It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 91
Strangely, J. Johnson was a FA after being dropped, so he was immediately available, and I picked him up and dropped Lilly. There must be some rule under ESPN's add/drop system whereby short-term pickups are not sent to waivers when dropped.

Looking at the Cubs' schedule made me feel better about the roster move. During the last two weeks of September, the Cubs will play the Mets 4 times, the Brewers 6 times and the Cards 3 times. Maybe Lilly will do great or maybe he will get blown up. Regardless, there is not an insignificant amount of risk.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 91
My last post got me thinking about the last two weeks of September. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself. Anyway, here are some things that I am noticing:

1. Oakland get to play Seattle 6 times. Too bad Oakland's staff is mostly unusable.

2. San Diego is at Colorado, at Washington, at LAD and finishes with Pittsburgh at home. Not especially helpful.

3. Washington gets Mets, then San Diego, then Florida at home and finishes at Philadelphia. Again, nothing comes immediately to mind in terms of H2H strategy.

4. Philadelphia plays Atlanta 6 times. Moyer might be worth consideration.

5. LAD has SF 6 times on the schedule. Maddux, Kershaw and Kuroda are probably all worth keeping in mind. SF ranks last in HRs and RBIs in all of MLB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:51 pm
Posts: 31815
Lolhamburger wrote:
Strangely, J. Johnson was a FA after being dropped, so he was immediately available, and I picked him up and dropped Lilly. There must be some rule under ESPN's add/drop system whereby short-term pickups are not sent to waivers when dropped.

Looking at the Cubs' schedule made me feel better about the roster move. During the last two weeks of September, the Cubs will play the Mets 4 times, the Brewers 6 times and the Cards 3 times. Maybe Lilly will do great or maybe he will get blown up. Regardless, there is not an insignificant amount of risk.


You can drop a player within 24 hours and they are immediately available.

Agreed on Lilly.

Lolhamburger wrote:
1. Oakland get to play Seattle 6 times. Too bad Oakland's staff is mostly unusable.


Eveland comes to mind.

Lolhamburger wrote:
2. San Diego is at Colorado, at Washington, at LAD and finishes with Pittsburgh at home. Not especially helpful.


Young comes to mind and LeBlanc has some marginal value.

Lolhamburger wrote:
4. Philadelphia plays Atlanta 6 times. Moyer might be worth consideration.


I suppose on Moyer, just not a huge fan.

Lolhamburger wrote:
5. LAD has SF 6 times on the schedule. Maddux, Kershaw and Kuroda are probably all worth keeping in mind. SF ranks last in HRs and RBIs in all of MLB.


I'd agree with that.

_________________
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com
Image

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 91
Quick update as it is very late where I am. Plus, I have very little to say. I am up 9-1 in my semifinals matchup. At almost the 75% mark, I think that I have this thing won and can start to look forward to my finals matchup. The past few days, to be honest, have been boring, but that is a good problem to have.

1. I have been playing for most of this current week without anyone occupying my MI spot. Given the lead that I built up last week, this has not affected me negatively at all. The extra player that I am carrying right now is Wheeler. I had been concerned about Percival and the possibility of injuries and/or ineffectiveness. After tonight's game where Wheeler gave up runs, but Percival later came in and got the save, I have to say that I am slightly less nervous about dropping Wheeler when I have to fill in my MI spot again.

2. Notwithstanding the announcement that Carpenter will be closing games going forward for St. Louis, I have not dropped C. Perez. Yet. I do believe that he has lost the closer role, but I am not sure whether there is now a committee or whether Carpenter will get almost all of the save opportunities. By the way, my likely opponent for the finals matchup recently picked up Carpenter and Lindstrom. I am not thrilled to see what would have been a clear advantage get slowly eroded.

3. N. Cruz is occupying my UT spot at the moment. With B.J. Upton now injured, I looked at Cameron again, thinking that he could be a fair balance of power and speed. However, looking at the box score from tonight's game, I decided that I would be happier avoiding Cameron, especially considering that I already own Braun and Hart. What does that have to do with anything? I am not sure. I could say something about not wanting my players to be all on the same team in case there are nights when they face an ace and are all blanked. But I am not sure that would be my real reason. With absolutely no evidence or good reason, I just have a feeling that the Brewers are pressing a bit right now. It could be fatigue. It could be the pressure of chasing the Cubs or hanging on to the wild card spot. Anyway, I just have not gotten much from my Milwaukee players recently. Seems like a good time to diversify.

