It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Any areas of improvement needed??
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:47 am 

@Grey, I drafted my money league team this weekend and am curious to see what you think. I went into the year with a strong set of keepers and decided to draft steady contributors with a few upside guys sprinkled in. Our league is very shallow (10 teams, 24 roster spots) so there is plenty of value on the wire (part of the reason I didnt draft any backup IF). We do a 6x6 league (OBP, R, HR,RBI,SB,K) x (W, SV, ERA, WHIP, H/9,K). I would love to hear your suggestions (all picks have their absolute draft number in parenthesis).

C: McCann (Keeper)
1B: Teixeira (K)
2B: Utley (K)
3B: A. Ramirez (K)
SS: Jeter (K)
OF: Kemp (K)
OF: Werth (K)
OF: Span (113)
UT: Vlad (153)
BN: Pierre (173)
BN: Ludwick (193)
BN: Rasmus (233)

SP: Sabathia (K)
SP: Cain (88)
SP: Peavy (93)
SP: Garza (108)
SP: Slowey (148)
SP: Zambrano (188)
SP: Hughes (208)
SP: W. Davis (213)
RP: Soriano (128)
RP: Wagner (133)
RP: Dotel (168)
RP: Lindstrom (228)

Post subject: Re: Any areas of improvement needed??
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 am 

Cain Fan wrote:
@Grey, I drafted my money league team this weekend and am curious to see what you think. I went into the year with a strong set of keepers and decided to draft steady contributors with a few upside guys sprinkled in. Our league is very shallow (10 teams, 24 roster spots) so there is plenty of value on the wire (part of the reason I didnt draft any backup IF). We do a 6x6 league (OBP, R, HR,RBI,SB,K) x (W, SV, ERA, WHIP, H/9,K). I would love to hear your suggestions (all picks have their absolute draft number in parenthesis).

C: McCann (Keeper)
1B: Teixeira (K)
2B: Utley (K)
3B: A. Ramirez (K)
SS: Jeter (K)
OF: Kemp (K)
OF: Werth (K)
OF: Span (113)
UT: Vlad (153)
BN: Pierre (173)
BN: Ludwick (193)
BN: Rasmus (233)

SP: Sabathia (K)
SP: Cain (88)
SP: Peavy (93)
SP: Garza (108)
SP: Slowey (148)
SP: Zambrano (188)
SP: Hughes (208)
SP: W. Davis (213)
RP: Soriano (128)
RP: Wagner (133)
RP: Dotel (168)
RP: Lindstrom (228)

I think your team is stacked, if you get a huge year from Vlad, which I have my doubts about, but it's possible, you'll really be in great shape. Really nice hitting. Your pitching is okay, probably will be strong enough, but in a league that you should be fine. Well done, overall.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:09 pm 

Grey. I am in the same league as the original poster of this thread. He's got a solid squad but ONLY good enough to finish 2nd last season. I don't remember who won last year, or the year before, or the year before that. I imagine that if that person created a screen name for your message board though, it might rhyme with Rain Man Mucks. But I digress. I was hoping you could share your opinion on my squad as well. Which of our two teams is better right now? My whole league loves your site. Your response will be copied and pasted into the league message board so please don't underestimate the importance of your reply. Keep up the good work!

C - open (when people are added to DL it will be Suzuki/Montero/Doumit/Schmohawk)
1b - pujols
2b - pedroia
ss - andrus
3b - youkilis
of - braun
of - j upton
of - hamilton
util - pence
BN - papi
BN - rajai davis
BN - ian stewart
BN - alcides escobar

SP - halladay
SP - vazquez
SP - wandy
SP - scherzer
SP - jonathan sanchez
SP - price
SP - buchholz
SP - hudson
RP - wilson
RP - hoffman
RP - lidge
RP - wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:25 pm 

Cain Fan Sucks wrote:
Grey. I am in the same league as the original poster of this thread. He's got a solid squad but ONLY good enough to finish 2nd last season. I don't remember who won last year, or the year before, or the year before that. I imagine that if that person created a screen name for your message board though, it might rhyme with Rain Man Mucks. But I digress. I was hoping you could share your opinion on my squad as well. Which of our two teams is better right now? My whole league loves your site. Your response will be copied and pasted into the league message board so please don't underestimate the importance of your reply. Keep up the good work!

C - open (when people are added to DL it will be Suzuki/Montero/Doumit/Schmohawk)
1b - pujols
2b - pedroia
ss - andrus
3b - youkilis
of - braun
of - j upton
of - hamilton
util - pence
BN - papi
BN - rajai davis
BN - ian stewart
BN - alcides escobar

SP - halladay
SP - vazquez
SP - wandy
SP - scherzer
SP - jonathan sanchez
SP - price
SP - buchholz
SP - hudson
RP - wilson
RP - hoffman
RP - lidge
RP - wood

Nice username. Your offense and Cain Fan's combined makes me think this is a two person league. Your offense is actually a bit better than Cain Fan, but I like his pitching slightly better. Though it's not like your pitching is poor. Obviously Halladay's very strong. Vazquez could be good, but I have my worries this year about him. Wandy's as strong as Cain or Peavy, but I don't like Scherzer this year either. But I'd prefer to have the better offense, which you have. On the other hand, his offense isn't as big of a drop off from your hitting as your pitching is from his pitching. Think that's a stalemate.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:40 pm 

Quote:
Your offense and Cain Fan's combined makes me think this is a two person league.

