LOGIN

We at Razzball realize that exporting our views across the country has damaging consequences on the blogosphere. To help make amends, we are reaching out to leading team blogs and featuring their locally blogged answers to pressing 2010 fantasy baseball questions regarding their team. We feel this approach will be fresher, more sustainable, and require less energy consumption (for us anyway). The 2010 Phillies Fantasy Baseball Preview comes courtesy of The Fightins.

1) Word out of P.A. is that Ryan Madson will open the season as the closer. What’s the over/under for saves for Madson in 2010? What torturous device would you like to put Lidge over or under?

I will set the over/under for Madson saves at 8 in 2010, and then I will turnaround and bet $10,000 on the OVER (-110) because I think he’ll get somewhere in the mid-20’s. (Lidge blows)

And since he’s such a religious buff, I’d like to put Brad Lidge OVER the Judas Chair.

2) With Crapolanco taking over the 2 hole in the lineup, what kind of numbers do you see him putting up in 2010?

haha, crap in the 2-hole. Good one.

If there’s one thing you can say about Placidome is that his head is gigantic. If there are two things it’s that his head is gigantic and he’s consistent. He doesn’t strike out often, he walks even less, he doesn’t hit homers, or knock runners in. But if your fantasy league hands out points for advancing runners with a productive out or committing errors in the field, Polanco’s your guy.

3) Last year we asked you, “Cole Hamels avoided injuries and got above 30 starts in 2008. But does the 262 innings in 2008 worry you? Can he stay healthy in 2009?” You were, um, a bit optimistic. Now’s your chance to go double or nothing. 2010 — bounce back or thank God we got Halladay?

I’m still optimistic, yeah. The thing that worries me is once guys like Jayson Stark and Buster Olney started calling him a sleeper, he immediately became overvalued. He still hasn’t perfected a third pitch (his curveball is suspect and his cutter gets mocked by Roy Halladay’s cutter), his fastball isn’t what it was in 2008, and when a batter can fight off the fastball and sit on the change, he’s in trouble.

His velocity was in the mid-80’s when he finally started throwing last spring training. At least it’s up to the low 90’s this year. If he can get that up a few more mph’s, it makes his change that much more effective and he can get away with that shitty curveball of his.

I say bounce back year, just not too bouncy.

4) J.A. Happ was one of the luckiest pitchers last year, according to sabermetrics. Are you concerned about his 2010 or do you think sabermetrics is just nerdy way of saying, “I can’t get laid?”

It says a lot about Jay Happ that he was a 12 game winner with the best ERA among Phillies starters and he only started ONE postseason game last year. And that was a -10° game in Colorado where he lasted a measly three innings.

Happ was lucky last year. It always seemed like he was working himself out of a 2-on, 1-out jam every couple innings, but he has a the kind of delivery where he hides the ball well and induces a lot of bad swings from guys. He’s a good fourth starter who will win double-digit games just because the Phillies offense is so damn good.

Although I don’t see him duplicating his under-3.00 ERA from last year.

I got nothing against sabermetrics, either. Granted, you’ll never find me plugging stats into a formula to figure it out myself, but if something interesting is presented to me in a easy-to-read manner, I’m all ears.

That’s not to say that I can’t make fun of their pasty skin and nerdy glasses behind their back, because I do that as well.

5) With Myers gone, which Philly is being relied on to keep their pimp hand strong?

Charlie Manuel, yo. That guy don’t take no fuss.