It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Punting 3 of 6 pitching stat strategy report
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:18 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I have been playing fake ball for about a dozen years. Each year I have wondered what would happen in my auction league if I stopped spending any money on my starters and spent my whole budget on hitters and cheap relievers. Could I punt 3 of my leagues pitching stats (wins, Ks, and QS) and just focus on winning 7 of the remaining 9 categories?
I knew it was probably a bad idea, but I decided this year I was going to roll the dice and go for it, after all I have finished in the money 3 of the 4 last years so financially I feel as if I am up. Because razzball has given me so much help I thought I would write a bit each week about how it is going with this probably terrible idea and thus if any of you have wondered " what if " perhaps this post might answer a few of your questions.

Part one...the auction.
25 players + 2 DL spots, our budget was $260.
I ended up spending $219 on hitting and $41 on pitching.
The biggest difference I noticed in the draft was how much cash I had in hand starting around the middle of the draft. After the top 40 were off the board, without having to bid and buy the $10-$20 pitchers I used to make sure I had 3 of, I could quite literally just draft whomever I had targeted.
The only guy I missed on that I really wanted was S.Perez who I dropped out of the bidding on when he got to $15. I ended up with LUCROY for $6 so I think I did okay, but I had regrets afterwards.
My most expensive RP was FUJIKAWA at $6, who I really like, but mostly I focused on low era and whip set up guys and under rated cheap closers. With 16 teams I will rarely lose saves, but need to make sure my RP only squad pitches enough innings to absorb a bad outing without blowing my ratios.
My team is in the signature, at least according to the war room my team ranks #1 in 3 offensive categories, #2 in the other 3, but of course the second the draft was over I decided "this is a stupid strategy, and I'm a stupid idiot for trying this"

I realize now I have absolutely no room for error, I have to win 7 of 9 every week, if I face a team that has Jay Bruce on a hot streak that will be enough to beat me. So far I am not optimistic, but such is life I am committed to this now.

Anyway, for anyone interested I will update this post at the end of each week and report on how it's going.

For those wondering why I did actually draft 3 SPs, I did so because they were all $2 and I thought they should have gone for much more. I decided if they start hot I could trade them as add ins to upgrade my offense, and if they stink I could drop them fast for no loss.

Without flattering myself that anyone is interested in this, I will be happy to answer questions, and overjoyed if you guys have advice on the team.

Grey and Rudy thanks for all the tips,

Godly, Rutledge, frazier, Jennings, Moustakas were all drafted because of your tips

C- Sal Perez
1B - Joey Votto
2B - Brian Dozier
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Alexei Ramirez
MI - Kolten Wong
CI - Anthony Rizzo
LF - Mike Trout
CF - Corey Dickerson
RF - Norichika Aoki
OF - Junior Lake
Util - Mike Olt
Bench - Alejandro De Aza
Bench - Abraham Alomonte
DL - Matt Kemp
DL - Cameron Maybin

PITCHERS:
SP - Homer Bailey
SP - Chris Archer
SP - Marco Estrada
RP - Ernesto Frieri
RP - Nate Jones
P - Rick Porcello
P - Drew Hutchinson
P - Brandon McCarthy
DL - Josh Johnson
Bench -Chad Qualls
Bench - Carlos Martinez

Post subject: Re: Punting 3 of 6 pitching stat strategy report
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:41 am 

Might be interesting and you will still have ww moves.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:18 am 

I'm a big fan of punting categories, but this seems too risky. I would have punted the single category stuff, like SB of SV. Keep in mind that when you use only relievers to go for ratios, you are very vulnerable to a blowup because you are putting up so few innings per week. I guess you can throw in the couple of starters you have to try and bail you out, but if it happens late in the week, you're screwed. Could be an interesting experiment, but I hope you're not playing for money.

Keep us updated.

Daily H2H 10x10 Each Dynasty 10 Team Yahoo

Budget: $260

Batting Categories: R HR RBI SB K BB TB AVG OBP SLG

C D. Norris $1
1B P. Goldschmidt $16
2B D. Pedroia $28
3B A. Beltre $31
SS J. Segura $1
LF K. Davis $1
CF J. Hamilton $1
RF H. Pence $2
Util A. Gonzalez $6

BN: C. Beltran $1
BN: A. Pagan $1

DL: N. Walker $1
DL W. Ramos $1

Pitching Categories: IP W SV HR K ERA WHIP K/9 H/9 BB/9

SP J. Hammel $1
SP M. Cain $40
SP M. Bumgarner $18
SP J. Cueto $11
SP Y. Ventura $1
SP W. Peralta $3
SP D. Smyly $4
SP T. Hudson $1
SP I. Kennedy $2
SP J. Garcia $1
SP N. Eovaldi $2
SP D. Fister $10
SP CJ Wilson $16
SP P. Hughes $1

