All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Potential strategy question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:08 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

OaktownSteve wrote:
@Steve

It's good that it's a holds league. Makes the strategy all the more effective. I filled offense until the run on the mid-tier closers started and got two of them seperated by a couple of rounds and then I finished my offense and took closers in waiting and other power arms. In hindsight, I might have waited a little longer still on closers as you can count on a couple of your guys getting promoted to closer during the season. Uf there were guys I liked at other positions I didn't get too attached to the middle relief as it tends to be a group where the quality takes shape during the season. Eighth inning guys and other hold guys tend to be somewhat unreliable so you need to have a quick hook and be active on the wire, which is the one way that a holds league will actually kind of hurt you as there will be a market for the better non-closers.

Go for it. Was a lot of fun.

Hey, thanks - much appreciated. Yeah, the better 8th inning guys tend to be pretty heavily drafted in this league now There was one guy who punted closers and just took Holds guys, but he drafted starting pitching too), and there are fewer good ones on the wire.

Another slight wrinkle is that, as this is a Yahoo league, there are a couple of SP slots to be filled. Hopefully a couple of decent SP-eligible relievers come to light...

I forgot to mention that this league is pretty shallow. It's 12-teams, but we have no CI/MI and we only have 3 OF (LF/CF/RF) and one Util. So assuming I don't go crazy with bench bats, I could just about have my offense all done before I need to start looking at relievers. Agree?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:34 pm 

Yep. Agree on the Yahoo league. I remember they have those locked SP spots. You can definitely find guys that will be pitching in relief and have SP eligibility, but if they are in a position to get any holds or saves they'll be in demand in that format.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:15 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I concur with Oaktown Steve. During my auction draft last year pitchers were going much higher than I felt comfortable paying for. This led to me getting hitters at good value. I decided after the draft I would have to deploy a plan like this. So I traded for bumgarner before the season started. I figure since he plays weaker offenses he would be less susceptible to getting rocked. I threw bumgarner and about 6 closers. On weeks where the ratios were blown I would try and stream or just take it on the chin. As the season rolled on I was able to play certain teams differently and I would always pick up good spot starters to help with ratios. The plan can work just be patient. I still managed success even with axford and valverde trying to ruin me every night out. It also helped that trout pitched for my team.

One of the unintended benefits of this strategy was I had 2-3 extra roster spots I could use for my bench. This allowed me to stash both trout and Harper and not sacrifice my hitting categories.

I say go for it, just equip yourself with an ace to lead the staff.

I guess I should mention I won the league and matched up well in the playoffs because of it.

C: Posey ($25)
1B: Goldschmidt ($19)
2B: Kendrick ($13)
3B: Longo ($45)
SS: aybar ($11)
MI: A. Hill ($17)
CI: Morales ($18)
OF: Puig ($6)
OF: Trout ($11)
OF: Cespedes ($14)
OF: Gordon ($16)
OF: Beltran ($17)
Util: Pujols ($45)
Bench: Gardner ($14)
DL:

Starters
Bumgardner ($21),
Zimmerman ($18)
Greinke ($35)
Teheran ($11)
Fernandez ($6)
Wilson ($16)
Streamer 1
Streamer 2

Closers
Rivera, Parnell, Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:00 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Steve wrote:
OaktownSteve wrote:
@Steve

It's good that it's a holds league. Makes the strategy all the more effective. I filled offense until the run on the mid-tier closers started and got two of them seperated by a couple of rounds and then I finished my offense and took closers in waiting and other power arms. In hindsight, I might have waited a little longer still on closers as you can count on a couple of your guys getting promoted to closer during the season. Uf there were guys I liked at other positions I didn't get too attached to the middle relief as it tends to be a group where the quality takes shape during the season. Eighth inning guys and other hold guys tend to be somewhat unreliable so you need to have a quick hook and be active on the wire, which is the one way that a holds league will actually kind of hurt you as there will be a market for the better non-closers.

Go for it. Was a lot of fun.

Hey, thanks - much appreciated. Yeah, the better 8th inning guys tend to be pretty heavily drafted in this league now There was one guy who punted closers and just took Holds guys, but he drafted starting pitching too), and there are fewer good ones on the wire.

Another slight wrinkle is that, as this is a Yahoo league, there are a couple of SP slots to be filled. Hopefully a couple of decent SP-eligible relievers come to light...

I forgot to mention that this league is pretty shallow. It's 12-teams, but we have no CI/MI and we only have 3 OF (LF/CF/RF) and one Util. So assuming I don't go crazy with bench bats, I could just about have my offense all done before I need to start looking at relievers. Agree?

@OaktownSteve - Looks like the H2H league I talk about above (and where I'm planning to go relievers-only), is going to be 14 teams rather than 12. You think this extra depth makes the strategy a better or worse idea? To my way of thinking, if I'm taking hitters only for the first nine rounds (to fill my roster), my chances of getting a superior hitting team have probably increased a little, with others thinking they will need to scrap harder to get decent SPs. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:10 pm 

Seems like it would be better for you. One of the problems in H2H is the small sample size each week so that even a superior offense is going to lose from time to time and if you catch hot teams week in week out you can get screwed. The more dispersed the offense is overall, to mind, the less chance you'll have of running to that problem as each team will have some players that are at or near replacement value, so it becomes less likely that you'll be up against teams who happen to have a number of really hot players at once. Not sure if I articulated that very well, but to my mind, it widens the tactical advantage for you the more weak sisters that other teams are forced to carry on offense.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:19 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

OaktownSteve wrote:
Seems like it would be better for you. One of the problems in H2H is the small sample size each week so that even a superior offense is going to lose from time to time and if you catch hot teams week in week out you can get screwed. The more dispersed the offense is overall, to mind, the less chance you'll have of running to that problem as each team will have some players that are at or near replacement value, so it becomes less likely that you'll be up against teams who happen to have a number of really hot players at once. Not sure if I articulated that very well, but to my mind, it widens the tactical advantage for you the more weak sisters that other teams are forced to carry on offense.

You confirmed my thinking - thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:17 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Steve wrote:
OaktownSteve wrote:

You confirmed my thinking - thanks!

OK, here's how my 14-team H2h draft worked out, going relievers-only. I think the hitting is good enough - hope the pitching strategy works...

C (117) Salvador Perez
1B (33) Paul Goldschmidt
2B (89) Josh Rutledge
3B (52) Pablo Sandoval
SS (108) Danny Espinosa
LF (5) Ryan Braun
CF (80) Desmond Jennings
RF (24) Justin Upton
Util (61) Shin-Soo Choo

SP Brad Lincoln
SP Andrew Cashner
RP Greg Holland
RP Tom Wilhelmsen
P Glen Perkins
P Casey Janssen
P Kenley Jansen
BN David Robertson
BN Joel Peralta
BN David Hernandez
BN Jake McGee
BN Frank Francisco
BN Sean Doolittle
BN Al Alburquerque
BN Steve Delabar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:03 pm 

If this strategy worked a lot of people would do it. I have tried this in the past and finished 7th out of 12 teams. But if you have a few teams why not experiment with one of them. Its not called "fantasy" for nothing. Have a good season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:10 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Well I actually decided to try it this season. I started a new chain here and am writing about the experience. If you are curious as to how it's going you can keep tabs here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32460

C- Sal Perez
1B - Joey Votto
2B - Brian Dozier
3B - Nolan Arenado
SS - Alexei Ramirez
MI - Kolten Wong
CI - Anthony Rizzo
LF - Mike Trout
CF - Corey Dickerson
RF - Norichika Aoki
OF - Junior Lake