It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Jarrod Parker
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:24 pm 

What is up with him? Had a bad first outing and then pulled after a few innings the other night? Just getting settled in or is just not that good? Traded Ogando for him the other day and am starting to worry that I should have hung onto Ogando.

Do you think I should sit tight or drop Parker for someone like AJ Griffin or maybe Westbrook?

C - Devin Mesoraco
1B - Paul Goldschmidt, Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko, Anthony Rendon
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Jean Segura, Everth Cabrera
OF - Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton, Wil Myers, Alex Rios, Alex Gordon, Eric Young

NA - Byron Buxton, Oscar Taveras, George Springer

SP - Chris Sale, Francisco Liriano, Sonny Gray, Corey Kluber, Scott Kazmir, Nathan Eovaldi, Michael Pineda, Trevor Bauer
RP - Ernesto Frieri, Fernando Rodney

DL - Alex Cobb, Derek Holland

Post subject: Re: Jarrod Parker
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:39 pm 

Pretty simple so far: can't command the fastball. If he gets it back he'll be fine. I honestly would have held Ogando but that doesn't do much for you now. Hoping CY and the A's staff gets him straightened out. He outpitched his FIP last year. Lot of people were predicting this. The foundation is there. His fastball/change up combo are similar maybe to like a James Shields and weirdly Shields seems to have up and down years. I like Parker in general and think he'll have a good long career but in a shallow 10 teamer I don't know how much more patience I'd show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 pm 

OaktownSteve wrote:
Pretty simple so far: can't command the fastball. If he gets it back he'll be fine. I honestly would have held Ogando but that doesn't do much for you now. Hoping CY and the A's staff gets him straightened out. He outpitched his FIP last year. Lot of people were predicting this. The foundation is there. His fastball/change up combo are similar maybe to like a James Shields and weirdly Shields seems to have up and down years. I like Parker in general and think he'll have a good long career but in a shallow 10 teamer I don't know how much more patience I'd show.

Yeah, I sold too early on Ogando. My mistake. The problem is I don't know who I'd replace Parker with. I mean I could replace him with Griffin or Westbrook or someone like that or I could go another route and drop him for a bat. Moustakas is available. Torii Hunter is available. Thoughts?

C - Devin Mesoraco
3B - Nolan Arenado
OF - Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton, Wil Myers, Alex Rios, Alex Gordon, Eric Young

SP - Chris Sale, Francisco Liriano, Sonny Gray, Corey Kluber, Scott Kazmir, Nathan Eovaldi, Michael Pineda, Trevor Bauer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:51 pm 

Not all the way sold on Griffin although there were times he looked really really good. He throw this crazy 60 mph lolly pop curve and I wonder if it will still be as effective when he's been seen a couple more times. Westbrook has such limited k/9 and he's prone to hot streaks followed by some beatings. I'd be worried that you'll miss the former and catch the latter.

Who else is available?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:55 pm 

OaktownSteve wrote:
Not all the way sold on Griffin although there were times he looked really really good. He throw this crazy 60 mph lolly pop curve and I wonder if it will still be as effective when he's been seen a couple more times. Westbrook has such limited k/9 and he's prone to hot streaks followed by some beatings. I'd be worried that you'll miss the former and catch the latter.

Who else is available?

Derek Holland, Garza, Edwin Jackson, Hughes, Matt Harrison, Marcum, Pettitte, Chen, Wandy, Tillman, James McDonald, Straily, Iwakuma, Romero, Fiers, Hanson, AJ Griffin, Gee

So, in other words, a whole lotta blah. I almost wonder if I should stand pat with Parker and see how he does his next start or what?

C - Devin Mesoraco
3B - Nolan Arenado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:12 pm 

I'm very high on Iwakuma. I think he's going to be a really solid w/era/whip guy with a K rate right around 7 per nine and maybe a little better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:14 pm 

OaktownSteve wrote:
I'm very high on Iwakuma. I think he's going to be a really solid w/era/whip guy with a K rate right around 7 per nine and maybe a little better.

Hmmm never heard of him, ha. How do you rank him opposed to Ogando? How do you rank him opposed to Parker?

C - Devin Mesoraco
3B - Nolan Arenado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:40 pm 

I think he might be a little safer but with less upside. I think it might be worthwhile to hold Parker for another start or two and see if he can find the feel for the fastball.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:41 pm 

OaktownSteve wrote:
I think he might be a little safer but with less upside. I think it might be worthwhile to hold Parker for another start or two and see if he can find the feel for the fastball.

Ok. Thanks. Hopefully he does. It's still early. He's only made two starts. Did he look improved at all from start one to start two?

C - Devin Mesoraco
3B - Nolan Arenado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:49 pm 

he actually looked worse in the second start. Battled the fastball all night. Pitch count was really high early.