It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Medlen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:50 am 

Started 12 games last year. Went 10-1, with 120Ks, a .91 WHIP and 1.57 ERA over 138 IP.

How do you value that? I mean, did he dominate because hitters haven't learned his stuff? Might he be lit up his second or third time around? Or do yu discount everything by some percentage? Add 30% to his ratio's, subtract 25% from his K-rate? Is there a formula?

I mean, we obviously aren't going to fully credit lst year's line. I'm guessing there'll be at least 20 SP's selected ahead of him.

But...

I've got him in a keeper league ($262 base, his salary is $5 base, increased by $3 for every year I extend him) and I've got to figure out what he's worth.

Does anyone know his injury history? Are his mechanics sound? There's nothing worse than signing a guy for 2 years and then losing him in May to TJ surgery. And I remember watching him break off some stuff last year that had me thinking that to get that kind of crazy-ass movement, he must be mercilessly torquing something .

Anyone got the skinny?

C: Brian McCann (kept 1 yr @ $5)
IB: Eric Hosmer (through 2016, $17)
2B: Anthony Rendon ($5)
3B: Manny Machado (through 2016, $14)
SS: Ian Desmond (kept 1 yr @ $8)
MI: Jean Segura (through 2017, $10)
CI: Edwin Encarcion (kept 1 yr @ $27)
OF: Bryce Harper (through 2015, $14)
OF: Nick Castellanos ($7)
OF: Ben Revere ($5)
OF: Curtis Granderson, ($8)
OF: Brett Gardner ($4)
Util: Billy Butler ($13)
P: Stephen Strasburg (kept 1 yr @ $14)
P: Michael Pineda ($4)
P: Danny Salazar (through 2017, $14)
P: Aroldis Chapman (kept 1 yr @ $21)
P: Zack Wheeler (through 2017, $14)
P: Grant Balfour ($13)
P: Nate Jones ($10)
P: Yordono Ventura ($8)
P: Sonny Gray ($14)
B: Miguel Montero ($4)
B: Gregory Polanco ($3)
B: Denard Span ($1)

Post subject: Re: Medlen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:46 am 

I'd go with him for a year... There's very few pitchers I'd extend longer than that...

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 am 

I haven't heard anything about his mechanics or possibly future arm problems but those aren't easy to see happening in advance. You just have to go after him and hope that everything is fine. I agree I would probably keep him for this year only. I am always a little reluctant to buy into starters that dominate like he did with out much history to go on. I have seen many starters follow up a strong rookie year with a less than stellar one. Medlan is a popular player right now, going in draft ahead of guys with better track records. If it were me, I would offer him up and see what you could get for him. You might be surprised.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:02 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

When John Smoltz and Chipper Jones are saying a guy reminds them a lot of Greg Maddux you pretty much have to listen to them. Here's what John Smoltz said about Medlen:
Quote:
"He's the closest thing I've seen to Greg Maddux, with a few more miles per hour on his fastball," Smoltz said. "If you look at a young Greg Maddux and what he was able to do with that 91 or 92-mph comebacker, it was pretty impressive. I'd say Medlen has a better curveball and Greg had a better changeup, but they're close."

I wouldn't expect a repeat of last season, but yeah, I think it's a pretty good idea to extend him for a year.

12 Team H2H, 4 unrestricted keepers
C - Mike Napoli
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Todd Frazier
SS - Jhonny Peralta
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Mike Trout
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
UTL - Brett Lawrie
UTL - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Austin Jackson
DL - Aaron Hill Hanley Ramirez

SP - Clayton Kershaw, Madison Bumgarner, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jhoulys Chacin, Ervin Santana
RP - Glen Perkins, Heath Bell, Jose Veras, Ernesto Fireri, Edward Mujica, Carlos Marmol, J.J. Putz

RCL - Cracking the WHIP - Admiral Trey
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Jedd Gyorko
SS - Jimmy Rollins
MI - Everth Cabrera
CI - Justin Morneau
OF - Jason Heyward, Shin-Soo Choo, Michael Morse, Nick Swisher, Ben Revere
UTL - Kendrys Morales
Bench - Garrett Jones, David Freese

SP - Justin Verlander, Cliff Lee, Ryan Dempster, Ubaldo Jimenez