It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: In Yahoo 10tm H2H $$ points league, favors starting pitching
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:04 am 

We set up scoring as follows: 1 point per total base/R/RBI/Outfield assist, .5 per walk/HBP, 1.75 per steal, -.5 per K, -.75 for CS, -1 for error, -2 for grounding into a double play...should have a -3 for triple play..oh well can't be perfect 8-)

for pitchers: 7 per win, 5 per save/shutout, 4 per relief win, 3 per quality start/complete game//inning, 1 per IBB to offset -1 per BB, 1 per K/GIDP, -1 per BB/H, -2 per ER, -3 per relief loss, -5 per loss

I got the second pick in the draft and got Hanley as a consolation prize for missing out on Pujols. I really hoped my commissioner would follow through on his threat to draft Mauer first. :evil: It's my second year playing in this money league and we used similar scoring in our CBS league last year. I convinced Commish to switch to Yahoo since CBS wouldn't let you alter scoring and had saves worth the same as a win. I hatefuck relievers in fantasy and it pains me to see otherwise entertaining fantasy baseball columns wasting time on these one-inning losers. Love them and work quickly/pitch-to-contact pitchers like Buehrle and Blackburn in real life, but not in fantasy.

I hopefully learned from my last-place finish last year (despite picking up OF studs Lind, Choo, and Nelson Cruz early last year) and decided to have first 9 rounds geared towards infield/utility spot and starting pitchers, have as many real 1st basemen in my lineup as possible and then draft outfielders and sleeper pitchers who I thought would have upside in low whip and Ks. I drafted the first 12 rounds and then left some instructions for my buddy to finish my draft and loaded up some players in my queue to target as I had an urgent work commitment.

Anyways, here's how my team currently stands:

We start C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, Util, 3 OF, 2 starters, 2 relievers, 4 pitchers of any kind

C: V-Mart, my end of 2nd rd pick (reach?)
1B: Votto (5th rd)
2B: Uggla (10th rd)
SS: Hanley (1st rd)
3B: Zimmerman (4th rd)
Utility: Morneau (6th rd)
OF: Choo (7th)-steady producer in all categories...had to have this guy on my team no matter what
OF: Colby Rasmus (waivers)
OF: Maggs Ordonez (waivers)
Bench OF: Adam Jones (12th rd)

Top available comparable OFs: Hawpe, Willingham, Blanks, Headley, Rajai Davis, Swisher, Cody Ross, Francoeur, Franklin Guttierez, Jay Bruce, Drew Stubbs, Delmon Young

Starting Pitchers: Sabathia (3rd rd), Kershaw (8th rd), Lackey (9th rd), Brett Anderson (13th rd), Niemann (15th rd), Scherzer (16th rd)...him, Anderson, and Bedard were specially targeted to be on my team, Bedard (17th rd)...stashing on DL, me likey the sub-3.00 ERA and 1.20 WHIP when he pitches thank you very much, Jonathan Sanchez (19th rd), Pavano (20th rd), C.J. Wilson/Justin Masterson/Shaun Marcum(waivers), Liriano (acquired in trade)

Top available starters: Correia, Duchscherer, Kawakami, Homer Bailey, Ohlendorf

My team will remain an Arroyo/Joe Saunders/Zito-free zone. :lol: Unless they go off on a ridiculous, Pedro in his prime 5-start streak and then I might think about it.

Moves I've made since then:

My friend drafted Pineiro/John Maine/Pavano in the last 3 rds. I promptly dropped Piniero for C.J. Wilson before the season and had his glorious 27 point outing in my lineup last week in my relief spot. I dropped Pavano right away for Masterson. I ended up picking Pavano back up yesterday and had to sadly drop Homer Bailey for him. Still have Masterson. I was willing to give John Maine an audition on my bench, but mediocrity forced my hand in picking up dual-eligible Shaun Marcum.

I had Nelson Cruz's (11th rd) stats on my team last week, but I decided to overpay for Liriano since OF is a deep position and Liriano's relief eligible and has had ace-like numbers in the past. My trade was Cruz/Porcello (who my friend drafted and I never had use for this year anyway) for Liriano/Bengie Molina (who I dropped for Colby Rasmus). You have every right to snicker at this vetoable trade, but I convinced my league-mates that I was overpaying for Liriano's upside and the fact he's relief-eligible and that outfield is a deep position. There's guys like Cody Ross, Willingham, Headley, Blanks, etc...still floating around on waivers in our league that our bound to get picked up by the end of this month at the latest.

I dropped Jay Bruce sunday night for Maggs, who I'm starting this week. He was my 17th rd sleeper. I know 1st week is a short sample and he'll probably bounce back, but he had like 1 hit and one measly walk. Potential better produce some tangible returns with hope of more to come in this non-keeper league and I figure Maggs has a long track record (much as he disappointed me last year as my 6th rounder), started off scorching hot and will hit for a higher average with a baseline of 20 jacks/30 2Bs. Bruce at best will hit .270 with 25 jacks/90 RBI, I'm figuring.

I'm trying not to have one single 1-inning reliever on my roster all year and am going with a reliever eligible rotation C.J. Wilson/Liriano/Masterson/Marcum. I try to have as many trust-worthy 2-starters per week as possible. I figure if I lead the league in homers and innings pitched, I will win the $500 pot. Won this last week.

Long-ass post, but thats how I unfortunately roll sometimes.

