It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Machado vs. Hosmer Keeper Talk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:11 pm 

I just got offered Machado for a 12th round draft pick and an upgrade in the first keeper round. Do I get Machado or stick with Hosmer as my final keeper?

Yahoo H2H 5x5 with OBP

Post subject: Re: Machado vs. Hosmer Keeper Talk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:20 pm 

I'd take Machado...

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:24 pm 

I would get to own Machado outright. Hosmer seems like a real candidate to breakout and I have Wright and Headley. Thoughts? I obviously see the upside in Machado, just asking because I can make this happen today!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:12 pm 

I like Hosmer more than Machado. I think too many people are buying into Machado even though he is still very young and likely to struggle. I see him being what Hosmer was last year. Tons of hype only to struggle and then be under-valued next year.

Long-term I really like both guys but I think i would take Hosmer this year. I could see a case where you do this deal and let Headley go back into the draft. I think he might be a little over-rated this year with Machado having a ton more upside.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:33 am 

Mauddib wrote:
I think too many people are buying into Machado even though he is still very young and likely to struggle.

It's funny you say that when you're comparing Machado and Hosmer. Hosmer's only 23. Machado plays a more premium position and will, in time, get SS eligibility. Seems to me, based on positional scarcity, he might want to keep Machado as his upside is higher and the positions he'll play.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:40 am 

apoxonbothyourhouses wrote:
Mauddib wrote:
I think too many people are buying into Machado even though he is still very young and likely to struggle.

It's funny you say that when you're comparing Machado and Hosmer. Hosmer's only 23. Machado plays a more premium position and will, in time, get SS eligibility. Seems to me, based on positional scarcity, he might want to keep Machado as his upside is higher and the positions he'll play.

This is why I said so many people are buying into Machado and how similar it was to Hosmer last year. So many people were on the Hosmer bandwagon and drafting him way earlier than he should have gone. Machado should be really good someday but to expect a 19/20 year old to do it know, is ridiculous. So he plays SS but that only helps if he plays well enough to be worth rostering and that isn't a sure thing.

I see Hosmer as having a similar career path to what Heyward has had. Good 1st year, bad/disappointing second year, strong third year.

There was a time when prospects didn't get so much love and they were undervalued. I think it has swung the other way now. Too many people are trying to get the next big thing only they have too much expectation for such young players.