This thread has made me :lol: for a good five minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:00 am 

@Grey. Don't let these jokers fool you good sir. I believe I have the best squad in the league this year and I wanted to get your thoughts on how I can improve my team to ensure victory over these clowns.

c-Martin
1b-Howard
2b-Uggla
ss-Reyes
3b-Wright
of-Holliday
of-McCutchen
of-Ibanez
utl-Butler
bn-Coghlan
bn-S.Drew
bn-Beltre
bn-V.Wells

sp- Johan
sp-Lester
sp-Carpenter
sp-J.Johnson
sp-Porcello
sp-Sheets
sp-Matusz
rp-K-Rod
rp-Fuentes
rp-Franklin
rp-Motte

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:53 am 

utzherevolution wrote:
@Grey. Don't let these jokers fool you good sir. I believe I have the best squad in the league this year and I wanted to get your thoughts on how I can improve my team to ensure victory over these clowns.

c-Martin
1b-Howard
2b-Uggla
ss-Reyes
3b-Wright
of-Holliday
of-McCutchen
of-Ibanez
utl-Butler
bn-Coghlan
bn-S.Drew
bn-Beltre
bn-V.Wells

sp- Johan
sp-Lester
sp-Carpenter
sp-J.Johnson
sp-Porcello
sp-Sheets
sp-Matusz
rp-K-Rod
rp-Fuentes
rp-Franklin
rp-Motte

This seems to be where the not as strong offense went. Your pitching's much stronger than your hitting, which isn't a great thing. And you own Porcello, who I'm not crazy about. And Matusz is going to be real risky in this league. And Vernon Wells? I think you might have some issues.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:04 am 

Stating that UtzRev has issues is like saying Bartolo Colon is fat…

…both are grossly understated.

So I’ve been rebuilding the past two years in this keeper league. 7th place two years ago, 6th place last year (hey, at least I’m going up). Please tell me I finally turned things around and have the goods to make a decent run this year:

C Iannetta
1B Votto
2B Roberts
SS Tulo
3B Zimmerman
OF Sparkakis
OF Cruz
OF Bruce
UT McLouth

BN Hunter
BN Swisher
BN Bourn
BN Weeks
BN Theriot

SP Gallardo
SP Hanson
SP Jimenez
SP Nolasco
SP Baker
SP Floyd
RP Soria
RP Cordero
RP Gonzalez
RP Perez

Thanks for the input Grey. You’re the man and by far the most entertaining fantasy writer around.

UtzRevSucks
http://utzrevsucks.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:16 am 

UtzRevSucks wrote:
Stating that UtzRev has issues is like saying Bartolo Colon is fat…

…both are grossly understated.

So I’ve been rebuilding the past two years in this keeper league. 7th place two years ago, 6th place last year (hey, at least I’m going up). Please tell me I finally turned things around and have the goods to make a decent run this year:

C Iannetta
1B Votto
2B Roberts
SS Tulo
3B Zimmerman
OF Sparkakis
OF Cruz
OF Bruce
UT McLouth

BN Hunter
BN Swisher
BN Bourn
BN Weeks
BN Theriot

SP Gallardo
SP Hanson
SP Jimenez
SP Nolasco
SP Baker
SP Floyd
RP Soria
RP Cordero
RP Gonzalez
RP Perez

Thanks for the input Grey. You’re the man and by far the most entertaining fantasy writer around.

That might be the best Greg Gumbel/Bartolo Colon mashup photo ever. I think you're on the road to recovery. I like your team better than the team directly above. (Sorry, team directly above, you can now take pride in proving me wrong.) Your pitching could be very solid, provided Gallardo and Hanson prove me wrong and last year's pitch count doesn't affect them. I'm just about the only person saying they'll not be as good, so I could be way off. Your hitting looks solid, but you look like you're punting steals. Roberts and his balky back are the only real threat for more than 25 steals. Unless you play Bourn, but then you'll be short on power.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 am 

Grey, don't apologize to Utz. The only reason he's in our league is because we'd feel too bad about booting someone who is mentally handicapped. He calls himself Utz the Revolution....he misspelled his own user name!

What UtzRevSucks didn't mention is he had 2 extra first round picks (after 8 keepers were declared, from trades made last season) and this was the best he could come up with. On the road to recovery? Only until he hits the sauce again. I do like that he stopped working long enough to create a graphic for the sole purpose of his last post though.

Cain Fan is already claiming he's the clear favorite now that you called our teams a "stalemate". I have always thought very highly of your baseball knowledge and wit. Your character needs work though. Shame on you for giving him false hope. When Cain gets 7 or 8 wins again, he's going to be upset.