It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Instant Replay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:44 pm 

What are people's thoughts on this?

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

Post subject: Re: Instant Replay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:30 pm 

May be nice in the small picture, but someday who knows if we will even have umpires. it sort of takes away from the history/tradition of the sport, but we'll see

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:21 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Assuming it's used correctly, (whatever that means!) I think it's a good thing. The game of cricket has had this for a while now and it seems to work well.

It doesn't seem right that of the millions of people who could be conceivably watching a game (on TV and at the stadium), the only ones who are denied the benefits of the technology are the ones on whom the entire onus rests to get decisions right.

The point about losing some tradition and history is a good one, but I think there will always be a need for umpires (in cricket and baseball) because there are certain cases where even the ump will have a better view than any of the 20 cameras following the action.

As a bit of an outsider, I have to say that MLB umpires are, on the whole, fantastic. There are a lot of incredibly close calls every day (talking here about whether a guy was safe or out) and they get almost all of them right. Calling balls and strikes is a different issue, probably, but I'd argue that the umpire probably has the best view of anyone and while a pitcher/batter might not get the calls on one day, he will on another.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:50 pm 

I see 110 years without instant replay and wonder why they decide to implement it now. Because someone got a home run call wrong ten years ago? Because football and cricket have it? I like the human error element with the umpires. Makes for unforgettable moments. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:57 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I think MLB are terrified that a disputed call will have a major bearing on a really big game and want to be seen to be doing something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:23 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

It seems that the instant replay will inevitably lead to less managers exploding and then getting the boot.

I am therefore wholly against it.

In all seriousness, though, I'm with Grey on this one. Yes, the "right" result will occur more often with an instant replay, but one can't make a principled distinction between allowing instant replay in cases of HRs and any other sort of use of technology to make the game fairer. So MLB has forfeited any rational argument against expanding tech (and accordingly reducing the role of umpires).

As far as MLB wanting to avoid embarrassment when an important HR call is botched, which I agree is the impetus behind the instant replay, I would hope that they thought about how well soccer does even though it basically imposes a rule against ever doubting the refs. Of course, major riots might ensue when a call in soccer is blown, but that's part of the excitement, right? (and I have a feeling the riots would occur anyway...)

C- Martin
1B- Rizzo
2B- Pedroia
3B- Miggy
SS- Zobrist
IF- Cuddyer
OF- Heyward
OF- Joyce
OF- Ethier
OF- Kelly Johnson
UTIL- Berkman
BN- Dee Gordon
BN- Frazier
DL= Ajax

SP-Zimmermann
SP-Peavy
RP-Chapman
RP-Holland
RP-Bell
RP-A. Bailey
P-Ryu
P-Cobb
P-Odorizzi
BN-McCarthy
BN- Milone
BN-Wheeler
BN-Gausman
DL- Lewis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:17 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

To bolster the slippery slope argument, I just read this:

http://mvn.com/outsider/2008/09/11/why- ... nt-replay/

Why not make baseball more like football? Because baseball is better than football, for at least 99 reasons: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legenda ... f100.shtml

C- Martin
1B- Rizzo
2B- Pedroia
3B- Miggy
SS- Zobrist
IF- Cuddyer
OF- Heyward
OF- Joyce
OF- Ethier
OF- Kelly Johnson
UTIL- Berkman
BN- Dee Gordon
BN- Frazier
DL= Ajax

SP-Zimmermann
SP-Peavy
RP-Chapman
RP-Holland
RP-Bell
RP-A. Bailey
P-Ryu
P-Cobb
P-Odorizzi
BN-McCarthy
BN- Milone
BN-Wheeler
BN-Gausman
DL- Lewis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:35 pm 

I had never seen that Baseball Almanac post before and it was great.