It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 8 team AL only keeper league
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:36 am 

AL-only 8 team league on CBS. It's our first year as a keeper league, blah blah blah. I'll worry about keepers later, right now I'm worried about winning. Because CBS failed us, we couldn't draft the 6 bench spots and 3 minor league spots we have left; we're doing that tonight. First, here's the team:

C – kurt suzuki
1b – justin morneau
2b – SEAN ROD
3b – evan longoria
ss – elvis andrus
of – nelson cruz
of – fra gu
of – nick swisher
util – chris davis

sp – jon lester
sp – matt garza
sp – brett anderson
sp – shaun marcum
rp – joakim soria
rp – brian fuentes
rp – jon rauch
rp – matt thornton

now i obviously need some speed (which is why i’m thinking scott podsednik or failing that, chris getz (other available speedsters: brett gardner, willie bloomquist, vernon wells, randy winn, nick punto, and ick on down)) and as its a 1250 IP max, i need some starters too (but then, we all do). i was thinking of targeting fernando rodney as a fuentes backup, andy pettitte (for the wins and the not terrible other numbers), maybe gil meche, duchscherer, maybe gio gonzalez, maybe travis snider as another hopeful hitter, and debating justin masterson as a SP role reliever.

so other than that, do you see any pressing needs? guys in the free agent pool who are tops at their positions:

run leaders: jack cust, jd drew, vernon wells, alberto callaspo, mike cameron, jermaine dye, ortiz, podsednik

hr leaders: similar guys as above, add in inge, matsui, juan rivera (who i’m meh on), hank blalock, luke scott

rbi leaders: similars, kouzmanoff (but do i need another 3b with longoria playing most of the games there? i doubt it), jhonny peralta, jim thome (who’s not really playing)

sb leaders listed above.

So with the 6 spots, I'll try to grab Podsednik (or Getz, I draft 7th in this snake thing we have set up, but I'd rather have the guy at the top of the order and a better BA than the one at the bottom of it. plus, yeah, KC, but there ain't much pickings left), travis snider (woo upside woo), fernando rodney, some leftover MIN reliever in a misguided effort to somehow get saves, and duchscherer or gio gonzalez or andy pettitte or gil meche, some 5th starter to get some numbers out of. I figure with regards to ERA, I got some good guys there that I don't need to be too concerned about (with the exception of fuentes...never open 14 bucks on a closer, even if it is brian fuentes...ugh)

This leaves me one spot left, plus my 3 minor league spots, but whatever, i'll worry about those when i have the time, plus i got some ideas. I figure I'd worry a bit about backups at positions now. I don't need a catcher backup, because that's wasting a spot. I don't need a 1b backup, i have three of them. I don't need a 3b backup because longoria played 157 games last year and pretty much all of them after his callup, knock on wood. so i need a second baseman/ss backup i figure, especially in case SEAN ROD doesnt hit the 35 home runs you promised (note: you may not have actually promised that). hence, orlando hudson or someone leftover there. maybe jhonny peralta, meh. it's like the cubs having to choose kevin millar or chad tracy; either way i just hope he isnt getting many at bats.

but how does any of that craziness sound?

Post subject: Re: 8 team AL only keeper league
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 am 

Ryan Beariot wrote:
AL-only 8 team league on CBS. It's our first year as a keeper league, blah blah blah. I'll worry about keepers later, right now I'm worried about winning. Because CBS failed us, we couldn't draft the 6 bench spots and 3 minor league spots we have left; we're doing that tonight. First, here's the team:

C – kurt suzuki
1b – justin morneau
2b – SEAN ROD
3b – evan longoria
ss – elvis andrus
of – nelson cruz
of – fra gu
of – nick swisher
util – chris davis

sp – jon lester
sp – matt garza
sp – brett anderson
sp – shaun marcum
rp – joakim soria
rp – brian fuentes
rp – jon rauch
rp – matt thornton

now i obviously need some speed (which is why i’m thinking scott podsednik or failing that, chris getz (other available speedsters: brett gardner, willie bloomquist, vernon wells, randy winn, nick punto, and ick on down)) and as its a 1250 IP max, i need some starters too (but then, we all do). i was thinking of targeting fernando rodney as a fuentes backup, andy pettitte (for the wins and the not terrible other numbers), maybe gil meche, duchscherer, maybe gio gonzalez, maybe travis snider as another hopeful hitter, and debating justin masterson as a SP role reliever.

so other than that, do you see any pressing needs? guys in the free agent pool who are tops at their positions:

run leaders: jack cust, jd drew, vernon wells, alberto callaspo, mike cameron, jermaine dye, ortiz, podsednik

hr leaders: similar guys as above, add in inge, matsui, juan rivera (who i’m meh on), hank blalock, luke scott

rbi leaders: similars, kouzmanoff (but do i need another 3b with longoria playing most of the games there? i doubt it), jhonny peralta, jim thome (who’s not really playing)

sb leaders listed above.

So with the 6 spots, I'll try to grab Podsednik (or Getz, I draft 7th in this snake thing we have set up, but I'd rather have the guy at the top of the order and a better BA than the one at the bottom of it. plus, yeah, KC, but there ain't much pickings left), travis snider (woo upside woo), fernando rodney, some leftover MIN reliever in a misguided effort to somehow get saves, and duchscherer or gio gonzalez or andy pettitte or gil meche, some 5th starter to get some numbers out of. I figure with regards to ERA, I got some good guys there that I don't need to be too concerned about (with the exception of fuentes...never open 14 bucks on a closer, even if it is brian fuentes...ugh)

This leaves me one spot left, plus my 3 minor league spots, but whatever, i'll worry about those when i have the time, plus i got some ideas. I figure I'd worry a bit about backups at positions now. I don't need a catcher backup, because that's wasting a spot. I don't need a 1b backup, i have three of them. I don't need a 3b backup because longoria played 157 games last year and pretty much all of them after his callup, knock on wood. so i need a second baseman/ss backup i figure, especially in case SEAN ROD doesnt hit the 35 home runs you promised (note: you may not have actually promised that). hence, orlando hudson or someone leftover there. maybe jhonny peralta, meh. it's like the cubs having to choose kevin millar or chad tracy; either way i just hope he isnt getting many at bats.

but how does any of that craziness sound?

I'd grab Pods, Callaspo, Hudson, Gio, Snider, Rodney, Masterson, Duchscherer and Pettitte... In that order. If you get Callaspo, don't grab Hudson. If you get Gio and Masterson, let the other two SPs go.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

Post subject: Re: 8 team AL only keeper league
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 am 

thanks!