It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: looking for some draft help
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:18 pm 

We use the standard 9 categories in a head 2 head/roto league. In other words, each week the numbers reset, but all the categories count for our win-loss record. So if i win 5 of the 9 categories, instead of being 1-0, I am 5-4.

I am picking 10th in a 10 team league and obviously get back to back picks. We start 10 players per week and have 15 player rosters. We start any 4 guards, any 4 forwards and 2 centers per week.

I would imagine Durant, Cp3, Lebron, Wade, Nowitzki, Bryant, Deron Williams, Howard, and Curry or Granger will be gone. What kind of strategy do you suggest in making my 2 picks?

Post subject: Re: looking for some draft help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:30 am 

Curry- Gazol
Granger- Gazol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:02 am 

It's never easy to predict who will be available when it comes to your pick. People are unpredictable, you know?

Generally, I like to go for opposites with the turnaround pick. Something like an Carmelo/Lopez or Pau/Curry tandem would work well for your league, especially the way it's set up. You won't have the best player inthe league, but by the end of the second round, you should have the most balanced team. Your goal heading into the third round should be to have as few holes as possible.

With your first two picks you COULD take, say, Gasol and Amar'e, and in about three categories, you'd be stacked. But in your league, you need to win more than three categories. By picking the two best and most complementary players, you might not crush anyone in a single category, but you'll have a better opportunity to win more categories. A category win by one is as good as a win by 100.

Make a list of the top five or 10 most likely tandems available by the time it's your turn to pick. Obviously listing a LeBron/Dirk tandem isn't helpful because neither will likely last that last into the first and second round.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:21 pm 

Taking opposites is generally a good strategy, but don't carry it too far. Sometimes going big-big or small-small is just the best value, and when we're talking about the first couple of rounds the game is still all about value. The value of balance is more important in roto than it is in HtH too, so if there's an opportunity to grab a couple of guys that fit well together then do it, regardless of positions. Just be ready to start thinking about what categories you might want to punt based on those initial couple of picks.