doesn’t even have Shutdown Sauce to back him up, so at best he’ll get to see a great start blown by the bullpen.  Sad, silly team there in Charm City.”  Stephen broke down Jake Arrieta for fantasy.  Outside of AL-Only or keeper leagues, I wouldn’t go near him.  Forget those O’s pitchers, bad division, terrible team.

Ryan Ludwick – Hit his 10th homer.  Guess he’s only good every other year.  We will call him, Ludwick Van Evenyears.

David Price – 6 IP, 1 ER, 9 baserunners, 4 Ks.  Wasn’t the prettiest of wins for Price.  Was the kinda wins that make me think his ERA might catch up to his FIP.  But right now I’m kicking myself in the no-no area for labeling him a sleeper in the preseason and then not drafting him anywhere.  Damn, this was my year to get him too, because you know next year’s he’s gonna be… Wait for it… Here it comes… Hmm… I thought it was here… Did I leave it in the car?… Oh, no, it’s here.  He’ll be overrated.

Carlos Pena – And another homer.  Yeah, gonna have to up the over/under homer total for June to 10.

Delmon Young – 1-for-4 with his 2nd homer in 3 games.  I could see him being a post-hype sleeper next year.  Never know, he might string a streak together right now.

Justin Masterson – 9 IP, 0 ER, 4 baserunners, 6 Ks vs. the Red Sawx, a team no one in their right mind would start him against.  It’s a snide remark under his breath, it’s pretending to not see you… No, it’s Justin Masterson:  The Passive Aggressive Fantasy Starter.

Felipe Paulino – 8 IP, 2 ER, 10 baserunners, 7 Ks.  Has actually been a very serviceable deep league option.  No chance for wins and a bit too wild for straight roto mixed leagues, but I’d grab him in H2H leagues if he had the right matchup.  And that’s me sorta, kinda endorsing him!

Sean Rodriguez – 3-for-4, 3 RBIs and hitting around .330 over the last week and a nine game hitting streak.  Currently, hitting everyone but he has a .344 average vs. lefties and a .203 average vs. righties.  Was a favorite of mine coming into the year.  Right now, he looks startable, but could be a platoon guy.

Shaun Marcum – 4 IP, 7 ER, 11 baserunners, 3 Ks.  You get through the Red Sawx and the Yankees and then you have to deal with the Rays.  This is the biggest problem I have with AL East pitchers.  There’s no let up– Oh, Marcum gets the Padres and Giants next.  Yes, please!

Brennan Boesch – 2-for-3 and his 2nd homer in a row.  Or as he tells himself in the mirror every morning, “You are Boesch-a-boom-boom!”  Now batting near .500 over his last 7 games.

Alexei Ramirez – Hit his 6th homer.  As he’s wont to do, he’s getting hot with the weather.  Yes, wont.

Ryan Hanigan – Progressing well from his fractured thumb, still life goes on with Corky Miller.

Drew Stubbs – 2-for-4 with his 7th homer and 2 Ks.  He hits for power, has blazing speed, but strikes out like a madman.  That’s the Stubbs rub.

Aaron Harang – 7 IP, 2 ER, 8 baserunners, 3 Ks.  He’ll be in this afternoon’s post about starters who should be much better.  So postdate my ‘I told you so.’

Adam Jones – 1-for-3 with a steal.  That makes me even happier than his homer the other day.  Now at least he’s giving value besides the occasional homer.  Git r dun, Pacman!

Nick Markakis – 2-for-5, 0 Runs and 0 RBIs.  Now hitting .293 with 3 homers and 1 steal on the year.  Has there ever been a more yawnstipating three hole hitter?  I know Sparkakis, and you, sir, are not him.  Turn in your codpiece.

Jayson Werth – Before the game was postponed, Werth was out of the lineup again in favor of Ben Francisco.  Maybe Charlie Manuel and Jayson Werth can resolve their differences.  Or Jayson could hit him in the back with a folding chair, jump from the top of his locker and drop the elbow!

Buster Posey – Hit his first home run.  It was a moon shot too.  Eli Whiteside bartered with the fan to get the ball back.  “What, you don’t like garlic fries?  I’ll send you some lox from my guy in New York.  Be a mensch…. Buster’s mishpocheh.”