It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Keeping Billy Hamilton?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:15 am 

Standard 5x5 roto, 12 teams. We keep 8 players in the rounds they were drafted/kept the previous season. Values don't change and there are no restrictions as to how long a player can be kept. Players who went undrafted can be kept in the 24th round.

With all that being said, does it make sense to hold on to Hamilton as a last-round pick (24)? Especially with confirmation that he'll start the season at AAA.

Other keepers are Jup (10), Castro (23), Rizzo (24), Dickey (24), Sale (24), Moore (24) and Chapman (21).

Could also go with Bourn (18), Pedroia (3) or Cruz (11).

Post subject: Re: Keeping Billy Hamilton?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:00 pm 

I would probably take Pedroia and then Bourn instead. Pedroia in the 3rd is decent value. He might go slightly higher than that or right around that but he is a top shelf 2B and I would rather have that filled then waste a keeper spot on a guy who is still in AAA.

Bourn is also pretty good value although I am concerned that he doesn't have a job yet. I would have though he would be somewhere by now and if he isn't signed by spring trainning then I think it hurts his value. Have to assume know that Upton has been traded, Bourn will get signed pretty quick. So if you are needing speed then I would take Bourn easily over Hamilton.

I still have a lot of questions on what Bourn will become. His speed is unquestioned but the hit tool and OBP will need to get better or he isn't going to get enough opportunities to get those SB. I think he is better than Dee Gordon but Hamilton could have a similar problem. Speed and defense only gets you so far. You still need to be able to hit the ball to get the playing time. A good late round gamble but you have better keeprs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:01 pm 

Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:59 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

My Humble opinion:

That is a crazy keeper configuration. Somebody is going to grab the next braun/trout with a late round pick and ride him for years.
I would keep Cruz in the 11th round.

Chances are you may be able to grab Pedroia in 3rd round if you want him. I doubt you could get Cruz in the 11th or Bourn in the 18th and I think they have a little more value built in.

Just my two cents.