Thoughts on my team? Moves? Draft? Chances of winning? Drop any of my dual-eligible pitchers for dual-eligible Kawakami? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SmirkDiggler on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: In Yahoo 10tm H2H $$ points league, favors starting pitching
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:05 am 

SmirkDiggler wrote:
We set up scoring as follows: 1 point per total base/R/RBI/Outfield assist, .5 per walk/HBP, 1.75 per steal, -.5 per K, -.75 for CS, -1 for error, -2 for grounding into a double play...should have a -3 for triple play..oh well can't be perfect 8-)

for pitchers: 7 per win, 5 per save/shutout, 4 per relief win, 3 per quality start/complete game//inning, 1 per IBB to offset -1 per BB, 1 per K/GIDP, -1 per BB/H, -2 per ER, -3 per relief loss, -5 per loss

I got the second pick in the draft and got Hanley as a consolation prize for missing out on Pujols. I really hoped my commissioner would follow through on his threat to draft Mauer first. :evil: It's my second year playing in this money league and we used similar scoring in our CBS league last year. I convinced Commish to switch to Yahoo since CBS wouldn't let you alter scoring and had saves worth the same as a win. I hatefuck relievers in fantasy and it pains me to see otherwise entertaining fantasy baseball columns wasting time on these one-inning losers. Love them and work quickly/pitch-to-contact pitchers like Buehrle and Blackburn in real life, but not in fantasy.

I hopefully learned from my last-place finish last year (despite picking up OF studs Lind, Choo, and Nelson Cruz early last year) and decided to have first 9 rounds geared towards infield/utility spot and starting pitchers, have as many real 1st basemen in my lineup as possible and then draft outfielders and sleeper pitchers who I thought would have upside in low whip and Ks. I drafted the first 12 rounds and then left some instructions for my buddy to finish my draft and loaded up some players in my queue to target as I had an urgent work commitment.

Anyways, here's how my team currently stands:

We start C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, Util, 3 OF, 2 starters, 2 relievers, 4 pitchers of any kind

C: V-Mart, my end of 2nd rd pick (reach?)
1B: Votto (5th rd)
2B: Uggla (10th rd)
SS: Hanley (1st rd)
3B: Zimmerman (4th rd)
Utility: Morneau (6th rd)
OF: Choo (7th)-steady producer in all categories...had to have this guy on my team no matter what
OF: Colby Rasmus (waivers)
OF: Maggs Ordonez (waivers)
Bench OF: Adam Jones (12th rd)
Starting Pitchers: Sabathia (3rd rd), Kershaw (8th rd), Lackey (9th rd), Brett Anderson (13th rd), Niemann (15th rd), Scherzer (16th rd)...him, Anderson, and Bedard were specially targeted to be on my team, Bedard (17th rd)...stashing on DL, me likey the sub-3.00 ERA and 1.20 WHIP when he pitches thank you very much, Jonathan Sanchez (19th rd), Pavano (20th rd), C.J. Wilson/Justin Masterson/Shaun Marcum(waivers), Liriano (acquired in trade)

Moves I've made since then:

My friend drafted Pineiro/John Maine/Pavano in the last 3 rds. I promptly dropped Piniero for C.J. Wilson before the season and had his glorious 27 point outing in my lineup last week in my relief spot. I dropped Pavano right away for Masterson. I ended up picking Pavano back up yesterday and had to sadly drop Homer Bailey for him. Still have Masterson. I was willing to give John Maine an audition on my bench, but mediocrity forced my hand in picking up dual-eligible Shaun Marcum.

I had Nelson Cruz's (11th rd) stats on my team last week, but I decided to overpay for Liriano since OF is a deep position and Liriano's relief eligible and has had ace-like numbers in the past. My trade was Cruz/Porcello (who my friend drafted and I never had use for this year anyway) for Liriano/Bengie Molina (who I dropped for Colby Rasmus). You have every right to snicker at this vetoable trade, but I convinced my league-mates that I was overpaying for Liriano's upside and the fact he's relief-eligible and that outfield is a deep position. There's guys like Cody Ross, Willingham, Headley, Blanks, etc...still floating around on waivers in our league that our bound to get picked up by the end of this month at the latest.

I dropped Jay Bruce sunday night for Maggs, who I'm starting this week. He was my 17th rd sleeper. I know 1st week is a short sample and he'll probably bounce back, but he had like 1 hit and one measly walk. Potential better produce some tangible returns with hope of more to come in this non-keeper league and I figure Maggs has a long track record (much as he disappointed me last year as my 6th rounder), started off scorching hot and will hit for a higher average with a baseline of 20 jacks/30 2Bs. Bruce at best will hit .270 with 25 jacks/90 RBI, I'm figuring.

I'm trying not to have one single 1-inning reliever on my roster all year and am going with a reliever eligible rotation C.J. Wilson/Liriano/Masterson/Marcum. I try to have as many trust-worthy 2-starters per week as possible. I figure if I lead the league in homers and innings pitched, I will win the $500 pot. Won this last week.

Long-ass post, but thats how I unfortunately roll sometimes.

Thoughts on my team? Moves? Draft? Chances of winning? Drop any of my dual-eligible pitchers for dual-eligible Kawakami?

The Cruz trade is a good reason why you shouldn't be trading to just trade the first week of the season. Dropping Bruce is a terrible move too. Through one week last year this player had zeroes homers, 2 hits and was platooning. That player was Mark Reynolds. Your team was probably better before you started messing with it, but it still looks like a decent team. I'm not a fan of Niemann. I wouldn't own him.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:14 am 

What makes you down on Niemann?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:44 am 

He's projected for around a 4.50 ERA.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:48 am 

Is he still a good match-ups guy to use? His K-rate went up as the year went along. If he's one of those guys with average stuff like Happ, then I have no use for him. I was only planning on using him in 2-start weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:11 am 

I'm pretty sure in a 10 team league there's better guys on waivers.