4. When my finals matchup begins, the plan is to play B. Wood at MI, though I could change my mind between now and then. N. Cruz could stay at UT, but I am also keeping an eye on Crisp, Milledge and Dukes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 91
Two developments worthy of quick note:

1. Lilly was picked up after I dropped him. This was expected, but I was happy to see it happen nonetheless because the team that picked him up tends to hold onto players. The less high K pitchers out there as FAs, the more difficult it will be to stream against me. Absent streaming, I generally like the chances of my staff (Lincecum, Kazmir, Billingsley, Baker and J. Johnson).

By the way, Lilly is 13-9 with 4 tough losses and no cheap wins. How differently would he be viewed today if his luck were neutral and he is 17-9 instead?

2. Rotoworld is reporting that Carpenter has been unable to pitch since being used on Tuesday. C. Perez still worth owning it seems.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:51 pm
Posts: 31815
Quote:
1. I have been playing for most of this current week without anyone occupying my MI spot. Given the lead that I built up last week, this has not affected me negatively at all. The extra player that I am carrying right now is Wheeler. I had been concerned about Percival and the possibility of injuries and/or ineffectiveness. After tonight's game where Wheeler gave up runs, but Percival later came in and got the save, I have to say that I am slightly less nervous about dropping Wheeler when I have to fill in my MI spot again.


If saves are in high demand, Wheeler should still be owned. Just on your bench, if your ratios are tenuous.
Quote:
2. Notwithstanding the announcement that Carpenter will be closing games going forward for St. Louis, I have not dropped C. Perez. Yet. I do believe that he has lost the closer role, but I am not sure whether there is now a committee or whether Carpenter will get almost all of the save opportunities. By the way, my likely opponent for the finals matchup recently picked up Carpenter and Lindstrom. I am not thrilled to see what would have been a clear advantage get slowly eroded.


Carp's worth owning if you're vulturing for saves. Don't drop Perez.

Quote:
3. N. Cruz is occupying my UT spot at the moment. With B.J. Upton now injured, I looked at Cameron again, thinking that he could be a fair balance of power and speed. However, looking at the box score from tonight's game, I decided that I would be happier avoiding Cameron, especially considering that I already own Braun and Hart. What does that have to do with anything? I am not sure. I could say something about not wanting my players to be all on the same team in case there are nights when they face an ace and are all blanked. But I am not sure that would be my real reason. With absolutely no evidence or good reason, I just have a feeling that the Brewers are pressing a bit right now. It could be fatigue. It could be the pressure of chasing the Cubs or hanging on to the wild card spot. Anyway, I just have not gotten much from my Milwaukee players recently. Seems like a good time to diversify.


That's a really excellent point about the Brewers. I've been seeing a bit of that too. Where the Rays seem the opposite. Whenever someone needs to step up (D. Johnson), they do.

Quote:
4. When my finals matchup begins, the plan is to play B. Wood at MI, though I could change my mind between now and then. N. Cruz could stay at UT, but I am also keeping an eye on Crisp, Milledge and Dukes.


I'd watch Milledge and Dukes closely.

_________________
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com
Image

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:02 am 
Offline
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 332
Location: Portland, OR
Lolhamburger wrote:
1. Oakland get to play Seattle 6 times. Too bad Oakland's staff is mostly unusable.

You could always turn to Seattle pitching... And by that I mean Brandon Morrow, if he available. I picked him up even though I don't love his start this week (@LAA). But next week, he's slated for 2 starts (@KC, @Oak).

Lolhamburger wrote:
4. Philadelphia plays Atlanta 6 times. Moyer might be worth consideration.

Jaime "Grey hasn't recommended me in 45 years" Moyer will get 2 starts against Atlanta. One of those starts comes at home, where I'd stay away. Moyer's Magic Wandy: 4.84 ERA at home and 2.61 ERA away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 91
Some of you may have wondered why I haven't said anything about my opponent's roster moves. Good question. The answer is that he hasn't made any during our entire semifinals matchup! Until today that is. I logged in this morning and was taken aback that he's finally adjusted his roster. His one move is . . . *drum roll* . . . dropping Fernando Tatis for Rajai Davis! Why? I don't know. It's only day 10 of our H2H series and he's only losing steals 19-6. Maybe he saw B.J. Upton get hurt and figured that he had an opening at last?

