It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:28 pm 

Quote:
R: 59-53 (losing by 6)
HRs: 18-16 (losing by 2)
RBIs: 55-60 (winning by 5)
SBs: 5-3 (losing by 2)
AVG: .302-.293 (losing by .009)

Ks: 68-102 (winning by 34)
Wins: 4-7 (winning by 3)
Saves: 3-5 (winning by 2)
ERA: 2.71-4.33 (losing but now under 4.50)
WHIP: 1.22-1.37 (also losing badly but not by as much anymore)

1. For Monday, my opponent picked up Cust, Hairston, Garko, G. Anderson and G. Smith (at Texas vs Millwood) and dropped Lyon (about time), A. Casilla, Arroyo, Sonnanstine and Volstad. I like my pickups better and am glad that I beat him to the punch today. As the score starts to tighten, I can see an arms race developing for who adds players the fastest for the following day. This is a full streaming war right now.
I'm sure you realize that if some of his spot starts blow up in his face, and he's no longer winning in ERA, then you can pull back and let him self-destruct.

Quote:
2. First game tomorrow is at 1:10 between Florida and Cincinnati. This is unfortunate because I won't be able to find out in advance whether the Cubs will be playing Soto. Soto was given today off, and I think that his usefulness will be marginal from now until the end of the regular season. The Cubs have no reason not to give his legs a break before the playoffs when he'll surely be used heavily. My other options for tomorrow (and possibly the rest of the week) include Schneider, J. Baker, Johjima, Ryan, Napoli, Buck, Ruiz, Laird and Teagarden. Schneider and J. Baker have played very well in the past 7 days and seem to be getting the most playing time of this bunch. Napoli has also played well but has not gotten regular playing time. Teagarden has gotten almost no playing time in the past 7 days. I see that Napoli played today. Will the Angels be giving Mathis more a break this coming week? In any event, it seems pretty important to grab Sandoval for Tuesday and going forward. Worth noting that Sandoval has a strained quad though. But that hasn't kept him from playing like someone else I know!
Sandoval hasn't really played the last two days.
Quote:
3. My opponent owns Ziegler so I was pretty happy to see Devine get the save today. Devine is still available. Consider dropping Motte for him. Also considering dropping Percival for him. Hard to say. Anything can happen in the last week. Wish my margin for winning saves were not slight. This and the fact that I'm losing SBs are the two biggest surprises for me out of the first week of finals.
Well, hopefully those two categories return the norm then.
Quote:
4. According to covers.com, Jamie Moyer is now 10-1 in his last 11 starts against Florida. One thing that I've often wondered is why fantasy baseball players don't look at Las Vegas odds more often? Or if they do, why isn't it talked about more? I suppose the fundamental question is whether any insights can be gained about the possible outcomes of a game based on how people with money at stake view the lines. An interesting study might be the outcome for streaming pitchers based on Las Vegas odds. Unfortunately, it will take someone with more time than me to look into this.
I wonder if Moyer would bet on himself.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:49 am 

I am considerably annoyed with myself at the moment. With the FLA/CIN game at 1:10, you would think that I would check to make sure that Amezaga were playing today since he is on my roster, right? Wrong. I totally forgot that I had picked him up so it did not even occur to me to check. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I was even online at the time and checking whether J. Baker was playing for FLA as catcher today (he was not). I ended up dropping Soto minutes before the start of the day's first game to pick up Napoli. Like I said before, I am just convinced that the Cubs will want to rest Soto more this week.

Luckily, Maybin is playing today, though I forgot to check on him too. I think that I was too focused on beating my opponent to adding Tuesday's players.

I am not sure why but another team in the league, at 9:00 this morning, added J. Johnson for Bush, C. Young (SD) for Looper and Milledge for Scott. So random. This is not even a playoff team! It is like he just decided out of the blue to make some roster changes for the heck of it.

Oh, I should mention that I switched out Callaspo for As. Cabrera for today. With Shealy and Teahen going already, I figure that I spread my risk a bit. The impact of the change will likely be marginal.

