It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Closers & the Trade Deadline
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:15 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Just wanted to start a thread tracking on trade rumors about current/future closers. The trade deadline is just over a week away, and while I have no statistical proof, I always think of this as the time of year when new closers are born (while some are put out to pasture in the 8th inning for contenders).

Here's a couple I'll be watching:

Jon Rauch: Grey mentioned him in today's post. Luis Ayala is Grey's pick for Nat saves if Rauch gets traded.

Damaso Marte: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Sawx have a "heightened" interest level. Maybe Tyler Yates is the guy if Marte leaves.

George Sherrill: Haven't heard much of anything about a trade, recently. I think Grey mentioned Jim Johnson as his favorite to close if Sherrill gets moved. I could also see a little closer-by-committee action in that scenario, too.

Brian Fuentes: Manny Corpas is next. If, that is.

Huston Street: The SF Chronicle reports that the Dodgers are interested in Street, and the A's are currently clearing their shelves. Who takes over? Casilla's ERA has done nothing but go up since he returned from injury; Joey Devine has been out w/ an injury for 2 months; and Andrew Brown hasn't taken the mound much in games where the A's have a lead... Is it Embree?

Post subject: Re: Closers & the Trade Deadline
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:28 am 

peter wrote:
Just wanted to start a thread tracking on trade rumors about current/future closers.

Awesome idea!

I mentioned Rauch. What I didn't mention is Cordero was supposed to be traded for, like, ever and he never was so I'm not sure about Rauch, but if you have him, it's worth the bench spot to back him up. Maybe the Nats ask for too much that's why Cordero was never traded.

Marte would actually make a great situational guy for a contender. Yates would probably be the guy.

Street should be moved and it's odd that Beane doesn't value anyone too highly but he's yet to move Street who they obviously have no need for.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:02 am 

Jul 22 The Associated Press reports New York Mets CL Billy Wagner (shoulder) had an MRI on his left shoulder that revealed no structural damage and a spasm was diagnosed around his shoulder. He's day-to-day and will throw before the game Tuesday, July 22, to determine whether he will be available in the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:25 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

chenemy wrote:
Jul 22 The Associated Press reports New York Mets CL Billy Wagner (shoulder) had an MRI on his left shoulder that revealed no structural damage and a spasm was diagnosed around his shoulder. He's day-to-day and will throw before the game Tuesday, July 22, to determine whether he will be available in the game.

Good head's up, thanks. I think Billy's probably got a case of Old Man. Even with the botox injections into his left shoulder, I don't see him getting over it between now and the end of the year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:29 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

peter wrote:
Huston Street: The SF Chronicle reports that the Dodgers are interested in Street, and the A's are currently clearing their shelves. Who takes over? Casilla's ERA has done nothing but go up since he returned from injury; Joey Devine has been out w/ an injury for 2 months; and Andrew Brown hasn't taken the mound much in games where the A's have a lead... Is it Embree?

I've also seen reports that the Brewers - maybe even the Cards - are interested in Street, too. I only mention this because it should be a flag for Torres (maybe Franklin) owners that they should pay close attention and be ready to jump on Street's replacement in Oakland.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:17 pm 

I'd be really surprised if Street doesn't move somewhere. I kinda feel like he's an even better bet than Fuentes.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:47 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Grey wrote:
I'd be really surprised if Street doesn't move somewhere. I kinda feel like he's an even better bet than Fuentes.

Yeah, not to mention that dealing with the Rockies is probably more of a challenge than other teams. Colorado's looking for more in their prospects than just skills:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball ... over_x.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:11 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

This just in: Jon Rauch has been traded to to Arizona.

Who takes his place? Grey likes Ayala. But what about Hanrahan? Doesn't he have better closer "stuff"? (e.g., the ability to strike a guy out)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:27 pm 

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/chat ... ch-dbacks/

Hmm... Hanrahan is very wild. I still like Ayala. I suppose I could be wrong, but I did call this trade last night.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:35 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Grey wrote:
Hmm... Hanrahan is very wild. I still like Ayala. I suppose I could be wrong, but I did call this trade last night.

Yup - another tip of the hat to Grey. You definitely were ahead of the curve on Rauch (while everyone's still talking Fuentes).

You could be right on Ayala, but I might make the argument that Hanrahan has actually been a little less wild.

Ayala: 47.1 innings, 5 HR, 18 BB, 32 K, 5.32 ERA, 1.48 WHIP
Hanrahan: 59.1 innings, 5 HR, 32 BB, 65 K, 3.94 ERA, 1.33 WHIP

Ok, so maybe the K:BB rates are almost identical - though Hanrahan's K rate is better. Hanrahan's been a little less prone to giving up HR.