Anyway, I have no idea what he's thinking. He still has Carlos Quentin active every day. Wishful thinking? You decide!

I am still winning 9-1. I have to say that the quality of opponent play has taken a lot of fun out of this experience for me. There's not much pride in winning.

I should have more interesting things to say with my opponent for the finals matchup. (At this point, it is pretty clear who that will be.) The guy is a hyperactive roster manager-multiple moves everyday. I think that I generally have better players, but one downside is that I have limited ability to drop players. For example, I'm not going to start dropping Braun even if he goes ice cold. It will be interesting to see whether my next opponent's strategy of maximizing at bats and riding the hot bats - errr - will win over my more talented lineup. There certainly will be a puncher's chance, I think. But enough for now. Don't want to get too ahead of myself. 4 more days left of the semifinals matchup.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 91
Here are some things on my mind:

1. I normally accept all the risk of running Brian Wilson out there every day, but today I blame Grey for the blown save. You have to use those powers more responsibly!

2. In the past 7 days - Braun (5 for 26, 1 R, 0 HR, 0 RBI) and Hart (4 for 27, 0 R, 0 HR and 1 RBI). I'll take the lack of performance this week if it means that I get their usual production back sometime during the next two weeks. Am very worried though.

3. Also in the past 7 days - Soto (4 for 17, 1 R, 0 HR, 0 RBI). Unlike Braun or Hart, there's actually a chance that I'll drop Soto during my finals matchup if things are not looking good. How much more production can I get from Soto anyway, compared to Sandoval, Teagarden or Olivo, all of whom are available? Over a two week span, probably not enough to justify holding onto him when the Cubs aren't playing or when Soto isn't active. If there is a good pitching matchup and I don't need offensive contribution, the catcher position is not a bad one to leave empty in order to stream an extra pitcher.

4. Brandon Wood has continued to fly under the radar a bit due to his very suppressed batting average, but I fully intend to drop Wheeler to use him at my now empty MI spot at the beginning of next week. In the past 7 days, he has had 4 Rs, 3 HRs, 5 RBIs and 1 steal. Tonight, he had another multihit game, including a double. There could be a power surge coming.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:51 pm
Posts: 31815
That's too bad your first opponent was lame. That takes some fun out of it.

Quote:
Here are some things on my mind:

1. I normally accept all the risk of running Brian Wilson out there every day, but today I blame Grey for the blown save. You have to use those powers more responsibly!


Hehe

Quote:
2. In the past 7 days - Braun (5 for 26, 1 R, 0 HR, 0 RBI) and Hart (4 for 27, 0 R, 0 HR and 1 RBI). I'll take the lack of performance this week if it means that I get their usual production back sometime during the next two weeks. Am very worried though.


Hart was good last September so maybe he'll get hot, but I'd be most worried about him. The Brewers need to win and that may come at Hart's expense.
Quote:
3. Also in the past 7 days - Soto (4 for 17, 1 R, 0 HR, 0 RBI). Unlike Braun or Hart, there's actually a chance that I'll drop Soto during my finals matchup if things are not looking good. How much more production can I get from Soto anyway, compared to Sandoval, Teagarden or Olivo, all of whom are available? Over a two week span, probably not enough to justify holding onto him when the Cubs aren't playing or when Soto isn't active. If there is a good pitching matchup and I don't need offensive contribution, the catcher position is not a bad one to leave empty in order to stream an extra pitcher.


I'd seriously consider Sandoval and Teagarden.

Quote:
4. Brandon Wood has continued to fly under the radar a bit due to his very suppressed batting average, but I fully intend to drop Wheeler to use him at my now empty MI spot at the beginning of next week. In the past 7 days, he has had 4 Rs, 3 HRs, 5 RBIs and 1 steal. Tonight, he had another multihit game, including a double. There could be a power surge coming.


He's looked really good and I'll be pumping Wood again in tonight's post.

_________________
Grey Albright
http://razzball.com
Image

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron