It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Keeper puzzle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:30 pm 

This one is making my head hurt.

I seem to have several decent options but not many great ones. It was an 8-team league, but we're going to 9 next year. Our castoffs can be kept by the expansion team. We have 29 man rosters with 8 prospects, $260 budget. We can keep 8 guys, with a variety of contracts. You can keep a guy for 1 year for salary +3, 2 years for salary + 6, and 3 years for salary + 8. You can also give a guy a salary + 6 deal and resign him at the end of the year to one of the aforementioned contracts.

For starters, I have Justin Upton at 34 bucks. I don't love it, but I'm stuck. Elite guys tend to go for big bucks, and I thought locking him in prior to last year would be a good idea. I'm hopeful he can improve on his 2012 numbers.

I also have Harper and Rizzo at zero dollars. Since they are coming off my prospect roster, they don't count against my 8 keepers.

Here are my other options (I can keep 7 of these guys):
Mauer ($15): I know I shouldn't pay for catchers, but it is a 2-catcher OBP league. Plus, I'm a Twins fan. I'm probably keeping Mauer.
Santana ($13): Don't know if I can keep two catchers, though. He is promising in a 2-catcher OBP league, though.
Dickey ($3): I think I have to keep him for at least a year. Not a huge injury risk since he doesn't even have a UCL.
Sale ($1): Huge injury risk, but hard not to keep him for one year at $4.
Medlen ($6): I love him. 9 bucks for a year?
Hill ($4): If this year was for real, he might be worth keeping for two years.
Kipnis ($0): I could keep him for one year at 3 or give him the resignable contract at $6. That way if he's good, I could have him for another year at 9.
Hosmer ($0): I'm in so deep with this guy. I'd like to give him the resignable $6 contract. If he's great, I can resign him. If he sucks, I can cut him midseason.
Goldy ($4): Intriguing. I'm kinda thinking two years at 10 per season.
Reddick ($3): Probably won't make the cut, but he's worth $6 for next year.

I have a weird set of options. Three 1Bs (Hosmer, Goldy, Rizzo), yet none that I'm totally cool with as my 1B. Two 2Bs (Hill, Kipnis). 3 SPs (Dickey, Sale, Medlen). Two catchers (Mauer, Santana). Three OFs (Upton, Harper, Reddick).

I have some time before I need to decide, but any early thoughts would be appreciated.

8 Team, 5x5 Keeper with OBP instead of AVG, 29 man rosters (2 C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, 5 OF, U, 9 P, 6 bench). 2012 salaries, +$3 to resign for 1 year, +$6 for 2 yrs, +8 for 3 yrs. Empty slots on roster because those guys had to go back to auction. I can keep 10 of the guys listed below.
C: Mauer ($15), CSantana ($13)
1B: Goldy ($4), Hosmer ($0), Rizzo ($0 for 2013)
2B: Hill ($4), Kipnis ($0)
SS: Hanley ($31)
OF: JUpton ($34 for 2 more years), Reddick ($3), Gordon ($12), Harper ($0 for 2013)
SP: Dickey ($3), Sale ($1), Medlen ($6)
RP: Nathan ($3)
8-Man Prospect Roster: Harper, Rizzo, Rendon, Lindor, Bogaerts, JFernandez, GSanchez, TWalker

Post subject: Re: Keeper puzzle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:37 pm 

CaesarTovar wrote:

I seem to have several decent options but not many great ones. It was an 8-team league, but we're going to 9 next year. Our castoffs can be kept by the expansion team. We have 29 man rosters with 8 prospects, $260 budget. We can keep 8 guys, with a variety of contracts. You can keep a guy for 1 year for salary +3, 2 years for salary + 6, and 3 years for salary + 8. You can also give a guy a salary + 6 deal and resign him at the end of the year to one of the aforementioned contracts.

For starters, I have Justin Upton at 34 bucks. I don't love it, but I'm stuck. Elite guys tend to go for big bucks, and I thought locking him in prior to last year would be a good idea. I'm hopeful he can improve on his 2012 numbers.

I also have Harper and Rizzo at zero dollars. Since they are coming off my prospect roster, they don't count against my 8 keepers.

Mauer ($15): I know I shouldn't pay for catchers, but it is a 2-catcher OBP league. Plus, I'm a Twins fan. I'm probably keeping Mauer.
Santana ($13): Don't know if I can keep two catchers, though. He is promising in a 2-catcher OBP league, though.
Dickey ($3): I think I have to keep him for at least a year. Not a huge injury risk since he doesn't even have a UCL.
Kipnis ($0): I could keep him for one year at 3 or give him the resignable contract at $6. That way if he's good, I could have him for another year at 9.
Hosmer ($0): I'm in so deep with this guy. I'd like to give him the resignable $6 contract. If he's great, I can resign him. If he sucks, I can cut him midseason.

I have a weird set of options. Three 1Bs (Hosmer, Goldy, Rizzo), yet none that I'm totally cool with as my 1B. Two 2Bs (Hill, Kipnis). 3 SPs (Dickey, Sale, Medlen). Two catchers (Mauer, Santana). Three OFs (Upton, Harper, Reddick).

I have some time before I need to decide, but any early thoughts would be appreciated.

Mauer (1), Dickey (resignable), Sale (resignable), Kipnis (resignable), Hosmer (resignable), Goldy (2 years), Hill (one year)...

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:07 pm 

That was an amazingly fast reply.

Thanks!

8 Team, 5x5 Keeper with OBP instead of AVG, 29 man rosters (2 C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, 5 OF, U, 9 P, 6 bench). 2012 salaries, +$3 to resign for 1 year, +$6 for 2 yrs, +8 for 3 yrs. Empty slots on roster because those guys had to go back to auction. I can keep 10 of the guys listed below.
C: Mauer ($15), CSantana ($13)
1B: Goldy ($4), Hosmer ($0), Rizzo ($0 for 2013)
2B: Hill ($4), Kipnis ($0)
SS: Hanley ($31)
OF: JUpton ($34 for 2 more years), Reddick ($3), Gordon ($12), Harper ($0 for 2013)
SP: Dickey ($3), Sale ($1), Medlen ($6)
RP: Nathan ($3)
8-Man Prospect Roster: Harper, Rizzo, Rendon, Lindor, Bogaerts, JFernandez, GSanchez, TWalker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:22 pm 

Grey wrote:
CaesarTovar wrote:

Mauer (1), Dickey (resignable), Sale (resignable), Kipnis (resignable), Hosmer (resignable), Goldy (2 years), Hill (one year)...

he gives some great advice, don't he Ceasar? :lol: