It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Anyone From San Diego
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:34 pm 

I am going down there early next month and need a few tips.

Post subject: Re: Anyone From San Diego
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:48 pm 

I'm in LA. But you should go to the Gas Lamp area, Dick's Last Resort, Petco (obviously), Balboa Park and Tijuana.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:54 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

I lived there from 2002-2005, and spend at least a weekend a month there. What kind of tips are you looking for?

C- Martin
1B- Rizzo
2B- Pedroia
3B- Miggy
SS- Zobrist
IF- Cuddyer
OF- Heyward
OF- Joyce
OF- Ethier
OF- Kelly Johnson
UTIL- Berkman
BN- Dee Gordon
BN- Frazier
DL= Ajax

SP-Zimmermann
SP-Peavy
RP-Chapman
RP-Holland
RP-Bell
RP-A. Bailey
P-Ryu
P-Cobb
P-Odorizzi
BN-McCarthy
BN- Milone
BN-Wheeler
BN-Gausman
DL- Lewis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:07 pm 

A group of us pick a city to watch a series each year. 11 of us are going this year, and everyone is in the 22-33 range. We want a good time with lots of drinks while keeping safe. Is Tijuana safe for a group like us? Any other suggestions other then Grey's?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:41 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Only ever drove through TJ, so I can't give any input on that.

I like The Field for pregame drinks (http://www.thefield.com/). It's a pretty straight up Irish/ sports bar, but they have a good Irish dinner menu and I've never had anything but a good time there. A more highbrow restaurant that I've enjoyed in the area is Gaslamp Strip Club, where they bring you the meat raw and you grill in yourself on grills shared by the whole restaurant.

I spent most of my drinking time outside of the downtown area, but not so far that a designated driver or two or some cabs were inconvenient or expensive. The following places are on the small side (not small enough to make 11 people an issue, however), and sort of indie rock/ hipster-ish, but I highly recommend them if those qualifiers haven't made you cringe:

Whistlestop- A bar in South Park, pool, great jukebox, sometimes live music, weekends often have good djs for San Diego.
Turf Club- In Golden HIll, which is near downtown- same general idea as Gaslamp Strip Club, but much cheaper. Also great music, sometimes live piano bar. (covers of bands like the smiths, other stuff that sounds hilarious covered by a piano bar guy). Depending on the day of the week, there could be a wait for a table for 11, but they mix some cheap strong drinks, so your time would not be spent in vain.
Hamiltons- South Park/ Golden Hill (not sure where the cutoff is)- similar to whistlestop, w/o djs or live music, as far as I know.
Casbah- just N of downtown, live music, sometimes djs. (www.casbahmusic.com)

Outside of drinking, Balboa Park is beautiful, if you're into things that display that trait.

Lastly, make sure your group can take an insult if you plan to go to Dick's Last Resort.

C- Martin
1B- Rizzo
2B- Pedroia
3B- Miggy
SS- Zobrist
IF- Cuddyer
OF- Heyward
OF- Joyce
OF- Ethier
OF- Kelly Johnson
UTIL- Berkman
BN- Dee Gordon
BN- Frazier
DL= Ajax

SP-Zimmermann
SP-Peavy
RP-Chapman
RP-Holland
RP-Bell
RP-A. Bailey
P-Ryu
P-Cobb
P-Odorizzi
BN-McCarthy
BN- Milone
BN-Wheeler
BN-Gausman
DL- Lewis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:08 pm 

Your detailed overview is appreciated. We will try check out some of those for sure. We are a group of laid back Canadians that get most of our entertainment from mocking each other, so taking a joke is not a problem. That sounds like a great place for us. Again, thanks for the info. Are you down there next weekend by chance? I could get you a few cold ones for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:33 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

yeah, not next week, thanks for the offer though. enjoy america's finest city!

C- Martin
1B- Rizzo
2B- Pedroia
3B- Miggy
SS- Zobrist
IF- Cuddyer
OF- Heyward
OF- Joyce
OF- Ethier
OF- Kelly Johnson
UTIL- Berkman
BN- Dee Gordon
BN- Frazier
DL= Ajax

SP-Zimmermann
SP-Peavy
RP-Chapman
RP-Holland
RP-Bell
RP-A. Bailey
P-Ryu
P-Cobb
P-Odorizzi
BN-McCarthy
BN- Milone
BN-Wheeler
BN-Gausman
DL- Lewis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:58 am 

petey13ca wrote:
A group of us pick a city to watch a series each year. 11 of us are going this year, and everyone is in the 22-33 range. We want a good time with lots of drinks while keeping safe. Is Tijuana safe for a group like us? Any other suggestions other then Grey's?

yes, tijuana is safe enough. just don't wander off the beaten path. you can go during the day to see more sights, shop, etc or at night for good nightlife. just head to san ysidro, walk across the border, then grab taxis to av revolucion. avoid strip clubs unless you're really into weird stuff and go into places where you can see if its crowded or not. you can get suckered into places with cheap drink offer, then walkup three flights of stairs to you and your buddies being alone in a sausagefest.

i haven't lived there in a LONG time, but you can also head to some of the more laidback beaches like ocean or pacific beach. with that many guys it might not be practical, but also cruising up and down the areas around la jolla is beautiful. also can drive over the bridge to coronado which is pretty.