It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Punting Saves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:47 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Curious to who's tried it.

In 10 years I never have but contemplating it. Do I have the starters to attempt it?

Post subject: Re: Punting Saves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:16 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I don't think so... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:13 pm 

It is way too hard in competitive roto to make up the other points if you get nothing in saves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 am 

absolutely not a good idea unless you know for sure your going to win all the other categories. was forced into that scenario last year after I had drafted 3 closers to start and all got injured. I never was able to get a jump from my competition on the closers off waiver. Bottom line i lost by 5 points, 89-84 for the league championship. Although I didn't come in last in the category I left all the points on the table there. I also fell short in sb and ops. Won all other pitching categories and either 1st or 2nd in the other hitting categories.

Really a bummer because I set myself up last year with stanton, ellsbury, strasburg, grandy, and harper as keepers, drafted trout in the 23rd round, and picked up dickey off waivers.

My leage is a keeper league so there comes a point where there are buyers and sellers for next season. Future draft picks get thrown around also, so in theory it can be done, especially in my league format, because teams will pay a kings ransom for future picks and keepers so you can assemble a crazy team if your a buyer and there are usually 4-6 teams competing at the end for a finish in the money.

Sorry for the rant, brought up bad memories. In closing, aiming for middle of the road in saves is probably a better strategy. 3 healthy closers all season should net you 100-110 saves which should get you in at least 4th place standing.