Anyway, at 1:11 this afternoon, I dropped Maybin, Shealy, Teahen, Amezaga and picked up Billingsley (at SD and no Peavy), S. Baker (CWS at home), W. Rodriguez (Cincinnati at home) and Olsen (at Washington). Not a bad bunch of pitchers to have available for streaming purposes, huh? Litsch (NYY at home) is still available, and I am on the fence about using him instead of Way-Rod (injury risk).

Josh Outman is pitching against Texas on Tuesday. It is too bad that he is not a good enough pitcher to live up to him name.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:56 am 

Lolhamburger wrote:
Josh Outman is pitching against Texas on Tuesday. It is too bad that he is not a good enough pitcher to live up to him name.
Ha!

Lolhamburger wrote:
I am not sure why but another team in the league, at 9:00 this morning, added J. Johnson for Bush, C. Young (SD) for Looper and Milledge for Scott. So random. This is not even a playoff team! It is like he just decided out of the blue to make some roster changes for the heck of it.
I had a similar thing happen in one league, but the non-playoff team just dropped everyone. Was very lame and I feel like Yahoo should have something in place so this isn't possible. If you're not in the playoffs, you shouldn't be allowed to do anything anymore.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:57 pm 

If anyone is following this thread for H2H insights, rather than just my artful prose, please consider whether any TB or Bal players are available to be picked up for tomorrow's double-header.

Jason Bartlett might be worth picking up if B.J. Upton does not play on Tuesday at all. Salazar could also be worth a look if he is playing in both games (not very likely). Adam Jones is available in my league, and I think that he is likely to play both games. However, I would have to drop N. Cruz for him, and I am not sure that I want to do that. The likely options become poor after that. Millar might be an ok option for power if it were not for the fact that his playing time has been very erratic as of late.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:19 pm 

Yeah, that's a good heads up for H2H owners.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:54 pm 

The Tigers are not playing Mi. Cabrera tonight. Booo!

The opposing team has now picked up Litsch and Wakefield for tomorrow and Scherzer for Wednesday. It really is too bad that he is not panicking and picking up a timebomb to use for tomorrow instead of Scherzer. But forcing him to hold onto players that are not contributing is nice too.

Soto is playing. Guess I guessed that one wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:00 pm 

Soto'll probably sit a few days this week though. They obviously have to make sure people aren't completely out of game shape for the playoffs either.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:54 pm 

Ok, report time, update for Monday, September 23. Today was a real bummer. Not in terms of overall movement in the scores, but rather in terms of lost opportunity. If I end up losing at the end of this week, there will be many moments that I can point to as the "turning point" and one of them will be today. With a full roster of batters with games, I ended up getting back 10/40, 2 runs, 3 RBIs and nothing else. What a huge lost opportunity to make up ground.

Here is the current score:

Runs 65-55 (losing)
HRs 18-16 (losing)
RBIs 61-63 (winning)
SBs 6-3 (losing)
AVG .294-.288 (losing)

Ks 69-104 (winning)
Wins 4-7 (winning)
Saves 3-5 (winning)
ERA .286-.435 (losing)
WHIP 1.27-1.42 (losing)

1. Tomorrow, I am starting Lincecum, Billingsley, Baker, W. Rodriguez and Olsen. My opponent will have Jer. Weaver and R. Johnson going. Lucky for me, his Harden's start gets pushed until Thursday, so he'll be forced to carry Harden for two extra days.

2. With so many starters, I am forced to bench some closers. I have B. Wilson, Fuentes, Broxton and Wheeler active. Ayala, F. Francisco and Motte are on the bench. Is this the right active/bench mix? Note that I dropped Percival for Wheeler. Wheeler got the save tonight and has two games tomorrow. Percival did not travel with the team and is getting an epidural on Tuesday. I do not know why this news has been reported on Rotowire, but not Rotoworld. Shame, shame on the usually realible Rotoworld. Not all of us are playing fantasy football only yet.

