It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Lolhamburger H2H Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:03 pm 

Ugh, I am suddenly totally buried in work, so this will need to be a brief update. Tuesday, September 2, went well overall. I ended today with a 9-1 advantage, losing only in runs. Here are my thoughts for tonight:

1. Thanks to 3-run contributions from each of A. Rodriguez and H. Ramirez today, I am now behind 13-17 in runs. Not very happy about this because I consider runs to be a more difficult category to catch up in compared to others. My sense is that teams rarely come from behind to win in runs in H2H. A four-run gap is not huge, of course, and there is plenty of time to catch up. But this will be a category that I will continue to worry about.

2. My lead in saves is up to 4-0. I do not think that my opponent's Jenks and F. Cordero will be able to keep pace with my seven (somewhat unreliable) closers. By the way, F. Francisco has been pitching fairly solidly since his promotion. Granted it was against Seattle, but 3 Ks to close out the game is still quite nice.

3. I used Casilla as my MI today and got back 1-4 and 1 run. With B. Wood gaining SS eligibility after tonight, I now have an interesting choice to make for the next few days. Should I go with Casilla, who is boring, but will hit for a decent average and add to my counting stats semi-predictably? Or should I go with B. Wood and the promise of his upside? If we were still in June, the answer to me would be easy; I would go with B. Wood and see what develops. But being in the middle of playoffs, I can see an argument for taking the safer approach, especially considering that I likely will not need Casilla to outperform expectations to win, but could lose if I get nothing from a batting spot.

- The fact that B. Wood is hitting 8th in the order makes a difference to me if Casilla will regularly hit second in the order. More at bats = more opportunity to add to my counting stats.

- During the initial call-up, B. Wood struck out 21 times in 64 at bats and never had a multi-hit game. Since being called up for second time, B. Wood has struck out 4 times in 18 at bats and has had 2 multi-hit games. Ridiculously small sample sizes, I know, but there is beginning to be evidence of improvement at the plate. I would not count on B. Wood to hit for any decent average, but it is important to gauge whether he is still completely overmatched or not.

- E. Patterson, C. Izturis, Bonifacio, Bartlett and Arias all are available alternatives to plug in at MI. Why do I mention this bunch? Because they are all likely to out-steal Casilla in any week. If I start to fall behind in steals, you can expect to hear me think more about turning to one of these guys. Steals is not a category where you can plan to catch up in late in any H2H matchup.

Umm, doh, back to work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:20 pm 

I think playing it safe with Casilla is the right way to go as of now.

If you need steals, C. Izturis would be my choice.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:11 pm 

Reporting in at the end of Wednesday, September 3. I currently am maintaining a 6-4 lead in the matchup. I had expected to be 7-3 by today. since it was unrealistic to expect the wins category to continue to be 0-0, with the tie going to me. I had not expected C. Perez and Percival to have poor outings, which coupled with Lincecum poor game from yesterday and decent starts for my opponent by O. Perez and Burnett today lead to the ERA category flipping.

Taking a break. Another post to come later tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:29 pm 

re: Percival -- Not sure why managers continue to bring closers in in non-save situations but without fail it always ends poorly.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:32 pm 

Doh! I lost a reply due to unknown Internet issues. Too late to re-type. Here is an abbreviated summary:

1. Having Percival on my team is like living under the Sword of Damocles. I am concerned about whether the knee/leg brace is affecting his pitching mechanics. Seems inevitable that he will get reinjured.

2. For my opponent's team, A. Rodriguez and H. Ramirez combined account for 13 of 28 runs, 3 of 4 HRs, 10 of 18 RBIs and both steals. Impressive. If any of his other players were better, I would be in big trouble.

3. Cameron has gone 0-8 for me this week and was held out from today's game. Of the last 8 at bats, he struck out in 5 of them. A cooling down period will happen sooner or later. I am monitoring for a pending slump.

Grey, I think that you're my only audience here, so thanks for keeping up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:36 pm 

Forgot to mention - I was going to add Dickerson today to use him tomorrow for one day duty. But another team in my league beat me to the add. Dickerson was added literally minutes after the first game started and locked the rosters. Harmless today, but this could be a good reminder to pay more attention to start time of games later on, especially as more teams start streaming pitchers in an attempt to come from behind.

I dropped Casilla for Milledge for tomorrow. Will go back to Casilla on Friday in all likelihood. B. Wood had another multihit game. Remember that he did not have even one multihit game in April, May and June before he was sent back down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:58 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I'm following but am in a slightly different time zone ;-)

All good stuff. I am in the first round of H2H playoffs too so following the updates with interest.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:11 am 

Nice on Damocles.

re: Wood -- I'm really liking what I've been seeing with him and need to mention him in Friday's Buy/Sell.

re: Cameron - I'm not sure how long you can wait for him to emerge. I was disappointed to see him benched against a lefty. Even if it was one (O. Perez) who he didn't have much prior success against.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:41 am 

A few quick words about today's schedule: With yesterday's KC-OAK game having been postponed due to rain, today becomes a doubleheader day for the two teams. To possible maximize the number of at bats that I get out of players for today, I decided to switch out Milledge for Butler. I started the season with Butler in my UT spot and dropped him after his lack of success earlier in the season, so it would be nice surprise if I were to get some unexpected dividends from him today. And I think that chances are fair too. Butler has been quietly very effective since having been called back up the minors.

Anyway, just a heads up that anyone in H2H for today with roster flexibility might want to consider some of the regulars from KC or OAK.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:11 am 

Good point. I loaded one of my H2H teams with Royals/A's -- Cust, Teahan and Butler.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next