DL C. Lee $49
DL K. Medlen $2

Minor Roster: Kolten Wong, Jameson Taillon, Andrew Heaney, Kyle Crick, Erik Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:46 pm 

I would have expected a different set of pitchers with more stable RP and a few low risk low K solid ratio SP that fall late. Your outfield isn't stakced though which is what worries me. If you didn't spend the money on SP I wonder if you over spent on a couple batters.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:26 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

As I mention I agree with most of the points made. I think I will win some games as planned, but will lack any sort of consistency throughout the season. As soon as I finished the draft I looked the team over an thought 6-8th place, and I will probably end up with a lot of ties.

On to the specific points

Bourne: 1) I'm not going to use any starting pitchers, I only drafted those 3 cause they went cheap and I feel like I can trade them. 2) in comparison to most teams my outfield is probably the third best in my league. Remember this is a 16 team league so the talent is thin. 3) I over spent on miggy, and goldy, the rest I got at or below yahoo values (for what that's worth)

Manormachine:1) this is actually a $300 entry league but since I've been in the money a few times in a row I thought I could gamble, plus I wanted to test this in a league where people played hard and paid attention all season.
2) yes this is probably too risky to be considered a good idea, but I'd considered doing it just to see so many times I finally decided I had to take a shot. I am pretty sure that I have a lesser chance of winning this way than if I had just draft intelligently following the strategy I usually do, still i wanted to see if I was right or wrong in thinking that. 3)yes one blow up in any week and I'm probably hoping for a tie at best, two bad outings and I have no shot. I completely agree with you.

Mauddib: yes good point, and I am a very active ww guy.

C- Sal Perez
1B - Joey Votto
2B - Brian Dozier
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Alexei Ramirez
MI - Kolten Wong
CI - Anthony Rizzo
LF - Mike Trout
CF - Corey Dickerson
RF - Norichika Aoki
OF - Junior Lake
Util - Mike Olt
Bench - Alejandro De Aza
Bench - Abraham Alomonte
DL - Matt Kemp
DL - Cameron Maybin

PITCHERS:
SP - Homer Bailey
SP - Chris Archer
SP - Marco Estrada
RP - Ernesto Frieri
RP - Nate Jones
P - Rick Porcello
P - Drew Hutchinson
P - Brandon McCarthy
DL - Josh Johnson
Bench -Chad Qualls
Bench - Carlos Martinez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:36 am 

I think carpenter is just weak for your league. Maybin is #60. If you had a top 40 of instead of carpenter it would certainly feel better after not spending on sp. I guess that is where I would Target a trade

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I think thats personal preference, I mean obviously in a league where literally 432 players are owned it is impossible even if you only spend on bats to have great players at every position, but I actually like carpenter and had him targeted. he has 3 position eligibility 1b, 3b and rf (we play specific fields, not just general outfield) and soon he will have 2b also. in addition I have carlos quentin and corey hart on the bench. I agree he isn't a stud, but in a 16 team league a guy who can hit a bit and plays 4 positions is a good guy to own.

C- Sal Perez
1B - Joey Votto
2B - Brian Dozier
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Alexei Ramirez
MI - Kolten Wong
CI - Anthony Rizzo
LF - Mike Trout
CF - Corey Dickerson
RF - Norichika Aoki
OF - Junior Lake
Util - Mike Olt
Bench - Alejandro De Aza
Bench - Abraham Alomonte
DL - Matt Kemp
DL - Cameron Maybin

PITCHERS:
SP - Homer Bailey
SP - Chris Archer
SP - Marco Estrada
RP - Ernesto Frieri
RP - Nate Jones
P - Rick Porcello
P - Drew Hutchinson
P - Brandon McCarthy
DL - Josh Johnson
Bench -Chad Qualls
Bench - Carlos Martinez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:35 am 

I do like having a league with designated of positions. Makes more of a challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:57 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

bourne,
you were actually picking up on something I was not seeing, despite me drafting team. until hart comes back carpenter is actually my only guy who has RF eligibility. I liked him as an occasional infield flyer and stop gap when he is hot. I do not like him as my only right fielder... good catch you're righy I an going to have to make a move.

thanks

C- Sal Perez
1B - Joey Votto
2B - Brian Dozier
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Alexei Ramirez
MI - Kolten Wong
CI - Anthony Rizzo
LF - Mike Trout
CF - Corey Dickerson
RF - Norichika Aoki
OF - Junior Lake