3. Devine is still available. I am planning on picking him up tomorrow at 5:05 (i.e., right after the start of the first game of the day). If he gets any shots at closing, I need to make sure that my opponent does not grab him.

4. I dropped As. Cabrera for Bartlett for Tuesday. Bartlett has two games and I hope that he gets to play in both. I need steals. I am considering dropping Tejada for Velez, but I need to be nudged a bit into acting, I think.

5. I just added Soto and dropped Napoli for tonight. No real reason other than to keep my options open. Since J. Baker had today off, I might plug him in tomorrow rather than risk Soto not playing two days in a row. The fact that Soto would be facing J. Santana is good reason not to use him anyway.

6. Who should I use at the moment? N. Cruz, Shealy or Teahen? I sort of see this as a crap shoot. Texas plays at Arlington for the next two games. Probably good enough reason to stick with N. Cruz for now. Hope Outman does not get him out tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:14 pm 

Quote:
Ok, report time, update for Monday, September 23. Today was a real bummer. Not in terms of overall movement in the scores, but rather in terms of lost opportunity. If I end up losing at the end of this week, there will be many moments that I can point to as the "turning point" and one of them will be today. With a full roster of batters with games, I ended up getting back 10/40, 2 runs, 3 RBIs and nothing else. What a huge lost opportunity to make up ground.
That is a bummer.

Here is the current score:

Runs 65-55 (losing)
HRs 18-16 (losing)
RBIs 61-63 (winning)
SBs 6-3 (losing)
AVG .294-.288 (losing)

Ks 69-104 (winning)
Wins 4-7 (winning)
Saves 3-5 (winning)
ERA .286-.435 (losing)
WHIP 1.27-1.42 (losing)

Quote:
2. With so many starters, I am forced to bench some closers. I have B. Wilson, Fuentes, Broxton and Wheeler active. Ayala, F. Francisco and Motte are on the bench. Is this the right active/bench mix? Note that I dropped Percival for Wheeler. Wheeler got the save tonight and has two games tomorrow. Percival did not travel with the team and is getting an epidural on Tuesday. I do not know why this news has been reported on Rotowire, but not Rotoworld. Shame, shame on the usually reliable Rotoworld. Not all of us are playing fantasy football only yet.
I'd bench Fuentes and start Francisco.
Quote:
3. Devine is still available. I am planning on picking him up tomorrow at 5:05 (i.e., right after the start of the first game of the day). If he gets any shots at closing, I need to make sure that my opponent does not grab him.
Good move.
Quote:
4. I dropped As. Cabrera for Bartlett for Tuesday. Bartlett has two games and I hope that he gets to play in both. I need steals. I am considering dropping Tejada for Velez, but I need to be nudged a bit into acting, I think.
Being down by 3 steals, you should drop Tejada for Velez immediately.
Quote:
6. Who should I use at the moment? N. Cruz, Shealy or Teahen? I sort of see this as a crap shoot. Texas plays at Arlington for the next two games. Probably good enough reason to stick with N. Cruz for now. Hope Outman does not get him out tomorrow.
I agree with Cruz. It's hard to see any Ranger player at Arlington.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:30 am 

1. Thanks for the nudge. Tejada is out. Bartlett slides to SS. Velez goes into Bartlett's vacated MI spot.

2. I am not trusting Mi. Cabrera to play today, so I dropped Motte (who was on the bench for today anyway) for Maybin (hoping for even more steals). Braun slides into Mi. Cabrera's 3B spot. Longoria goes into Braun's CI spot. Maybin goes into Longoria's UT spot. As an aside, I am not sure whether this is nutty or if I am the only person to do this - whenever I have two players, the better player gets to go into the "real" spot, so for example Mi. Cabrera has occupied 3B all year. Braun and Longoria, being youngsters, have had to sit in the CI and UT spots, respectively.

3. Fuentes is now benched and F. Francisco is in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next