It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Auction Values?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:57 pm 

Trying to find a free set of auction values for the upcoming 2012-13 season. That going to be something posted here? If not, any suggestions of a good resource?

This is just my second year doing auction drafting (and first year with keepers) - need some guidance in shifting the mindset from draft picks to auction values.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Auction Values?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 pm 

Most of the major sites seem to have left auction values out of their draft kits for this year (assuming those are even available yet, which they aren't on some major sites). Rotowire has it, but it's a pay site and I don't pay for fantasy advice. Basketball Monster has an average auction value built in as a variable in their player rankings, but I'm not sure if it's current for this year yet or based on last year (I'm guessing last year). I think you'd have to pay for the current BBM stats too. I did some internet poking about on your behalf and didn't find anything else useful.

If you're a savvy fantasy hoops guy you should be able to mock this up on the fly after the first bid or two in your league. Once you see what a guy like Durant goes for as a percentage of team money you have an idea where other players' values will fall. The higher the premium your league mates want to pay for those top guys the more you'll want to wait to blow your load. When guys drop insane cash on top players it means they have dick-all left to flesh out their teams and you can take serious advantage of depth at great value. If bidding on the top guys is more moderate you'll want to cash in earlier.

If you feel like leaving your league details I can try to give you some more specific advice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:22 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I probably won't be writing up any auction values. Part of the problem rests with the amount of dollars your league has. Some people use $100, some $250, etc. I mean, one guy in comments said LeBron went for $116 or something crazy like that. Some leagues don't even spend that much on a team. It's hard for me to provide auction value when it can fluctuate like that.

Plus, it's all fluid. You have to kind of play it by how other people bid. The best thing you can do is set your maximum value per "round" - so if you don't want to spend more than $40 for a guy in the "top twenty," then don't.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:00 am 

Alright, so the question I'm struggling with is who to keep. In our league, you can keep any player for their previous year's draft value + a $7 premium. Based on my draft last year, here's who I'm thinking about keeping ($200 total)

Paul Millsap - $40 ($33 last year)
Mike Conley - $18 ($11 last year)

And maybe...
Pau Gasol - $56 ($49 last year)

Here are the league details - any help would be appreciated:
H2H 10 team league, $200 auction
Roster is PG,SG,G, SF,PF,F C,C, Util, Util and 3 bench spots

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:51 pm 

Well, Conley's a no-brainer at $18, but the other two are on the edge of being too expensive. Do you have any idea who's likely to be back in the auction pool? The real question you have to ask yourself is whether either of those guys will auction for the price you're keeping them at. If not then they aren't good keepers. The answer to that question lies in your league's auction environment and the list of available players.

In a vacuum I think I'd rather have Millsap at $40 then Pau at $56, but it's tough to say when I don't know what guys go for in your league. If you have the info maybe tell us what, say, LeBRon, Melo, Marc Gasol and Kobe auctioned for last year in your league. That should frame your players' values nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:53 am 

Thanks. It's the 2nd year in the league, so first time with keepers; unfortunately I have no idea what strategies people are taking. Part of the reason why the decision is so difficulty. Appreciate all your help.

Here's what guys went for last year
Lebron - $67
Melo - $42
M. Gasol - $21
Kobe - $37

So each of those guys will be $7 higher for this year

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:17 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

So you would be spending nearly half of your budget on two players? Hmmm.... you would need 10 more players (after your three keepers) and you'd have $85 to spend. Do you think you could do that?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:47 pm 

Given that LeBron went for $67 last year, and would then be $74 this year, I might keep Millsap at $40 but probably not Pau at $56. Honestly, with guys spending that much dough on big names I say let 'em and then clean up in the later rounds when you have way more money than everyone else. Just keeping Conley is certainly an option anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:52 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I would keep Milsap but I agree, it would be better to have more cash to splurge in the mid rounds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:36 pm 

Thanks - that's helpful. Will let you know how it goes..