It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Saves/Holds - Strategy Question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I am in a league that de-emphasizes closers by using a combined Saves/Holds category. With this being stated, there is a starter limit meaning that most teams carry 3 or 4 (4 is the limit) for relievers.

Here's my question? Since the league utilizes holds, would it be a good strategy to utilize several relievers from the same team...say Detroit (Al Al, Benoit &/or Dotel...) or perhaps LAA (Frieri, Downs &/or Madson) or...? My thought is to utilize relievers from a team that will win a lot of games, will play in games that are close & hopefully has a Manager that will employ multiple relievers in as many of these wins as possible.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Saves/Holds - Strategy Question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:53 pm 

Still minimizes just how many holds you can get. Best case would be having the top guy from multiple teams thus earning more than the combined efforts on one team.

Of course if you don't have those then I would be looking for the best relievers and hope they start getting put into hold situations or become a closer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:04 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Mauddib
Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not sure that I understand your response though. Wouldn't getting a couple of holds & a save during each win be something that would bring more overall "saves/holds" than having relievers from different teams? I should state that I am looking at this (or a) strategy that works without spending a lot of my auction money (i.e., I already drafted and did not spend much on guys that would net me holds/saves).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 pm 

It might work in roto. Big problem is a fair amount of wins might come from those teams offenses so they come back or have big leads. It might not work as well as you think. Id still grab good pitchers first, but a team like san fran or Oakland might work

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:27 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Thanks Bourne.

I definitely can see many failure modes in my thinking but it's a fun thought exercise none-the-less.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:05 am 

I feel like this logic is similar to guys who won't draft a closer on a bad team because they don't win as many games. If he's a top guy he's going to produce whether he's a closer or a reliever. I would say get the top guys from around the league and as you start adding depth it's ok to take guys from the same team but don't overlook top pitchers just to satisfy this strategy. Don't over think it, just take the best guy available.

2nd- Kendrick
3rd- Frazier
SS- Escobar
OF- J Upton
OF- Stanton
OF- Bruce
UTIL- Rizzo
BE- Wong
BE- Desmond
BE- Moustakas
BE- Eaton
SP- Kuroda