It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Trade Assistance Requested
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 am 

Going into my 2013 Keeper Draft....

I have the following rounds available to draft this year...

RD 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13,14,15,17,19,20,21,23,,25,26

I am keeping...

Austin Jackson RD 22
Paul Goldschmidt RD 11
David Price RD 3
Shelby Miller RD 24
Addison Reed RD 18
Mike Moustakas RD 16

I have been offered a trade where I give my Round 4 draft pick for Jose Reyes who is eligible to be kept by using my RD 2 slot and I can keep him this year 2013 and all of 2014 and have to put him back in the draft in 2015.

Players available in this year's draft include:

Joey Votto
Hanley Ramirez
Jacoby Ellsbury
Justin Upton
Clayton Kershaw
Felix Hernandez
Cliff Lee
Adam Jones
CC Sabathia
Tim Linecum
Brett Lawrie
Brandon Phillips
Shin Soo-Choo
Joe Mauer
Matt Holliday
Elvis Andrus
Jon Lester
Adrian Gonzo
Hunter Pence
Mark Teixeira
Ryan Zimmerman
David Wright

Question is... would you trade your RD 4 pick to acquire Reyes and then use your RD 2 pick to keep him?

My draft would look like:

RD 1: available to draft
RD 2: Reyes Keeper
RD 3: Price Keeper
RD 4: No Pick (traded away)
RD 5: available to draft
RD 6: available to draft
RD 7: available to draft
RD 8: available to draft
RD 9: available to draft
RD 10: available to draft

Post subject: Re: Trade Assistance Requested
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:07 am 

What pick will you have in round 2 and how many teams in the league? With the list of players you gave us this would give us an idea of who might be around with that round 2 pick.

Right now I would be reluctant to do it. There are a lot of good players available and I think I would rather have your 2nd and 4th round pick over Reyes. Might change if you have a very late pick in the 2nd round though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:08 pm 

Needs to be a little more information about the players available in that second round. You listed players available, I'm just not sure if that's going to be the group of players available within the first two rounds. If it is, then, yes, keep Reyes.

This is more just curiosity than anything else, but how do you get to keep Reyes for the next 3 years? I'm just curious how your league is setup. Do you lose a 2nd round pick in all of those years?

EDIT: Also, how many teams?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:12 pm 

10 Team Keeper League

Each team can keep up to 6 players.

3 Year Contracts.

ie; The guy who drafted Mike Trout last year in RD 12 can now keep him @ RD 12 in 2013, 2014, and 2015 and Trout goes back into the draft in 2016.

I would have the 4th overall pick in the 1st round. Votto will go #1 overall.

After my pick in Round 1, I would have 4 teams behind me with a pick and the back to me again... with the 4th pick in Round 2 and the 4th pick in Round 4.

Hard to say who would be there??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:05 pm 

Joey Votto
Hanley Ramirez
Justin Upton
Clayton Kershaw
Felix Hernandez
Adam Jones
Brett Lawrie
Matt Holliday
Elvis Andrus
Adrian Gonzo
Ryan Zimmerman
David Wright

So these are the guys I like the most out of the group you listed. I would imagine that Votto, Upton, Kershaw, Felix and Hanley will be gone pretty quickly. So that would leave you with getting one of these: AGone, Jones, Holliday, Wright and Zimmerman.

Pretty tough question. I would rank Reyes slightly over most of those guys except for Wright and maybe Holliday. But I wouldn't rank Reyes much higher than those other guys. So the answer comes down to who you think you could get with a 4th round pick. If there is any chance that Andrus is still there, then I would probably pass. But you think he will be long gone and you will be looking at some pretty weak options, then take the deal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:24 pm 

I'm also taking into consideration that after my 2nd round pick (if I used it to draft someone and not keep Reyes), I wouldn't pick again until Round 4 which be a total of 12 picks in front of me.

If I got Reyes and kept him in Round 2, I wouldn't pick again until Round 5 (keeping Price in RD 3 and trading away my RD 4 pick) which would be a total of almost 23 picks later (with other draft slots skipped or being utilized by other team's keepers)

As much as I want to do it, I don't think I can risk letting 23 guys get drafted as I sit idly by twiddling my thumbs b/c I have no 4th rounder.

Do you agree or disagree?

I would almost rather go back and offer my 6th round pick and maybe a late rounder like RD 21 or 23 and make a combo draft pick package for Reyes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:35 pm 

I like the idea of sending him a counter offer and see what he says. I do agree that what be a lot of picks to miss.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:39 am 

the way I am reading this, is you have the 4th and 9th pick in the draft. You can forfeit your 9th pick for Jose now.

If you knock off the 8 best players on your list, would you take Jose with the next pick and be happy?

Also, the question of will jose be put back into the pool if you dont make this trade? If so, then he could very well be available with your 2nd round pick anyway.

So it seems that you are making a trade with no real benefit. As Jose is right around the talent level you would have available at the pick you would be using to keep him. Keepers should give you positive value. And with Jose, you are getting appropriate value.

Also, you would have to get rid of one of your later keepers, I would imagine Reed or Miller... and do you think those guys will be gone by the time your 24th and 18th round will come back around? If so, then you should keep them over Jose.

I would say no to the trade. Keeping Jose for round 2 is not going to give you any extra value.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:04 am 

You are giving up your 2nd and 4th round picks for reyes. He is good, but you just miss out on too much by losing both of those picks. You would be left with a first and then fifth round pick. No thanks